Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 708

Problem offense or defense

I stayed away from CF last night after the game because I didn't want to see the meltdown that was bound to happen. So I am shocked that once I got here this morning of the amount of posters complaining about the offense.

Yes, our kicking game still sucks. But we had 410 yards on offense. The problem was that we gave up 457 yards on defense. UNI's punter could have just stayed home for this game. Luke Knott was a pleasant surprise in the second half and gave me some hope, but for the most part it looked like we were playing with only 8 guys on d.

Good news for the people melting down:

1. Iowa lost too.
    2. 64 days until our first basketball game.

“I’ll put any dollar that if I get this ball again,” Long said, “It’s going in.”
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,807
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 703

Re: Problem offense or defense

Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    I stayed away from CF last night after the game because I didn't want to see the meltdown that was bound to happen. So I am shocked that once I got here this morning of the amount of posters complaining about the offense.

Yes, our kicking game still sucks. But we had 410 yards on offense. The problem was that we gave up 457 yards on defense. UNI's punter could have just stayed home for this game. Luke Knott was a pleasant surprise in the second half and gave me some hope, but for the most part it looked like we were playing with only 8 guys on d.

Good news for the people melting down:

1. Iowa lost too.
    2. 64 days until our first basketball game.
    Too long.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 7

I agree the defense was crappy too but I think it was some what expected. The offense was suppose to take a large step forward from last year and that didn't happen...pathetic.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 182

20 Points is the problem with the offense. 20 points. 20 ******* points. I don't care what team you are in the Big 12 today if you only score 20 points you are going to win ZERO games. Teams need to score 30 points to have a shot. I don't care how many yards you rack up you have to find the endzone.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 606

Two fieldgoals allowed in the second half and one as the result of the defense was a masterful adjustment by the UNI defense. The fourth quarter reminded me of the end to the WVU game where everything went south to the projected SEZ.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 865
    Given: 415

Defense was crap but at least it showed some improvement in the second half. Offense was the same bad offense we've been seeing the last 4 years.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 193

We needed help from the offense last night. Wally and crew were breaking in a ton of new players. The offense was returning a higher percentage of experience. Defense sucked, but they got it tightened up eventually. With any kind of competence on offense, this was a 41-28 victory. We would be nervous this morning, but we would be 1-0. Instead, we have a dumpster fire.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

First, the offense: Farniok simply played too large a role on the offense. Losing him and then moving in the second string guy from his first string position at guard (I think it was?) had the effect of putting 2 second string guys on the line, one who was a true second string guy, one who doesn't know the center position as well as his main position. Altogether, the combination of the two proved too much for our offense.

If the line can't provide protection, you can't pass. If you can't pass, they know you are going to run. If they know you are going to run, they shut down your running backs. When the rbs get shut down, we end up with things like last night where Richardson has to run the ball half the time.

At this point, where this offense is, we cannot afford to have Richardson get injured. If that were to happen, we would go from having a mediocre offense to no offense at all.

Secondly, the D. Luke Knott. Why was he not in the entire game? The touchdowns before he came in were a direct result of UNI being able to not only beat our line, but being able to completely outplay our linebackers. The way that our starting linebackers played has no business being allowed on a high school football team, let alone at a Big XII university.

Third: The missed FG. As I've said, absolutely boneheaded playcalling. 4th and 5 with 35 seconds left against a team that knows they get the ball back after the half? You go for that EVERY SINGLE TIME. The call for a field goal is simply inexcusable. Going for it there and scoring would have completely changed the tempo of the game going into halftime.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Defense was crap but at least it showed some improvement in the second half. Offense was the same bad offense we've been seeing the last 4 years.
    That's the thing that concerns me the most about the offense. The defense got rocked early on like they didn't know what hit them out of the gate. But then they settled down, Wally made the necessary adjustments, and only allowed 7 pts for a little over a half of football. That should have been enough to win the game IMO.

The offense, however, just got worse as the game went on. That's what disturbs me the most. The offensive coaches learned nothing as the game went on. Couldn't come up with any adjustments to what UNI was doing defensively. That is scary stuff. 6 pts total in the entire 2nd half against an FCS team that handed you the ball twice inside their own redzone. That is beyond pathetic.

So if you just go by the game stats, it looks like the defense was the problem, and yes they did struggle mightily early on, but they got a lot better as the game went on. The offense got worse. That is disturbing on a lot of levels.

Walk On
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 135

I agree that the defense looked bad, but we knew they were young. Knott played well, the rest just seemed to not know what to do or where to go. Particularly disappointed in George, Miller, and Sam B. Richardson.

But our offense has to be better than that. We have a stable of great running backs, and a quarterback who apparently is competent for the first time since Arnaud left.

It's great that we put up a whole lot of yards, but in the end, all that matters is points. If our defense tightened down in the second half and gave our offense a chance to win the game. Our offense responded with 2 field goals (once after being stopped twice inside the 5, if I remember correctly), and that's it. It's not even like we were turning the ball over, we were just inept.

If UNI held us to 20, 6 in the second half, and can stuff us inside the 5 twice, I really, really shudder to think about what Texas or OU or even Iowa will do to us. Our defense was never going to be able to stop the Big 12 teams completely (especially OSU, Baylor, etc), but this was the year that our offense needed to (and was expected to) carry their own weight, and then some. If we can't put up at least 4 TD's in any given game, we can't expect to win that game.

And it certainly doesn't look like we'll be putting up 4 TDs anytime soon.

"There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,164
    Given: 3,722

The answer to the question in the thread title is "yes".

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr