Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 146

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

Re: Williams: Black Saturday

Nicely done. A couple things that you hinted at which ran through my mind right before sleeping this game off a little:

1. Sam's in trouble. Looks like he can probably be the guy, but 21 carries and a line that doesn't seem to mind watching him get crushed is a bad combination for that guy. He simply isn't going to last like that.

2. CPR and the fans have mentioned that 3 wins in conference play isn't enough. If we want to go bowling now, it takes a minimum of 4 conference wins, assuming we beat Tulsa and Iowa. With yesterday's effort, that's a huge assumption, but they didn't look good, either.

There's still time to salvage this thing. I don't have any evidence for it from yesterday's all-around failure, because nothing indicates even a chance at victory as the teams get tougher. We've gotten ourselves in trouble.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Well said. I think we're all going to have to face the fact, as fans, that it's going to be "one of those years." As baffling as confounding as it may be, our team is going to be very bad if last night is evidence of how good they are or aren't. My hope is that we improve squeak out some wins. But as a realistic Cyclone fan, I will be happy when they win, but I am not expecting them to, especially in this league and with the 6th toughest schedule in the nation. GO CYCLONES!!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,897

I'm not surprised this happened. You lose 7 starters from last years defense and your going to struggle.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    I'm not surprised this happened. You lose 7 starters from last years defense and your going to struggle.
    I agree. Some elements of basic football have plagued the Rhoads regime since its inception. Inability to recruit wide receivers good enough to get separation, Lack of a consistent running game, and suspect play calling on offense has held this football program back and until that changes its going to be a year to year struggle.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    I agree. Some elements of basic football have plagued the Rhoads regime since its inception. Inability to recruit wide receivers good enough to get separation, Lack of a consistent running game, and suspect play calling on offense has held this football program back and until that changes its going to be a year to year struggle.
    Agree. And why no one sees it is beyond me. We just simply will not commit to the running game and our QB is carrying the ball way too many times. PR keeps saying in post game shows we need to call better plays. Then find someone to call the damn plays then. Getting real tired of this offense, the biggest issue is that it isn't one thing, it is poor performance everywhere on offense. The crazy thing is, all my questions were answered last night. Actually, I knew after the K State game last year, I just didn't want to admit it.

I think SR can be a good QB, but he won't last in this offense. Maybe a game or two more taking hits like this. Just not acceptable for him to be carrying the ball like that. AA was much bigger and was always hurt because he took too many hits. It is insane to have the QB running that many times. Give the ball to the running backs for god sake. People keep telling me we have 4 or 5 good ones and yet they never get the ball.

Are there tight ends on this team? I ask because no one ever throws them the ball.

It appears UNI had 4 lockdown corners, much like ever other team we have played in the past 5 years. Nobody, that was actually brought here on scholarship can get open.

O line? Not even sure where to start there. And it isn't just Farniok being out, they were awful last year.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    Agree. And why no one sees it is beyond me. We just simply will not commit to the running game and our QB is carrying the ball way too many times. PR keeps saying in post game shows we need to call better plays. Then find someone to call the damn plays then. Getting real tired of this offense, the biggest issue is that it isn't one thing, it is poor performance everywhere on offense. The crazy thing is, all my questions were answered last night. Actually, I knew after the K State game last year, I just didn't want to admit it.

I think SR can be a good QB, but he won't last in this offense. Maybe a game or two more taking hits like this. Just not acceptable for him to be carrying the ball like that. AA was much bigger and was always hurt because he took too many hits. It is insane to have the QB running that many times. Give the ball to the running backs for god sake. People keep telling me we have 4 or 5 good ones and yet they never get the ball.

Are there tight ends on this team? I ask because no one ever throws them the ball.

It appears UNI had 4 lockdown corners, much like ever other team we have played in the past 5 years. Nobody, that was actually brought here on scholarship can get open.

O line? Not even sure where to start there. And it isn't just Farniok being out, they were awful last year.

This is a perfect summation of what we're looking at for this season. And it isn't pretty. Heck, UNI even tried to hand us the game and we still p****d it down our leg. The score doesn't even resemble what happened on that football field. UNI dominated us and should have won by a lot more.

Our offense is still just pathetic. I'm not sure what Rhoads sees in Messingham's ability to call a game? He's holding this offense back tremendously IMO. As Rhoads commented, UNI studied us well and basically knew exactly what we were going to do. To me, that's a sign of just horrible coaching on our part.

Klenakis- so much for any hope that this guy was the answer to our OL problems. All this talk about how nasty we were becoming and how much better blockers we were becoming under him. A bunch of nonsense. UNI dominated our OL all night. Pushed us around and made us look silly. So much for his cute little new OL positions he uses with a Q-Tackle and a Q-Guard. Who gives a crap about all that BS... just teach them how to block and undersized man that has no business being on the same field with you. That's all that's needed. Klenakis definitely did not earn a paycheck last night.

Defensively- we are what some of thought we'd be. VERY weak in the front seven. We're ok in the secondary, but that doesn't really matter when you can't force the other team to have to throw the ball. Same old story, different season. Game over.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Black Saturday is a pretty good way to sum this all up. This is one of the worst overall losses in the last 15 years or so. This is because we all thought "this isn't your father's ISU", and all the momentum that the program had built: it is basically lost. The program was supposedly better than losing to FCS programs in front of your sold-out home crowd. I wish it weren't true but I already feel like this season is lost , which really sucks because I love ISU football...

Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    Black Saturday is a pretty good way to sum this all up. This is one of the worst overall losses in the last 15 years or so. This is because we all thought "this isn't your father's ISU", and all the momentum that the program had built: it is basically lost. The program was supposedly better than losing to FCS programs in front of your sold-out home crowd. I wish it weren't true but I already feel like this season is lost , which really sucks because I love ISU football...
    I agree with you. This one is hard to swallow because it's not like we had 5 turnovers or something and UNI won because we handed it to them. No, they just came out and dominated us physically, mentally, athletically, and schematically. It was a full beat down. The last two games have been this way. It's becoming a pattern.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

While at times the OLine struggled, I thought many times they Gave SR some good initial time, to me, as others, my concerns is our wide receivers aren't getting open. Is it the routes, or is it the athletes, Messingham, or all three.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    This is a perfect summation of what we're looking at for this season. And it isn't pretty. Heck, UNI even tried to hand us the game and we still p****d it down our leg. The score doesn't even resemble what happened on that football field. UNI dominated us and should have won by a lot more.

Our offense is still just pathetic. I'm not sure what Rhoads sees in Messingham's ability to call a game? He's holding this offense back tremendously IMO. As Rhoads commented, UNI studied us well and basically knew exactly what we were going to do. To me, that's a sign of just horrible coaching on our part.

Klenakis- so much for any hope that this guy was the answer to our OL problems. All this talk about how nasty we were becoming and how much better blockers we were becoming under him. A bunch of nonsense. UNI dominated our OL all night. Pushed us around and made us look silly. So much for his cute little new OL positions he uses with a Q-Tackle and a Q-Guard. Who gives a crap about all that BS... just teach them how to block and undersized man that has no business being on the same field with you. That's all that's needed. Klenakis definitely did not earn a paycheck last night.

Defensively- we are what some of thought we'd be. VERY weak in the front seven. We're ok in the secondary, but that doesn't really matter when you can't force the other team to have to throw the ball. Same old story, different season. Game over.
    Honest question did you watch the offensive line before Farniok went down? They were destroying UNI up front. Did you play on the offensive line? I did and there is no harder in game transition for the offensive line to make then when your center goes down and then to move redshirt freshman in there making his first start. Please just stop with the BS posts.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Honest question did you watch the offensive line before Farniok went down? They were destroying UNI up front. Did you play on the offensive line? I did and there is no harder in game transition for the offensive line to make then when your center goes down and then to move redshirt freshman in there making his first start. Please just stop with the BS posts.
    Just another person that will find excuses as to why we lost to a far inferior team again. UNI was playing with 3 brand new OL this season. They still found a way to dominate us.

There are no excuses for losing to UNI. None. At least there shouldn't be. We should be to the point where our backups should be able to beat their starters.

But go ahead and keep finding excuses for this football team and it's coaches.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

I agree. I thought the new pistol offense was going to add more "wrinkles" and make it tougher for the defense to read. By CPR's own admission, this didn't work.

I disagree..somewhat. The offense did move the ball until it got into the red zone. As others stated, I found the play calling a bit bewildering. I remember one particular series in the red zone. 1st down, Woody went up the middle for a 4 or 5 yard gain. They we tried to run Woody off tackle and lost 3 or 4 yards. Woody's a good back but he is a north-south runner. It was like ISU had the wrong back in for that play.

We couldn't stop anything off tackle. The tackling was Charles Barkley turrible. Jerimiah George took some bad angles on run plays.

IMO, the blame can be assigned as 60% the fault of the offense, 30% defense, 10% special teams. The offense was suppose to be the more experienced group. They failed to convert when needed in the red zone. Do they not have a Green Bay Packereque (Favre-Chamura) play action pass-throw to the tight end type play to use on first down in the red zone?

and as usual, ISU can't win if the opposing team scores more than 24 points.

Last edited by Althetuna; 09-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    I used to be cool. Now... I secretly listen to Abba in my car.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

Just another person that will find excuses as to why we lost to a far inferior team again. UNI was playing with 3 brand new OL this season. They still found a way to dominate us.

There are no excuses for losing to UNI. None. At least there shouldn't be. We should be to the point where our backups should be able to beat their starters.

But go ahead and keep finding excuses for this football team and it's coaches.
    No excuses here. Our defense was as bad at any time under Rhoads. But your rant on the offensive was complete BS unless you have any idea what a center means to that unit and I take you don't.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 54

Klenakis- so much for any hope that this guy was the answer to our OL problems. All this talk about how nasty we were becoming and how much better blockers we were becoming under him. A bunch of nonsense. UNI dominated our OL all night. Pushed us around and made us look silly.
    I think I started that talk with what I thought I saw at the Gridiron Cub scrimmage. Boy, was I off after last night.