Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 279

Scalpers at Jack Trice

Have you noticed how we seem to have the same set of scalpers at Jack Trice for most games, especially when it is a seller's market like this week? Who are these guys? I've heard that they are from Minneapolis. They seem to have a nice system with guys who work the lots (some on bikes) with "Need Tickets" signs and other guys who sell on the street near Jack Trice.

Who sells their tickets to these guys? They can't be paying very much or it wouldn't be worth their while to be there. Do season ticket holders not recognize that these guys are making lots of money selling to fans of the visiting team and gouging Iowa State fans? I suspect that they may buy some season tickets themselves and sell those, but I'm particularly concerned about Iowa State fans "giving" away their extra tickets to these guys in the parking lot as if they were Cyclone fans.

Further, why don't the Ames/Iowa State police run these guys off? If this were Chicago or Minneapolis, it would be because the cops and university are getting paid off by the guys, but I don't think that is happening here.

Pardon the rave, but I just get really frustrated seeing these guys with the "Need Tickets" signs who obviously aren't Iowa State fans. One guy usually has a Cal hat on. I would never sell a ticket to these guys, but somebody must because they are always in the parking lots working the fans. Maybe we should have a Cyclone Fanatic follow these guys and tell people what is going on, matching the price, and promising to make the ticket available only to Cyclone fans without gouging them. Or maybe follow them with a video camera. Maybe we could create a Cyclone Fanatic non-gouging service. I don't mind a free market economy. I just hate seeing these guys getting good tickets cheap from Cyclone fans and then turning around and selling them to visitors or gouging Cyclone fans.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,317
    Given: 124

Re: Scalpers at Jack Trice

I don't think it's against the law in Iowa?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 233

I heard the one guy on a bike(who I've seen at many home games) tell someone that he had a family reunion this weekend and was trying to gather tickets for his whole family. He then offered to pay about half of the face value on the tickets he was trying to buy.

I'm guessing there are some good buys if you spend the time looking in the tailgate lots. There is always someone who has an extra ticket who is drunk, or just doesn't want to have stand in front of the gates trying to sell them.

Seems pretty scummy to me, but as long as there is a market for it this will happen.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Have you noticed how we seem to have the same set of scalpers at Jack Trice for most games, especially when it is a seller's market like this week? Who are these guys? I've heard that they are from Minneapolis. They seem to have a nice system with guys who work the lots (some on bikes) with "Need Tickets" signs and other guys who sell on the street near Jack Trice.

Who sells their tickets to these guys? They can't be paying very much or it wouldn't be worth their while to be there. Do season ticket holders not recognize that these guys are making lots of money selling to fans of the visiting team and gouging Iowa State fans? I suspect that they may buy some season tickets themselves and sell those, but I'm particularly concerned about Iowa State fans "giving" away their extra tickets to these guys in the parking lot as if they were Cyclone fans.

Further, why don't the Ames/Iowa State police run these guys off? If this were Chicago or Minneapolis, it would be because the cops and university are getting paid off by the guys, but I don't think that is happening here.

Pardon the rave, but I just get really frustrated seeing these guys with the "Need Tickets" signs who obviously aren't Iowa State fans. One guy usually has a Cal hat on. I would never sell a ticket to these guys, but somebody must because they are always in the parking lots working the fans. Maybe we should have a Cyclone Fanatic follow these guys and tell people what is going on, matching the price, and promising to make the ticket available only to Cyclone fans without gouging them. Or maybe follow them with a video camera. Maybe we could create a Cyclone Fanatic non-gouging service. I don't mind a free market economy. I just hate seeing these guys getting good tickets cheap from Cyclone fans and then turning around and selling them to visitors or gouging Cyclone fans.

I guess for me, scalpers serve a necessary market. I like to know it is an option to pick up an extra set. Buyer beware mainly. If you don't want to pay market price, you can keep looking.

And if the police are not aggressive, it just makes ISU fans more comfortable to buy and sell tickets to each other. Most times, I will sell mine for face value or less if I see it is an ISU fan buying.

I agree with what you are saying that it is the same guys, but I am not sure I agree that they are making a ton of money. Whenever I have an extra ticket or two, I generally skip these guys because they will definitely low-ball you on a purchase. But if you think of all the time and money they put into the effort, not sure scalping ISU football tickets would be a profitable line of work. If the weather turns south on them, they are holding a big fist of tickets that they can hardly give away.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15

Huh?

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 262

Nothing wrong with scalpers, they serve a purpose and it is legal in Iowa. For which I'm glad, it sucks going somewhere scalping isn't legal and trying to get a ticket last minute.

It is scummy if some of them are lying to get people to sell them tickets cheap so they can mark them up though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 97

Scalping is not illegal in Iowa. Many states and jurisdictions have laws regulating or banning scalping (for example I think Lexington, KY has a city-specific law about scalping intended for Kentucky basketball).

Iowa has no regulations at all on scalping.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I don't think it's against the law in Iowa?

Legality isn't my main point. Cyclone fans "dumping" their extra tickets to these guys is my main point. If folks take 10 minutes to walk around near Jack Trice, they will find real Cyclone fans who will gladly pay the same price as the scalpers, but not feed into the gouging that these guys do. And I don't have the same issue with Cyclone fans who gouge the visiting team (that is another issue). I just can't imagine giving my extra tickets to these "pros" at a bargain.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 97

Legality isn't my main point.
    So what would be your reasoning for the police "run[ning] these guys off" when what they are doing is 100% legal?

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 316

I remember seeing the same guy every week back in the 80's early 90's. I never understood that. You could buy a hillside ticket for $5 and sit anywhere you wanted. Especially in the 2nd half.
    One time he was trying to gouge a couple of kids and a friend of mine that had two extra tickets walked over and handed the kids the tickets and said here you can have these for free. The scalper didn't look too happy.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    I heard the one guy on a bike(who I've seen at many home games) tell someone that he had a family reunion this weekend and was trying to gather tickets for his whole family. He then offered to pay about half of the face value on the tickets he was trying to buy.

I'm guessing there are some good buys if you spend the time looking in the tailgate lots. There is always someone who has an extra ticket who is drunk, or just doesn't want to have stand in front of the gates trying to sell them.

Seems pretty scummy to me, but as long as there is a market for it this will happen.

This is the sort of thing that really torques me. Are Cyclone fans so dumb that they don't know what this guy is doing? Even drunk, I wouldn't dump my tickets to a guy on a bike, with a Cal hat, and a well-worn "Need Tickets" sign (that has "Need Tickets?" on the other side)!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 262

Legality isn't my main point. Cyclone fans "dumping" their extra tickets to these guys is my main point. If folks take 10 minutes to walk around near Jack Trice, they will find real Cyclone fans who will gladly pay the same price as the scalpers, but not feed into the gouging that these guys do. And I don't have the same issue with Cyclone fans who gouge the visiting team (that is another issue). I just can't imagine giving my extra tickets to these "pros" at a bargain.
    Because not everybody wants to walk around asking if anybody wants a ticket. They are a middleman and when they buy tickets off people they take a risk that they won't be able to resell them. If somebody is going around lying to people to get them to part with their tickets then that's one thing, but your problem seems to be with scalping in general.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

We've had a hard enough time just selling the tickets at all in the past. I'm glad we're finally at this point.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 20

Last time I checked someone can do whatever they want with their tickets, whether that be find "a true Cyclone fan" or dump them to a scalper. Big deal either way.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 37

I sold some extra tickets 2 years ago to them for face value - it was a bigger game and i probably could have got more money but the weather wasn't great and i wanted to tailgate. I am sure that they made a 25% return off my tix, but they took the time and risk. They were professional about it the whole deal.........obviously they tried to low ball me at first but we ended up working out a deal fair to both sides.