Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 310

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 403

Re: Three thoughts on Thursday: Should the rookies play?

Interesting to hear CW say that we have more and better options at LB than most of us think. From what I've seen of Meeks, I was thinking he should play this year. He brings a size and presence at LB that is similar to a young Klein or Knott. Unless I thought that a redshirt year would make him a lot better, I wouldn't do it. I think his development is going to have to happen on the field during games whether he has a redshirt year or not. However, Kane Seeley's development is the x-factor. If he can step up and make a regular, solid contribution, then it does make the Meeks redshirt more of a possibility. My gut still says play Meeks a lot, particularly to help stop the run. An improved d-line with two LBs who are strong on the run, while we are strongest at DB, would be a good situation for us. The bottom line is how much we think Meeks would improve with a redshirt year. Of course, he would make some gains, but I still tend to think his development will happen on the field. If that is true, then it is a matter of what season that starts, this or next. And I think we need it this year. If we can be strong again on defense in a weaker Big 12 that doesn't have the great passers, this can be a breakout year for us.

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 627

I really think you should only pull a redshirt if the guy is a total stud or it is a position where you are extremely weak. I hate having a guy play a few plays at his worst (true freshman) at the expense of being a starter at his best (5th year senior).

Think how awesome it would be if our linebacker corps this year was Knott, Klein, and George. With George having another year left after this season.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,159
    Given: 310

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Interesting to hear CW say that we have more and better options at LB than most of us think.
    I'm saying this about the SLB position, where more of a hybrid guy can play. Guys like Brackens, Broomfield, Knott, etc.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 301

Good read. If Meeks and Tribune are as good as advertised, then I'd hate to see them burn a year of eligibility on mop-up duty and/or a little bit of PT on special teams. But if injuries dictate the need to play them extensively in key situations, then it's reassuring to know that the staff thinks they're capable of playing well at this stage of their career.