Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 0

Starting offensive line...

Although this is a repeat of the other post on the tribune podcast I wanted to chime in on some thoughts to their podcast and my thoughts before kickoff, although what the hell do I know.

first, if you are going to have a podcast in an effort to attract readers and listeners you just lost 95% of cyclone nation as that could have been the most depressing pre season podcast in Isu history. According to them, Tuftee not starting basically just conceded the season and ISU should probably just forfeit the season right now. What I will say is that not starting Tuftee as I've said in a previous post makes perfect sense to me. Yes he's a senior and yes he is/was Isus second best returning olineman(let's not forget the most important part of the oline and that is Farniok), make no mistake that he holds the entire glue to the offensive lines success, but Isus entire offensive scheme and blocking scheme has changed from a stand up technique with the shotgun spread qb option read to the pistol. What the pistol offense requires is offensive lineman who are strong yet leaner and quick. You have a lot of pulling guards in the offense and my guess is that both Lalk and Burton have fresh legs coupled with the fact that timing is always critical with an offensive line along with continuity and if Tuftee has missed several practices along with not being the most mobile and quick on his feet guards then starting Lalk makes a lot of sense.

Listening to the podcast was an exercise in what not to learn about football. On paper I can see that Tuftee not starting could raise concern but not to the point of doomsday as he will play and the coaches are actually smart in allowing 2 more young guys the chance to build greater depth on the oline heading into conf play. Tuftee is no KO. The other part of the podcast was them discussing the wr position and someone mentioning that Jarvis needs to be that big play threat. Jarvis IMO might see the field only in reverses and occasional mop up duty. Bundrage, Ecby, Daley and Brun I think will give ISU that wr threat that is needed to stretch the field and keep safeties honest. Bundrage is a faster better Reynolds. If IsU can have a guy or better yet two guys at wr who are a threat to go deep I think is the hole key to the offense this year as that more than anything has been lacking and defenses have been able to stack 7 in the box and destroy what was our delayed, shotgun, wait 2 seconds to hand off crap running game. With the pistol this will change significantly and for the better. An X factor is the fact that ISU will have 3 capable and 1 potentially all conf TE who will be not only in blocking for the pistol but always be a real threat in the passing game and not just on one side of the oline but both sides and this IMO will drastically change our offensive production and make it difficult for defenses to just spy our running game.

With that said, am I saying ISU will win the NC, no, but ISU this year will have an offense that will be leaps and bounds better than last years with a far better chance at a more productive running game than we've seen since CPR came in.

ISU- 38
    UNI- 21

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 603

Re: Starting offensive line...

So, in other words, you're complaining about their podcast, rather than actually talking about the offensive line?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,434
    Given: 2,229

Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    Although this is a repeat of the other post on the tribune podcast I wanted to chime in on some thoughts to their podcast and my thoughts before kickoff, although what the hell do I know.

first, if you are going to have a podcast in an effort to attract readers and listeners you just lost 95% of cyclone nation as that could have been the most depressing pre season podcast in Isu history. According to them, Tuftee not starting basically just conceded the season and ISU should probably just forfeit the season right now. What I will say is that not starting Tuftee as I've said in a previous post makes perfect sense to me. Yes he's a senior and yes he is/was Isus second best returning olineman(let's not forget the most important part of the oline and that is Farniok), make no mistake that he holds the entire glue to the offensive lines success, but Isus entire offensive scheme and blocking scheme has changed from a stand up technique with the shotgun spread qb option read to the pistol. What the pistol offense requires is offensive lineman who are strong yet leaner and quick. You have a lot of pulling guards in the offense and my guess is that both Lalk and Burton have fresh legs coupled with the fact that timing is always critical with an offensive line along with continuity and if Tuftee has missed several practices along with not being the most mobile and quick on his feet guards then starting Lalk makes a lot of sense.

Listening to the podcast was an exercise in what not to learn about football. On paper I can see that Tuftee not starting could raise concern but not to the point of doomsday as he will play and the coaches are actually smart in allowing 2 more young guys the chance to build greater depth on the oline heading into conf play. Tuftee is no KO. The other part of the podcast was them discussing the wr position and someone mentioning that Jarvis needs to be that big play threat. Jarvis IMO might see the field only in reverses and occasional mop up duty. Bundrage, Ecby, Daley and Brun I think will give ISU that wr threat that is needed to stretch the field and keep safeties honest. Bundrage is a faster better Reynolds. If IsU can have a guy or better yet two guys at wr who are a threat to go deep I think is the hole key to the offense this year as that more than anything has been lacking and defenses have been able to stack 7 in the box and destroy what was our delayed, shotgun, wait 2 seconds to hand off crap running game. With the pistol this will change significantly and for the better. An X factor is the fact that ISU will have 3 capable and 1 potentially all conf TE who will be not only in blocking for the pistol but always be a real threat in the passing game and not just on one side of the oline but both sides and this IMO will drastically change our offensive production and make it difficult for defenses to just spy our running game.

With that said, am I saying ISU will win the NC, no, but ISU this year will have an offense that will be leaps and bounds better than last years with a far better chance at a more productive running game than we've seen since CPR came in.

ISU- 38
    UNI- 21
    tl;dr

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 474

Am I the only guy who doesn't give 2 piles of dung about the depth chart? I'll judge this team by the on-field play no matter who Paul rolls out there.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    So, in other words, you're complaining about their podcast, rather than actually talking about the offensive line?
    I did talk about the oline mostly. Sorry guys thought I would give a little more up beat perspective given i am close with someone in the program and have been told a few things.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Am I the only guy who doesn't give 2 piles of dung about the depth chart? I'll judge this team by the on-field play no matter who Paul rolls out there.
    This. If we can control the line of scrimmage, rush for 200+, thus opening up a solid passing game, then the line has done their job. And I could care less who's out there because if they accomplish that, then they're the right guys.

Some need reminded of this, much like many need/needed reminded of something similar during basketball season....TRUST PAUL

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 457

Haha, did you actually listen to the podcast? What they discussed was that a team like ISU has to worry about the domino effect of one of their best players going down (kind of like how last season losing Knott impacted more than just that one position) and they talked about that in the context of Tuftee. They never said anything about the season being lost or anything like that.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill people.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 25

I like your fire but I think we may have listened to two different podcasts. Chris and Brent seemed more surprised than worried about Tuftee not starting. They seemed to see it as a good thing that underclassmen were beating out upperclassmen.

ISU- 38
    UNI- 21

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,224

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    I like your fire but I think we may have listened to two different podcasts. Chris and Brent seemed more surprised than worried about Tuftee not starting. They seemed to see it as a good thing that underclassmen were beating out upperclassmen.
    Chris and Brent didn't do the Tribune podcast...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 474

I did talk about the oline mostly. Sorry guys thought I would give a little more up beat perspective given i am close with someone in the program and have been told a few things.
    Is what you were told generally positive? I presume it was. Specifics would be great if you are free to divulge.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Chris and Brent didn't do the Tribune podcast...
    Nothing to see here. I though he was referring to Monday's podcast.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61

That post was far too long

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Haha, did you actually listen to the podcast? What they discussed was that a team like ISU has to worry about the domino effect of one of their best players going down (kind of like how last season losing Knott impacted more than just that one position) and they talked about that in the context of Tuftee. They never said anything about the season being lost or anything like that.

Unfortunately I listened to the entire podcast and yes I know they talked about it being a possible domino effect but that is ridiculous, just because a player is banged up and might have limited pt doesn't mean it will trickle, it was a poor argument and dumb. It's not like Tuftee is out he's going to play. I just think its not as devastating as they made it out to be.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post

You mean person? I guess I didn't see a bunch of people making a mountain out of a molehill. No need to email Bobby LeGesse.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    This is how I view it. It excites me to see Rogers get the start as well. The idea that we have recruited over upper classman talent is the goal for any program. Worst case scenario is if the young guy goes out, there is an experienced player behind them eager to earn back their spot. To me, its all good good good.