Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 90,530, Level: 93
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    90,530
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,128
    Given: 56

    Lei's Vietnamese

    Anybody know if that place is still open? I'll be coming to the game Saturday (first game since CPR's first game!) and haven't been to Lei's since college almost ten years ago. Anyone know if this little hidden gem with excellent, cheap Vietnamese food is still around?



  2. #2
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,129, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,285
    Points
    600,129
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,277
    Given: 114

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Anybody know if that place is still open? I'll be coming to the game Saturday (first game since CPR's first game!) and haven't been to Lei's since college almost ten years ago. Anyone know if this little hidden gem with excellent, cheap Vietnamese food is still around?
    as far as I know it's still open. My wife introduced me to it a long time ago. Very good place. They make a really good chicken and water chestnuts in brown sauce dish that I'm not 100% sure is on the menu, but will still make if you ask for it. And their cream cheese wantons are just about the best thing on the planet.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 649,222, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,094
    Points
    649,222
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,686
    Given: 172

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    There's Yelp reviews from a couple weeks ago so I'm guessing yes.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 90,530, Level: 93
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    90,530
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,128
    Given: 56

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    as far as I know it's still open. My wife introduced me to it a long time ago. Very good place. They make a really good chicken and water chestnuts in brown sauce dish that I'm not 100% sure is on the menu, but will still make if you ask for it. And their cream cheese wantons are just about the best thing on the planet.
    I still have dreams about their cream cheese wontons. That's really the main reason I want to go. Their helpings for the price have always even very generous as well.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,536, Level: 96
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,514
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,248
    Points
    95,536
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 139

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Yes it is, but I wouldn't recommend eating there, it is after all, in Ames, and there couldn't possibly be any good restaurants here. (Sarcasm hopefully evident, it is in the same location and is as good as ever)



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 90,530, Level: 93
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    90,530
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,128
    Given: 56

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    I'm bringing the girlfriend and she's from Indiana, so I wanted something unique to Ames. I don't eat meat, so Hickory Park was out of the question, plus I didn't want to wait for five hours for seating, so I narrowed it down to Lei's and Great Plains.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 35,386, Level: 57
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    854
    Points
    35,386
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 78

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Still open. Love the shrimp rolls with peanut sauce and basically everything on the back page of the menu.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 433,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,882
    Points
    433,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Beef fried rice sitting on my desk from Le's right now.



  9. #9
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    497,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,028

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Still open, still amazing. Seriously, get the cream cheese wontons. You're welcome.


    M 7/09

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 37,982, Level: 60
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Cyclonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,977
    Points
    37,982
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 915

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I'm bringing the girlfriend and she's from Indiana, so I wanted something unique to Ames. I don't eat meat, so Hickory Park was out of the question, plus I didn't want to wait for five hours for seating, so I narrowed it down to Lei's and Great Plains.
    IMO, I would go Great Plains then. Although you are looking at a long wait depending at the time you go then.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 26,482, Level: 49
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,115
    Points
    26,482
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 63

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Good that the place is still open (haven't been back since 2002) - the owner was really nice.



  12. #12
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    497,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,028

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    Good that the place is still open (haven't been back since 2002) - the owner was really nice.
    Kay is great, she's super-nice. She also takes a ton of pride in the quality of the ingredients, I had a friend who worked there and was just amazed how picky Kay was about the food.

    Le's is still in Colorado Junction. You can always go get a gyro at Pammel for dessert, too. :)


    M 7/09

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,887, Level: 83
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,544
    Points
    71,887
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 156

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Kay is great, she's super-nice. She also takes a ton of pride in the quality of the ingredients, I had a friend who worked there and was just amazed how picky Kay was about the food.

    Le's is still in Colorado Junction. You can always go get a gyro at Pammel for dessert, too. :)
    Kay is the best. Don't think I have ever seen her not smiling. Her daughter is the same way when she's working... I think she may be in college now though.

    I always get the mix Vermicelli!


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  14. #14
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    497,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,028

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Kay is the best. Don't think I have ever seen her not smiling. Her daughter is the same way when she's working... I think she may be in college now though.

    I always get the mix Vermicelli!
    YES! Her daughter is so sweet. I think you're right, she's only there during breaks and such. Just the cutest little thing.

    It's actually like the owner's wife (I can't think of her name at the moment) and the daughter at House of Chen. Both just SO nice.


    M 7/09

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 649,222, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,094
    Points
    649,222
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,686
    Given: 172

    Re: Lei's Vietnamese

    You guys know a shocking amount about the proprietors of your favorite restaurants.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM