Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

2017 Recruit?

Ok, so my title is a little misleading. My oldest daughter is a 6' middle that graduates in 2017. Current Approach touch 9'5" and we have been told she definitely has potential from D2 coaches. My question is how did some of you get your daughter noticed outside of your local schools? When did you know she would be a recruit and how did you go about figuring out what level she could play at? Living in Central Arkansas, the level of volleyball seems a little lower than other areas. She is in JO and has a private instructor to help her gain the skills. I realize very few athletes realize the dream to compete at a high d1 level but since my wife and I are diehard Cyclones and she grew up a Cyclone, just thought I would check with the experts here to see if I can gain any insight to help her. Attached is a very short clip of a couple hits from one of her recent lessons.

trim.XRKBhE.MOV

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,281
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 223

Re: 2017 Recruit?

are there traveling AAU teams in volleyball, like in basketball? That would at least get her some exposure outside your region.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes. That is Junior Olympic and you are correct, that's where girls get noticed. Challenge is finding a club in our region that has enough talent to compete at Nationals. That's what we are working on for this season trying to figure out which club gives her the best chance.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,008
    Given: 994

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Yes. That is Junior Olympic and you are correct, that's where girls get noticed. Challenge is finding a club in our region that has enough talent to compete at Nationals. That's what we are working on for this season trying to figure out which club gives her the best chance.

Camps, too. Here are the ones that ISU does - probably others a little closer to your area as well.

Cyclone Volleyball Camps - Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,281
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 223

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    Camps, too. Here are the ones that ISU does - probably others a little closer to your area as well.

Cyclone Volleyball Camps - Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa

this is the best way to get her in front of the coaches,

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 12

Camps are not the best way to spend your time and money. Coaches are not evaluating players, since most are run by players anyway.
    If you are not on an elite USAV or AAU club team that competes in the Open divisions at nationals, then you need to start marketing yourself. Subscribe to Rich Kern's site, Google him.
    Take more video, buy a book on recruiting "how to" or you may find what you need on Rich's site.
    Pick schools that you are interested in and send them your daugther's video and resume. If there is serious interest, they will contact you.
    Keep an eye out for the next USAV High Performance tryouts near you. If she is for real, she will be selected to a training team where she will work with college coaches first-hand and immediately jump the list of other girls.
    I will warn you though. There are thousands of girls out there, and a 6' middle is barely average for DI-DII, so competition is fierce. Make sure she can PASS THE BALL, not just be a middle. I would even recommend you have her work as an OH as well. You have to be different from the other 6' middles.

Oh, and don't pay for a recruiting service. most are a scam and you can do everything they do on your own. All they do is mass-mail.
    Best of luck!

Last edited by ChiClones; 08-28-2013 at 09:38 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChiClones View Post
    Camps are not the best way to spend your time and money. Coaches are not evaluating players, since most are run by players anyway.
    If you are not on an elite USAV or AAU club team that competes in the Open divisions at nationals, then you need to start marketing yourself. Subscribe to Rich Kern's site, Google him.
    Take more video, buy a book on recruiting "how to" or you may find what you need on Rich's site.
    Pick schools that you are interested in and send them your daugther's video and resume. If there is serious interest, they will contact you.
    Keep an eye out for the next USAV High Performance tryouts near you. If she is for real, she will be selected to a training team where she will work with college coaches first-hand and immediately jump the list of other girls.
    I will warn you though. There are thousands of girls out there, and a 6' middle is barely average for DI-DII, so competition is fierce. Make sure she can PASS THE BALL, not just be a middle. I would even recommend you have her work as an OH as well. You have to be different from the other 6' middles.

Oh, and don't pay for a recruiting service. most are a scam and you can do everything they do on your own. All they do is mass-mail.
    Best of luck!
    thank you for the insight. I agree on camps. She went to several this summer and the instruction at the "big" camps wasn't always the best. This year we are spending the camp money on private instruction and a better club. She did learn a lot and get some notice at some D2 camps. Your post validates we are doing the right things for her to improve. Thanks!