Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: What... no n00b love for this forum since June 16th? Let's change that right now!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    Welcome to CF. I'll take you up on your offer to answer questions. What else can you say about Chris Klenakis? I read an article about him (Let's Welcome Chris Klenakis To Iowa State - Wide Right & Natty Lite) but I am interested in your take.
    When you work for a pass happy coach (nearly 70% of the plays were passes), it's going to be hard to get the numbers you want as a Rushing guy. I know that when Klenakis was first hired at Arkansas, it was because of how well he recruited against PAC-12 teams... to come to Nevada. He has, however, come into his own, as a coach, even though the stats sheets tell a bit different story. You should spend a few minutes reading Klenakis' Arkansas and Nevada bios.

As good a recruiter as he is, he's been a career assistant, sadly. I'm hoping that, with Rhoads' schemes, that Klenakis willfinally have a chance to flourish. I will say this much: Many Razorback fans were actually pretty happy to have him come on board (especially since it allowed Hogs to dip into both California and Hawaii a bit heavier). The Razorbacks, by the way, now have one player from Hawaii this year and a commitment for the 2014 class. Both D-line guys, both big and nasty. :)

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Interested in hearing your take on the disgruntled Arkansas State fans who started ripping on ISU because we were invited to "their" bowl game.
    Are you talking about the 212-13Liberty Bowl? The SEC is supposed to have the tie-in. Baring that, the next pick is a "Big East" (now AKA "The American"). No matter if it's an AAC or SEC, the opponent is always a C-USA team (as of now). Not sure how a Big-12 team got invited to the Liberty Bowl. And I'm sure many others were, as well. Of course, I'm not sure how ASU would have been able to pull off a Liberty Bowl selection, either. :)

The other reason, of course, would be how a 6-6 Iowa State team was selected for a more prestigious bowl than a 9-3 Arkansas State team (which went back to the GoDaddy.com bowl for the 2nd year in a row), especially since the Independence Bowl is BARELY a 1 hour drive from the Arkansas State campus... which is more than likely the reason there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonetrombone View Post
    Took me a while to remember that the main forums page is the most recent posts throughout all of the forums. Initially, I was going to write some comment about how he must be blind if he thinks this forum is dead... then stopped myself and looked that he in fact did post in a relatively dead area of the site.
    Unlike most n00bs, I normally pay attention... Rhoads/Rhodes notwithstanding. Kinda have to be detail oriented/focused with what I do day in and day out. :)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 458
    Given: 467

Re: What... no n00b love for this forum since June 16th? Let's change that right now!

YES! IN B4 CLOSE.

Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyDoug View Post
    When you work for a pass happy coach (nearly 70% of the plays were passes), it's going to be hard to get the numbers you want as a Rushing guy. I know that when Klenakis was first hired at Arkansas, it was because of how well he recruited against PAC-12 teams... to come to Nevada. He has, however, come into his own, as a coach, even though the stats sheets tell a bit different story. You should spend a few minutes reading Klenakis' Arkansas and Nevada bios.

As good a recruiter as he is, he's been a career assistant, sadly. I'm hoping that, with Rhoads' schemes, that Klenakis willfinally have a chance to flourish. I will say this much: Many Razorback fans were actually pretty happy to have him come on board (especially since it allowed Hogs to dip into both California and Hawaii a bit heavier). The Razorbacks, by the way, now have one player from Hawaii this year and a commitment for the 2014 class. Both D-line guys, both big and nasty. :)

Are you talking about the 212-13Liberty Bowl? The SEC is supposed to have the tie-in. Baring that, the next pick is a "Big East" (now AKA "The American"). No matter if it's an AAC or SEC, the opponent is always a C-USA team (as of now). Not sure how a Big-12 team got invited to the Liberty Bowl. And I'm sure many others were, as well. Of course, I'm not sure how ASU would have been able to pull off a Liberty Bowl selection, either. :)

The other reason, of course, would be how a 6-6 Iowa State team was selected for a more prestigious bowl than a 9-3 Arkansas State team (which went back to the GoDaddy.com bowl for the 2nd year in a row), especially since the Independence Bowl is BARELY a 1 hour drive from the Arkansas State campus... which is more than likely the reason there.

Unlike most n00bs, I normally pay attention... Rhoads/Rhodes notwithstanding. Kinda have to be detail oriented/focused with what I do day in and day out. :)
    I thought none of those conferences could fill their slots, and ISU sent more fans to that bowl than Arkansas St. gets to their home game.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 612

I Haven't read a thing, but hows about we drink some Busch Light and celebrate Cyclone Football!

“They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Welcome to the site.Since you're a razorback fan, just curious. Were any Razorback faithful ever tempted to jump the SEC ship for the Big 12 to reunite old rivalries? If I was a razorback fan, I wouldn't be, but just curious. Instability aside, if the B12 deal was as lucrative and "stable" as the SEC offer, would there be interest? Also, what is your take on Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC after their first year.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Prospect
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Going to split these into different paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12
    Since you're a razorback fan, just curious. Were any Razorback faithful ever tempted to jump the SEC ship for the Big 12 to reunite old rivalries? If I was a razorback fan, I wouldn't be, but just curious. Instability aside, if the B12 deal was as lucrative and "stable" as the SEC offer, would there be interest?
    Not a chance (this is a question that comes up several times a year on Hogville; those people get ridiculed beyond any other question, aside from the usual crappy "What channel is the game on" when it's clearly a PPV... but I digress).

The Razorbacks road in the SEC has not been an easy one. Several years of ****-poor coaching (Houston Nutt, John L. Smith, etc) have taken its toll, even though the Razorbacks do have two outright SEC West championships and shares two other SECW Co-Championships.

That being said, the entire infrastructure has been tweaked and adjusted for us to compete within the SEC. Sadly, it's literally not just an Arms Race, but a game of brinkmanship and one upping other teams. For the Big 12, there's generally 4 good teams for the conference, with an occasional rising of additional teams, but the SEC style of play is vastly different than the Big 12 style of play (this is neither a good nor bad thing, of course... just different).

While Arkansas would LOVE to resume the series against Texas and the Okie/Okie Lite tandem, it really wouldn't be a fair fight anymore (though last year's debacle needs to be pushed out of mind). Texas, as a matter of fact, is the one that keeps pushing off the return game they owe the Razorbacks. I think it's now somewhere in the early 2020s.

Sadly, Arkansas has NO true rivalry. Not Texas, not LSU and certainly not Texas A&M. Many Hog fans are fairly evenly split about the rival being Texas or LSU. And no, Missouri does not count. Just like they didn't when they were in the Big 12... except for the Kansas schools. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12
    Also, what is your take on Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC after their first year.
    Loaded question, and one that Jay Bir (my co-host on TCR) and I have answered on our show, but this ain't the show, it's Cyclone Fanatics. :D

I said from the get go that Texas A&M was going to have a FAR better season than Missouri would ever hope to have. Said that when I got wind that a conference jump was going to happen. Not sure how familiar everyone is with Texas A&M's history, but out of any 10 year cycle, they tend to have 2-3 decent to good years... the rest of the time, they're a middle of the road pack. They'll be decent this year, but once Ole Johnny Payday (AKA The Money Badger, who just don't care) declares for teh NFL, they're probably going to fall back into the middle again.

How much more do I need to disrespect Mizzou? I get tired of doing it constantly, haha! She's got a respectable program, but what I'm most annoyed about is that Ole Mizzie was lifting her skirt up to both the SEC and the B1G at the same time, hoping someone would take a nibble at that... uhh... crusty goodness?

Really caused a lot of problems for the SEC, waiting for Mizzie to make up her damn mind, hah! Cost us two very good teams that could have rounded the SEC conference out to 16 teams. The Big 12 got one of them (WVU). The other one still wants out of the ACC (even voted against the Grant of Rights deal).

As far as Ole Mizzie's projections... they better get rid of Pinkel fast, otherwise, they'll become the new Vanderbilt of the SEC.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 279

Hate Arkansas. I went out of our Survivor game in Week 2 last year by picking them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 279

Any talk on your forums about your new head coach just using you as a rest area until he can go back to Iowa?

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Hey n00b did your mom put you in that shirt!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nerd.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	21410

Welcome aboard. Please talk the cyclones and share they Jack Trice story with your SEC and Sunbelt compadres!!

Last edited by kilroy; 08-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Prospect
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Hate Arkansas. I went out of our Survivor game in Week 2 last year by picking them.
    I hate saying this, but anyone that put the Hogs up as winners of anything last year really just didn't have a clue. I supported the team, but was extremely ****** after the first game and started calling for an immediate coaching change. Jonelle Smith should NEVER be allowed anywhere near the DI-A ranks ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Any talk on your forums about your new head coach just using you as a rest area until he can go back to Iowa?
    There's the rumblings from the mental midgets that just aren't happy that he's with Arkansas trying to spout off that inane stuff.

If it happens, it happens. Personally, I want to see him give the Razorbacks 4-5 years and see what he can do. He's got pretty big shoes to follow (Les Miles and Nick Saban can also trace their SEC Coaching roots back to Big 10 schools as well).

Bielema is slowly silencing his critics (except for when he goes after mental midgets on social media).

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Hey n00b did your mom put you in that shirt!!
    Did you really just try to use a 2nd grade insult? I thought this was a fan site for a Big 12 school, not a B1G school. ;)

All kidding aside, what history/stats did you want me to rattle off about this year's Cyclones FB schedule?

Doug Hazard
    Host of http://TwoCentsRadio.net, covering SEC & Sun Belt Sports
    Founder, former owner and Lead Historian for "Gridiron History" (Google the name for the site)
    All around CFB Junkie

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 192

Bielema is a big time doosh

Recruit
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm shocked, I tell ya... SHOCKED that this forum's been deader than the Kansas vs Missouri rivalry over the past couple months. Y'all seriously need to change that up, fast!

Hi, my name is Doug and I'm addicted to... oh, crap, this isn't an AA or NA meeting. So sorry about that!

All joking side, I'm a *very* passionate Collegiate Football junkie, living in an Atlanta suburb. I blame Mike Rouse (ISUGoldenrule on Twitter; and now subsequently Chris Williams) for turning me onto Cyclone Fanatics. An SEC (Arkansas Razorbacks) and Sun Belt (Arkansas State, Georgia State) fan, of course, but I love the game and sport itself.

I fancy myself as a Collegiate Football Historian, often researching game history by way of GridironHistory (to avoid spamming/pimping the site, I'm not linking to it in this post (it's a respect thing, since I'm a guest in someone else's home)).

I'm also a budding Sports Talk Radio Media Personality, doing a once a week show with an awesome co-host, covering not only SEC and Sun Belt Conferences, but also showcasing lesser known schools and people/student athletes. I'm also the webmaster behind the largest fan site (official and unofficial) for the Arkansas Razorbacks (Hogville) as well as Arkansas largest High School Prep Sports site (FearlessFriday).

EDIT Forgot to mention that I actually have a lot of family history tied to the State of Iowa. My Maternal Grandmother was born and raised there (we still have a *very* large farm somewhere), and my Great Grandfather immigrated and relocated to Iowa from what was then known as the USSR (Russia). And yes, even the Des Moines Register has profiled one of my Great Uncles (Grandfather's brother) at this link.

Enough incoherent ramblings from me... if you've got any questions, give me a shoutout here or via Twitter (@BearlyDoug) and I'll do my best to not annoy ya.

Mike (and Chris), thanks for the heads up about this here forum thingie!
    to long

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 50

Just realized that I forgot to mention my direct tie-in/connection with the State of Iowa, so I just modified the post above.

Crickets chirping, apparently. :)

Used to sorting through the BS/sarcasm. When you Tech Admin a 25,000 member site with damn near 7 million posts, you gotta have a thick skin, haha! Thank you for the well wishes for this year's Hogs. Should be a rather exciting season.

Also, congrats to Coach Rhoads for picking up Chris Klenakis. That's a HUGE get for you guys. His West Coast connections, in terms of recruiting, could help give you guys a very nice advantage within the Big 12 for the next few years, if you can keep him around. I know the allure of the West Coast is there, but he did tell me (via twitter) the other day that he's super excited to be part of the ISU FB staff. Again, great coach to have on your staff now.
    Klenakis is going to Louisville.

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim."
    Lyndon B. Johnson