Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: OTA Antennas

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 143,033, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,636
    Points
    143,033
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 604

    OTA Antennas

    Fanatics,

    Recently moved into a place that doesn't allow us to have DirecTV/Dish. ImOn doesn't yet wire to Hiawatha and I refuse to go back to Mediacom. Does anyone have any experience using amplified antennas? Been looking at this one online and it gets rave reviews.

    Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 47,180, Level: 67
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,170
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,937
    Points
    47,180
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 15

    Re: OTA Antennas

    I tried a cheap amplified antenna and it worked like crap. So, I took a 3' chunk of 1/2" copper pipe I had laying around, bent it into a circle and attached a coax connector to it. I have about $5 into it and it works awesome.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 120,873, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,210
    Points
    120,873
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 634

    Re: OTA Antennas

    We use the Leaf (the $40 one, not the one you linked) and it works fine. We live in Des Moines, though, so very close to the towers.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 143,033, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,636
    Points
    143,033
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 604

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    We use the Leaf (the $40 one, not the one you linked) and it works fine. We live in Des Moines, though, so very close to the towers.
    Yea, I saw the $40 one gets killer reviews too. I figured since I'm not right in CR I might as well spend a little extra cash and get about 30 more miles in range.



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 47,042, Level: 67
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,308
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    2,665
    Points
    47,042
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 223

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Use the first two links below to determine what type of antenna you will need.

    AntennaWeb - Home

    AntennaWeb - Help


    Link number three is the antenna I use and I live in the Cedar Rapids area. I just have it mounted above my garage attic. Works great.

    Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V LongRange HDTV Antenna C2-V-CJM - Best Buy


    Last edited by Daserop; 08-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 209,272, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,540
    Points
    209,272
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 261

    Re: OTA Antennas

    I had whatever the cheap Target special was when I lived in Waterloo and got all the CR channels just fine. I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference with rabbit ears.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 167,486, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,884
    Points
    167,486
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 224

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    Use the first two links below to determine what type of antenna you will need.

    AntennaWeb - Home

    AntennaWeb - Help


    Link number three is the antenna I use and I live in the Cedar Rapids area. I just have it mounted above my garage attic. Works great.

    Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V LongRange HDTV Antenna C2-V-CJM - Best Buy
    I was going to link to the Antennaweb page. Good site

    And technically speaking, it is a violation of some FCC rule to prohibit you to install a dish. They don't have to let you drill into the building, or anything like that, but they can't forbid it. So unless you have no outside space at all, deck or otherwise, then you're SOL.
    Yes, you can put up that rooftop TV antenna or satellite dish

    Link to FCC they reference
    Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 7,351, Level: 25
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    104
    Points
    7,351
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: OTA Antennas

    If you want to do it right, I'd suggest going to tvfool.com and plugging in your address/antenna height and then asking for guidance on their forums.

    It's probably going to depend what channels you want to get if the antenna you linked would be appropriate... if all the channels you want are UHF it might work well, however it's going to be a lot less effective for VHF (especially low VHF band, if there's anything there you want to be able to watch).

    The wire loop idea is also valid... I got better reception with that (in Ames) than a ~$40 Terk antenna.

    If you decide the Leaf may not serve your needs, look into Winegard. I re-did my parents' antenna setup last fall (they're about 80 miles real distance to transmitters so in that case was looking at big directional antenna + preamp) and it seemed that Winegard was one of the only companies that actually published useful performance data. I have no personal experience, but their SS-3000 indoor antenna looked less gimmick-y than most products in this space. They're also based in Iowa.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 27,422, Level: 50
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,680
    Points
    27,422
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 113

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    Use the first two links below to determine what type of antenna you will need.

    AntennaWeb - Home

    AntennaWeb - Help


    Link number three is the antenna I use and I live in the Cedar Rapids area. I just have it mounted above my garage attic. Works great.

    Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V LongRange HDTV Antenna C2-V-CJM - Best Buy
    I live in Marion and have an outdoor antenna myself. I've heard the one this guy linked is arguably the best, but I've had pretty good luck with mine too: Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF Uhf Antenna Outdoor - Walmart.com



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 47,042, Level: 67
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,308
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    2,665
    Points
    47,042
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 223

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I was going to link to the Antennaweb page. Good site

    And technically speaking, it is a violation of some FCC rule to prohibit you to install a dish. They don't have to let you drill into the building, or anything like that, but they can't forbid it. So unless you have no outside space at all, deck or otherwise, then you're SOL.
    Yes, you can put up that rooftop TV antenna or satellite dish

    Link to FCC they reference
    Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov
    ahh didn't know that, but I didn't use the correct wording in my last post. I meant to say I mounted it in my garage attic (not above it).



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 27,422, Level: 50
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,680
    Points
    27,422
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 113

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    I live in Marion and have an outdoor antenna myself. I've heard the one this guy linked is arguably the best, but I've had pretty good luck with mine too: Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF Uhf Antenna Outdoor - Walmart.com
    Overall, I totally recommend just ponying up and setting up an outdoor one. I used multiple different indoor ones for a few years (including some amplified ones), only to be frustrated all the time as none of them worked even close to perfect all the time (NBC the hardest to pick up). I was having to move them constantly. The amplified ones didn't seem to make much difference at all either. Sometimes, they almost seemed to make it worse. Now that I've got an outdoor one, I feel like I'm living the life of luxury as it requires only minor tweaks every once in a great while. Once you look at your house on Antennaweb.org, you'll realize that your reception should be similar to mine, only slightly better beings how you are a touch closer. I had mine fully installed by a guy and it cost me $100 (maybe this is cheap, maybe not, but he was a super nice dude). No matter how good that indoor one is rated, I guarantee you'll be frustrated quite often with it no matter what.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 452,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,685
    Points
    452,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 34

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    Fanatics,

    Recently moved into a place that doesn't allow us to have DirecTV/Dish. ImOn doesn't yet wire to Hiawatha and I refuse to go back to Mediacom. Does anyone have any experience using amplified antennas? Been looking at this one online and it gets rave reviews.

    Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics
    Is this an apartment? Or do you own it? if it is a house, you cannot be denied putting up a dish.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 143,033, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,636
    Points
    143,033
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 604

    Re: OTA Antennas

    I suppose I should clarify. It's an apartment, not a home. The landlord didnt forbid a dish, but its a $400 deposit to put up. (Which I think is stupid because I know they make clamps now to hold it and they wouldn't have to go into structure at all.)

    Ive also noticed that I really don't miss cable/dish as much as I thought I would. With Netflix and such, we get our fill of shows and movies. I'm thinking if I just get an antenna I can at least pick up most NFL games and some college games. I know I don't really have a good option for watching the Hawks with this setup, but I can go to a bar and spend less money during games than my cable bill.



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 66,022, Level: 79
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,733
    Points
    66,022
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 107

    Re: OTA Antennas

    I have an outdoor tower antenna that's been around for years.

    When HD was starting to roll out, I got this little converter box type thing to go between the wall outlet and the TVs.

    I was pulling great HD from everywhere, even stations that I could only occasionally pull in before.

    Wanting to get DirecTV HD, the technician showed up and basically disabled my outdoor antenna, using both lines for DirecTV. I haven't had my outdoor tower antenna since.
    In talking to reprensentives of both DirecTV and Dish, they all agree that he should never have done the re-wire that way (should have ran a third line and left the out door alone).

    DirecTV also doesn't seem interested in correcting this.

    Any ideas?



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 143,033, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,636
    Points
    143,033
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 604

    Re: OTA Antennas

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    I have an outdoor tower antenna that's been around for years.

    When HD was starting to roll out, I got this little converter box type thing to go between the wall outlet and the TVs.

    I was pulling great HD from everywhere, even stations that I could only occasionally pull in before.

    Wanting to get DirecTV HD, the technician showed up and basically disabled my outdoor antenna, using both lines for DirecTV. I haven't had my outdoor tower antenna since.
    In talking to reprensentives of both DirecTV and Dish, they all agree that he should never have done the re-wire that way (should have ran a third line and left the out door alone).

    DirecTV also doesn't seem interested in correcting this.

    Any ideas?
    That sucks. But I think it's pretty common practice for these places to assess the current wiring and if they think its strong enough they just reuse it. At least that's what the guys did that installed my DirecTv after we converted from Mediacom in my old place in Waterloo.



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM