Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 75
  1. #16
    Speechless
    Points: 450,313, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,872
    Points
    450,313
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 282

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingFloater View Post
    Becker & Underwood sold to a private equity firm almost 10 years before the BASF deal. I would guess B & U still had stock, but I am sure it wasn't a $1 billion deal for them personally.

    Also, many people don't realize that the publicized $1 billion acquisition of Albaugh's company didn't go through a few years ago. I would think he is doing quite well financially, but cutting a multi-million dollar check to the ISU athletic department might not be something he is interested in doing.
    You generally don't just cut a check for the amount...you pledge it over 20 years or something.

    And I could be wrong but I think that transaction was going to be in the $5B+ range...



  2. #17
    Legend
    Points: 279,880, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,203
    Points
    279,880
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,596

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    You generally don't just cut a check for the amount...you pledge it over 20 years or something.

    And I could be wrong but I think that transaction was going to be in the $5B+ range...
    Apparently it was a 1.3 billion dollar deal because of a a weakening price on the market. Albaugh filed a complaint with the US Government against China for dumping a ton of product on the US market which dropped the price of Albaugh's product from $30 a gallon to $12 a gallon.

    China is the reason the SEZ hasn't been funded yet. Bastards!


    It's Prohm Time!!

  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 450,313, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,872
    Points
    450,313
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 282

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Apparently it was a 1.3 billion dollar deal because of a a weakening price on the market. Albaugh filed a complaint with the US Government against China for dumping a ton of product on the US market which dropped the price of Albaugh's product from $30 a gallon to $12 a gallon.

    China is the reason the SEZ hasn't been funded yet. Bastards!
    $1.3B? Chump change.



  4. #19
    All-Star
    Points: 32,935, Level: 55
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,455
    Points
    32,935
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 86

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska and their athletic department cant squeeze a dime out of him. He is quite the philanthropist in many other areas but not to his alma mater's athletic department. So don't feel bad if our richest alums don't pony up the funds to get this done.



  5. #20
    Legend
    Points: 181,853, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    12,501
    Points
    181,853
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 891
    Given: 4,001

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Cyclone Jerry.


    Kansas wears Adidas.

  6. #21
    Pro
    Points: 86,888, Level: 91
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Ciclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    3,320
    Points
    86,888
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 420

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Cyclone Jerry.
    If Cyclone Jerry won the lottery he'd give 280% of it to ISU


    "I'm the one who knocks."

  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 147,853, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bringmagicback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Posts
    6,995
    Points
    147,853
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 453

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska and their athletic department cant squeeze a dime out of him. He is quite the philanthropist in many other areas but not to his alma mater's athletic department. So don't feel bad if our richest alums don't pony up the funds to get this done.
    I dont have a problem with it. He doesnt even share w/ his family. If they arent fans and dont care about football/sports then I dont see a reason for them to donate. In all honesty, there are much better things to do w/ your money. Me on the other hand, My name would be all over the facilities.



  8. #23
    Pro
    Points: 30,983, Level: 54
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 967
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,346
    Points
    30,983
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 209

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    I once post this in similar thread and I'm not sure whether anyone ever reached to him.

    Sehat Sutardja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 53,554, Level: 71
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    6,114
    Points
    53,554
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 895
    Given: 1,209

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    I hate threads like this.



  10. #25
    Starter
    Points: 16,404, Level: 38
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    893
    Points
    16,404
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 141

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    I dont have a problem with it. He doesnt even share w/ his family. If they arent fans and dont care about football/sports then I dont see a reason for them to donate. In all honesty, there are much better things to do w/ your money. Me on the other hand, My name would be all over the facilities.
    Not to derail the thread, but Buffet does share money with his family. He pays for all of their education, and I'm sure he would take care of them if they ran into tough situations. But he does not setup a trust fund for any of his family which is unusual for people of his wealth.

    Also, I don't think you can criticize Buffet for being a philanthropist and not donating to an athletic department. Donating to an athletic department is not exactly the most charitable contribution even if you can write it off on your taxes.



  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 160,638, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,551
    Points
    160,638
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 178

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    Not that it matters a bit, but Warren Buffet- 4th richest man in the world in 2013- worth $53.5B- graduate of the University of Nebraska
    Wow poor dude, no matter what vast fortunes he amasses he'll have to admit he went to Nebraska. I guess you can feel sorry for a billionaire.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  12. #27
    Legend
    Points: 279,880, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,203
    Points
    279,880
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,596

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    $1.3B? Chump change.
    No doubt. Originally the deal was valued a year or so earlier at close to 3 billion. I am not sure if the deal was ever completed or not. 1.3 billion is a nice chunk of change.


    It's Prohm Time!!

  13. #28
    All-Star
    Points: 32,935, Level: 55
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,455
    Points
    32,935
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 86

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but Buffet does share money with his family. He pays for all of their education, and I'm sure he would take care of them if they ran into tough situations. But he does not setup a trust fund for any of his family which is unusual for people of his wealth.

    Also, I don't think you can criticize Buffet for being a philanthropist and not donating to an athletic department. Donating to an athletic department is not exactly the most charitable contribution even if you can write it off on your taxes.
    I was never criticizing him for not donating to UNL, but merely pointing out the fact that those with supreme power with money don't necessaraly care about donating to their alma mater's athletic department.



  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 129,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,987
    Points
    129,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 993
    Given: 285

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    I just want to let everyone know that if I have the good fortune to become one of our billionaire alums, athletics donations to ISU will be on the top of my list. Screw world hunger and curing diseases, we're putting Jerry World to shame.



  15. #30
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 77,894, Level: 86
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Goothrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    4,500
    Points
    77,894
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 259

    Re: Who are the richest donors/possible donors for ISU

    I saw somebody driving a lambo with ISU vanity plate last summer in Ames.


    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

    Check out my ratings site!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM