Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Concrete Driveway Pitting,etc.

Although this is the first time for us doing anything like a new driveway, I still think I have a legit complaint. Our driveway was poured around last Thanksgiving and it is already pitting out, crumbling on some the edges,etc. I know the time of year, "shale factor", and road salt are all factors, but shouldn't the contractor have had some "tricks of the trade" to prevent this like sealing it, etc.? I am sure we are not the only people in the history of concrete that had a driveway poured in the winter! Thanks in advance for any help.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

Re: New Concrete Driveway Pitting,etc.

Salt is really bad for it the first year. I didn't find that out until midway through last winter and I have a new driveway that's pitted in areas also.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

Yeah, they should have bought concrete without shale, they should have used air-entrianed concrete (which resists freeze/thaw damage), and they could have sealed it to protect against salt. The sealer would have been extra cost (but should have been provided as an option) and would need to be re-applied occassionally. The other two items are no-brainers for exterior concrete in a northern climate.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bobh33 View Post
    Although this is the first time for us doing anything like a new driveway, I still think I have a legit complaint. Our driveway was poured around last Thanksgiving and it is already pitting out, crumbling on some the edges,etc. I know the time of year, "shale factor", and road salt are all factors, but shouldn't the contractor have had some "tricks of the trade" to prevent this like sealing it, etc.? I am sure we are not the only people in the history of concrete that had a driveway poured in the winter! Thanks in advance for any help.
    There are actually some tricks to the trade. Many of which are no used, and in many cases even known, by "professionals".

The standards for rock coming out of quarries is lower than it's ever been. Combine that with improper power troweling, too watered down mixtures, improper cut expansion joints and umpteen other things you see from the bulk of concrete guys in the area and lets just say that this is the norm.

Sealing concrete will only help alleviate some of the exterior type issues, but it's a tedious bi-yearly maintenance if you want to keep up on it and it doesn't solve problems inherent to the mixtures.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Salt is a killer. Concrete is a strange beast. What were the temperatures over night. It could of froze if it got below 30 F and was not properly covered you would have a good reason to argue then. It would also have some whiteness around the crumbled areas. Alot of the times you can get salt damage because of the "fender-bergs" that build up melt and drop off your car they could pit the driveway. Lots of sealants are bogus they just want your money and are worthless and sometimes sealents will actually promote pits or chipping. Im sorry to hear about your driveway but whats done is done you could try to put some sand topping mix with some concrete adhesive (if the pits are deep). Your not alone we did a driveway last year it cost them 11,000 dollars just beautiful spent alot of time bordering everything when winter came the snow removal guy used a grass seed spreader to salt the driveway it is pitted everywhere and nothing they could of done we cured and it but salt ate it up. They say dont salt your drive for one year but thats bogus maybe after the 3rd or 4th year if at all. The salt that is concrete safe is a lie. Use sand its a good cheap alternative.

Last edited by CycloneTony; 05-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Occam's Razor means 'With all things being equal , the simplest explanation/answer is normally the right one'

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneTony View Post
    Salt is a killer. Concrete is a strange beast. What were the temperatures over night. It could of froze if it got below 30 F and was not properly covered you would have a good reason to argue then. It would also have some whiteness around the crumbled areas. Alot of the times you can get salt damage because of the "fender-bergs" that build up melt and drop off your car they could pit the driveway. Lots of sealants are bogus they just want your money and are worthless and sometimes sealents will actually promote pits or chipping. Im sorry to hear about your driveway but whats done is done you could try to put some sand topping mix with some concrete adhesive (if the pits are deep). Your not alone we did a driveway last year it cost them 11,000 dollars just beautiful spent alot of time bordering everything when winter came the snow removal guy used a grass seed spreader to salt the driveway it is pitted everywhere and nothing they could of done we cured and it but salt ate it up. They say dont salt your drive for one year but thats bogus maybe after the 3rd or 4th year if at all. The salt that is concrete safe is a lie. Use sand its a good cheap alternative.
    I have been told of a material called ag lime sand or something along those lines that you can apply that will melt ice without pitting the driveway. Anyone know anything about that?

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

THIS IS AMAZING. I GOOGLED CONCRETE PITTING AND ONE OF THE FIRST ARTICLES WAS FROM CYCLONE FANATIC!!!!

Honor Before Victory

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 215

I have had it on my driveway as well. Its about 5 years old. Last year, i sealed it and had no problems, didnt seal it before this winter and have the same problem. Will have to do it every year from now on. Bought some concrete sealer for $20 at HomeDepot and worked fine. Menards didnt have it. I had to use a roller cause it was too thick to spray.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

Digging this old thread up because I have a questions. I want to do a new driveway sometime in the next month or so. How late can I do this and hope to have the cement cured half way decent so it might be resistant to pitting? I poured one a few years ago in October and had issues.

Last edited by Bobber; 08-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.