Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 122

Re: Looking to step up our tailgate this year. What's the best way to watch TV outsi

Quote Originally Posted by cloneluke80 View Post
    TV at tailgates is overrated, invest in a nice speaker setup with bluetooth and pump some good music. Maybe a few tailgate games. I am even considering a table to mount to my hitch...
    I'll strongly disagree with that. The ability to watch games all day is pretty awesome

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 52

Re: Looking to step up our tailgate this year. What's the best way to watch TV outsi

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    I was ready to shell out the cash and buy that winegard carryout the other day to go with my direct TV HD DVR, due to its ease of set up. However, further research showed you can't get HD channels with it!!!!!! WTH?

Looks like I'm going to just have to get a tripod of sorts and a spare dish to take to games.
    #disappointmentcity
    You can buy a dish through Winegard to pick up HD reception, but as far as the HD channels it will pick them up in SD and I think they are as clear as if it were in HD. For the cost and difference in price I would say it isn't worth it.

I think that alarson would agree with what I am saying on the clarity of picture.

EDIT: Watching games during tailgating is amazing honestly. Wake up early for Gameday and allow it to go the rest of the day. We are going to do the 2 TV setup this year for tailgating.

Last edited by yler4cy; 08-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 102

I built a portable dish mount from some PVC pipe (plans on internet easy to find). It was like $10 of materials and weighs about 3 lbs. Set it on a leveled piece of plywood.

Just pulled our home dish off the pole - left the altitude locked in. Then just mount on the PVC thing, rotate until it locks in. Took 2 minutes. It was easier than doing it at home.

One thing I will say, though, it definitely changes the atmosphere of your tailgate. You go from focusing on eating, drinking, talking, cornhole, etc to focusing on the tube. Unless there is a big game you want to see, I'd actually recommend against it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I'll strongly disagree with that. The ability to watch games all day is pretty awesome
    fair enough, just saying I enjoy talking and drinking with friends and am most interested in the ISU game... just to spend money to have cfb in the background during tailgating is not that important to me.. I do love sitting at home all day watching college fb on away weekends though...

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 237

I was thinking about bringing a TV and playing other games throughout the day too. I have a slingbox on my digital cable box. For those of you who don't know what a Slingbox is it takes your digital cable signal and sends it over the internet so you can watch your home cable anywhere you have a reliable internet connection. Does anybody know if Iowa State's campus internet is available in any of the tailgate lots? I also have Sprint 3G WIFI. I know cell service let alone data usage can be tricky on gameday but has anyone with Sprint 3G tried it on gameday? Thanks!

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I was thinking about bringing a TV and playing other games throughout the day too. I have a slingbox on my digital cable box. For those of you who don't know what a Slingbox is it takes your digital cable signal and sends it over the internet so you can watch your home cable anywhere you have a reliable internet connection. Does anybody know if Iowa State's campus internet is available in any of the tailgate lots? I also have Sprint 3G WIFI. I know cell service let alone data usage can be tricky on gameday but has anyone with Sprint 3G tried it on gameday? Thanks!
    I dont think you can get any wifi in the lots, at least not down where we're at in the S lots.

I dont have sprint but a friend does, his cell service falls apart just like everyone elses.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 261

I dont think you can get any wifi in the lots, at least not down where we're at in the S lots.

I dont have sprint but a friend does, his cell service falls apart just like everyone elses.
    Yea, I've never had a good data or Wi-Fi signal out there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 237

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Yea, I've never had a good data or Wi-Fi signal out there.
    I figured this would be the case but I might try my signal for the UNI game and see if I can get anywhere. If it somehow works I'll bring the TV for the Iowa game. Thanks!

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

I've used Slingbox out there a few times and it worked good. Then last year the closer it got to game time the wi-fi as well as my cell phone hot spot signal went to crap.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I figured this would be the case but I might try my signal for the UNI game and see if I can get anywhere. If it somehow works I'll bring the TV for the Iowa game. Thanks!
    Try using ISU's wi-fi that they let you use a few times for free, it worked for me.

Recruit
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

This is my old set up, that I am willing to sell. The stand is made of PVC pipe and pulls apart for easier storing.
    PM me if you are in the metro and are interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dish.JPG 
Views:	470 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	21250
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4659.JPG 
Views:	431 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	21248

Last edited by Big12Cy; 08-15-2013 at 01:55 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 49

Hell, just buy an extra dish and a tripod. Once you get the hang of setting it up it's pretty easy. I don't even need any apps to point me in the right direction. The receiver has a signal meter on it. Set it up, point it south south west, turn on the signal meter on screen, and start moving the thing slowly until you start getting a signal then fine tune it from there. Anything over 70% is good enough for watching SD. It takes less than five minutes.

Yeah TOAST!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 26

It's looking more like I won't be doing this, at least not for this year. It's mostly going to be the price of a quiet generator that won't bother the people around me that is the biggest road block. I guess i'll try to make some custom cornhole boards instead.