Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 34

Re: Kindergarten kids with cell phone?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    I totally get it, but you don't need a smartphone to snapchat. Any 8 year old with an iPod touch has as much snapchat capability as anyone with a smartphone as long as he has wifi.
    8 year olds are not gonna snapchat nudes.. They're gonna snapchat each other funny faces

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 430

My wife and I got each of the girls their cellphones as an umbilical cord, when they started leaving the nest for short excursions (around 12 yrs). We made it clear that in fact the phones we OURS not theirs, so we could keep track of their whereabouts. And if we called and weren't immediately answered, there would be hell to pay. And very occasionally, there was.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 212

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Every day I have less and less desire to raise children in the world with how it's changed. I graduated high school 10 years ago, and since then it's crazy how over sexualized kids have become at a younger and younger age. I'm sure I would have loved rainbow parties, snapchat, and girls trying to out whore each other as their measurement of worth as a teen, but as a parent, I can't even imagine having a daughter in this environment.
    That's funny and all, but I graduated HS over 10 years ago and most all the kids were screwing like rabbits back then too. You just didn't take pictures of it on your cell phone.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Every day I have less and less desire to raise children in the world with how it's changed. I graduated high school 10 years ago, and since then it's crazy how over sexualized kids have become at a younger and younger age. I'm sure I would have loved rainbow parties, snapchat, and girls trying to out whore each other as their measurement of worth as a teen, but as a parent, I can't even imagine having a daughter in this environment.
    Well with this logic we as a society should stop having kids. And yes I have a 7 month old daughter, I am not concerned about the future she will grow up in.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

My soon to be 2nd grade daughter asked me a while back when she could get a phone. I told her when she turned 24 that is the same age myself and her mom got our first cell phones. She didn't like that answer but she doesn't need to know better. She also cannot wrap her head around the fact that before that we didn't take a phone everywhere we go.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

My kids whine about getting ones, but so far no from us has worked just fine. My oldest is 10 and she is pretty responsible, but why get locked into a monthly expense like that if you really don't need it when you get down to the brass tacks? We know our kids schedules and also know when we need to be picking them up from things. If they have to wait a bit, big deal. My cousins wife had a great comeback for her kids when they said all their friends had cell phones. She told them "use theirs then if you need to get hold of us." They finally caved and got them phones this year and they're 14 or 15, so I suppose that may be when we relent. I think 16 is probably a wise age, so you can keep track of where they are at when they get car freedom. I'm planning on providing a basic voice and text plan. They can pay for more if they think they need it. Sorry. I'm one of those old fashioned people who think it's okay to teach a kid what no means.

Last edited by Bobber; 08-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 535
    Given: 130

I'm sure there is an appropriate age for a kid to have a cell phone, but my kids will get nothing but a basic phone/plan until they can pay for it themselves...

A smartphone in Kindergarten is just plain ridiculous, and I feel I need to slap their parents for that.