Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Wimberly...

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 17,714, Level: 40
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IA City
    Posts
    1,544
    Points
    17,714
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 1

    Wimberly...

    Is nowhere to be found in any recent rb videos. Is he hurt?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 278,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,871
    Points
    278,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 162

    Re: Wimberly...

    likely not going to be a RB....more likely playing the slot



  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 2,314, Level: 13
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    197
    Points
    2,314
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 135

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    likely not going to be a RB....more likely playing the slot
    We had to do something. If he's the fastest player on the team, even if he can't catch well, he can stretch the defense deep, helping the underneath routes from our TE's and and other receivers. Or, running bubble screens with a shifty player and feeding him easy to catch balls would be a good way to stretch the field laterally, opening running lanes.

    I honestly can't believe people thought we were going to keep a backfield with White, Woody, Johnson, Nealy, Wimberly, and Standard. There's absolutely no reason to carry that many RB's at that position, at least not to start the season--and especially if we need help at another offensive skill position.




    "There's always some guy that knows what the hell's going on. I get a kick out of how much of an authority these guys are, who have never been to my practices. That amazes me, how they can tell me what's wrong with my team. And I must really be dumb, because I'm there every day and goddamn I have a hard time figuring it out sometimes."-Johnny Orr

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 45,628, Level: 66
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,322
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,015
    Points
    45,628
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 95

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinpdx View Post
    We had to do something. If he's the fastest player on the team, even if he can't catch well, he can stretch the defense deep, helping the underneath routes from our TE's and and other receivers. Or, running bubble screens with a shifty player and feeding him easy to catch balls would be a good way to stretch the field laterally, opening running lanes.

    I honestly can't believe people thought we were going to keep a backfield with White, Woody, Johnson, Nealy, Wimberly, and Standard. There's absolutely no reason to carry that many RB's at that position, at least not to start the season--and especially if we need help at another offensive skill position.
    Yeah. He might run a few times because of his speed but he will spend most of his time at WR.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 36,942, Level: 59
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 908
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,000
    Points
    36,942
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 475

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Yeah. He might run a few times because of his speed but he will spend most of his time at WR.
    You can't be serious



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 86,379, Level: 91
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,071
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,347
    Points
    86,379
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 53

    Re: Wimberly...

    Kick returner?



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 278,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,871
    Points
    278,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 162

    Re: Wimberly...

    Slot...CW said as much on the radio today

    Could probably see him returning kicks also I suppose



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 178,028, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    10,305
    Points
    178,028
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,148
    Given: 622

    Re: Wimberly...

    Is there a video or article where they say he will play slot? And that makes me very happy. Get as many of those RBs on the field as possible.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 17,714, Level: 40
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IA City
    Posts
    1,544
    Points
    17,714
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 1

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Is there a video or article where they say he will play slot? And that makes me very happy. Get as many of those RBs on the field as possible.
    Well that's incredibly disappointing. He was talked up big time as a guy who could come in right away and be a big play rb who could take it to the house. I guess with shontrell back I the mix at 100%. Why not RS wimberly then? A waste of talent to have him as a slot guy occassionally and returning kicks. Redshirt him cause shontrell and white are seniors. Would be nice to have two years of Nealy and Wimberly rotating. Maybe though he's just not as good as the others at rb. If he can catch that would be a deadly slot wr.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 100,618, Level: 98
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,026
    Points
    100,618
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,115
    Given: 272

    Re: Wimberly...

    What is it with all the freaking out about where guys are going to play? Could it possibly be that we have more talent than anyone outside the program realizes and they are trying to use that talent?



  11. #11
    Recruit
    Points: 3,110, Level: 16
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    cyclone4L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    99
    Points
    3,110
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinpdx View Post
    We had to do something. If he's the fastest player on the team, even if he can't catch well, he can stretch the defense deep, helping the underneath routes from our TE's and and other receivers. Or, running bubble screens with a shifty player and feeding him easy to catch balls would be a good way to stretch the field laterally, opening running lanes.

    I honestly can't believe people thought we were going to keep a backfield with White, Woody, Johnson, Nealy, Wimberly, and Standard. There's absolutely no reason to carry that many RB's at that position, at least not to start the season--and especially if we need help at another offensive skill position.
    That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Your strategy is on the level of pop warner. If he can't catch the ball, he won't play receiver. PERIOD. You aren't going to fool the Texas and Oklahoma defense by trying to stretch them with a guy who can't catch. It has yet to be seen if he can be consistent, which i hope he is, but using him as an illusion is something pop warner teams do. I want 11 guys on the field that will DEFINITELY impact the play, not maybe confuse the defenders for two seconds, especially since we have a quarterback now that knows his up from down



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 178,028, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    10,305
    Points
    178,028
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,148
    Given: 622

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    Well that's incredibly disappointing. He was talked up big time as a guy who could come in right away and be a big play rb who could take it to the house. I guess with shontrell back I the mix at 100%. Why not RS wimberly then? A waste of talent to have him as a slot guy occassionally and returning kicks. Redshirt him cause shontrell and white are seniors. Would be nice to have two years of Nealy and Wimberly rotating. Maybe though he's just not as good as the others at rb. If he can catch that would be a deadly slot wr.
    Come on dude we have 5 really high quality RBs and the coaches want to get as much talent on the field as they can.

    You do realize slot WR is a starter and not 3rd string right?

    Would you rather have Wimberly in the slot of Justin Coleman (no offense, he sounds like a solid player)?

    Think of it this way: Wimberly is too good to keep off of the field. And he has been touted as a great pass catcher and route runner so he is the obvious choice to move to the slot. I guarantee the staff creates a ton of touches for him.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 132,024, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    8,150
    Points
    132,024
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 128

    Re: Wimberly...

    Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    What is it with all the freaking out about where guys are going to play? Could it possibly be that we have more talent than anyone outside the program realizes and they are trying to use that talent?
    Exactly isn't the point to have as much talent on the field as possible?



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 12,770, Level: 34
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Benny34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    774
    Points
    12,770
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

    Re: Wimberly...

    He ours a D1 rb of course he can catch the ball. Anyone can catch a decent ball if they are open.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 85,817, Level: 91
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,633
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,519
    Points
    85,817
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 0

    Re: Wimberly...

    Just because he's lined up in the slot doesn't mean he can't run the ball. Having a guy that's always a threat to run a reverse is a dangerous weapon. WR screens should also be an option especially from a pistol where you can make very quick deliveries.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM