Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 313

Charlie Rogers: Playing nickel and cornerback

I forgot to write about this yesterday...

I'm transcribing all of the interviews I did at media day and Wally Burnham told me that right now, Charlie Rogers would start at nickel. Of course, he's also listed as a No. 1 corner.

It's interesting though that the staff obviously sees him as one of those hybrid guys now and in the future. I'll have the full quote for you in a story coming up tomorrow.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 216

Re: Charlie Rogers: Playing nickel and cornerback

What about Brackens? I thought he was slated to be starter there. Interesting...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 681
    Given: 89

I think you would see less of the "nickel" in this case with Brackens on the field unless he is pretty marginal in coverage which I don't think is the case.

It's all snark from here on out

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WhatchaGonnaDo View Post
    What about Brackens? I thought he was slated to be starter there. Interesting...
    Sounds like Brackens is going be a hybrid guy too. Wally really likes what he can do against the run, despite him only weighing 210 pounds.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I think you would see less of the "nickel" in this case with Brackens on the field unless he is pretty marginal in coverage which I don't think is the case.
    This.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's a linebacker. This whole nickel thing is confusing. I would call our personnel more of a 4-2-5 because in my head nickel means you're bringing in a pure cover guy. When we started using guys like Benton, Broomfield, Morgan and Brackens there, it's really more of a safety. I think Rogers at that nickel spot essentially just makes him that corner and puts whoever else on the outside. With as much as we've heard about Brackens, I would be surprised if he isn't pretty decent in coverage and even in third down situations, that "nickel" has been the normal guy.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Sounds like Brackens is going be a hybrid guy too. Wally really likes what he can do against the run, despite him only weighing 210 pounds.
    I don't remember if it was you or someone else saying the staff thinks Brackens brings something we haven't had. To me, that means can come off the edge and help in run support. I thought we had that in Morgan but I don't know if he mentally got it. People forget that he was a starter early in the 2011 season and was a pretty big loss. Hopefully Brackens can fill those shoes. On his size, in the Big 12, 210 lbs is just fine.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's a linebacker. This whole nickel thing is confusing. I would call our personnel more of a 4-2-5 because in my head nickel means you're bringing in a pure cover guy. When we started using guys like Benton, Broomfield, Morgan and Brackens there, it's really more of a safety. I think Rogers at that nickel spot essentially just makes him that corner and puts whoever else on the outside. With as much as we've heard about Brackens, I would be surprised if he isn't pretty decent in coverage and even in third down situations, that "nickel" has been the normal guy.
    Brackens was originally a D Back, safety I believe, so I thought he was going to be one of those hybrid guys who can cover but is also strong enough against the run. If Rodgers is moving to that role, what does that mean for Brackens? That's more what I was asking.

I agree though, with how much we've heard about Brackens, I have a hard time believing he won't start. Might just be me interpreting things wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 57

Brackens was originally a D Back, safety I believe, so I thought he was going to be one of those hybrid guys who can cover but is also strong enough against the run. If Rodgers is moving to that role, what does that mean for Brackens? That's more what I was asking.

I agree though, with how much we've heard about Brackens, I have a hard time believing he won't start. Might just be me interpreting things wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
    I think they're saying that, yes, Rogers is the starting "nickel" back, but we won't be seeing much of the "nickel" package. We'll see more of our base defense with Brackens in there because he's not really a liability.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    I think they're saying that, yes, Rogers is the starting "nickel" back, but we won't be seeing much of the "nickel" package. We'll see more of our base defense with Brackens in there because he's not really a liability.
    Now that makes sense.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Right, he was. Nickel, traditionally, in the manballiest sense of the term just meant bringing another corner in for coverage with run support not expected. Now we have all of these hybrid defenders who don't necessarily fit your traditional definition. To me, there is a differentiation between 4-2-5 (which is basically our base set) and nickel. You essentially are putting a safety in instead of a corner. Then we have been told we run a 4-3 scheme (which we do) but with 4-2-5 personnel. I believe they want that SAM to be essentially a faster, better covering Lber which usually just ends up being a smaller guy. I also think Meeks, depth chart wise, won't play much. He's not that kind of LBer. In the future I think you could see him moving to WILL or MIKE, which really doesn't matter because they are similar. It was sort of surprising Meeks and Knott weren't flipped around because I would have thought Knott would be more suited to coverage at this point. IN the end I think they are where they are because Knott is much closer to the field from a competition standpoint and we aren't in a position to be picky. If Rogers doesn't win the corner spot, then I think you will see Brackens come out much more, but if he does, I don't see much rotation in the back 7. The other option could be, if the WILL is a position that struggles, moving Brackens over there and going very small with ROgers at the nickel and whoever at corner. That would not be ideal but but CW just told us they like what Brackens does against the run.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    Right. It was different when you were weighing you options between Fred Garrin and Benton.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 829

Just remember that last spring, CPR said part of the reason Brackens switched from safety was because he struggled with coverage from that position.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 0

Brackins starts in our base defense, which isn't a nickel.. It's a hybrid between a third LB and 5th DB.

I remember when the Chiefs drafted Flowers, he was our 2nd CB and would slide over to nickel in that scheme.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Right, he was. Nickel, traditionally, in the manballiest sense of the term just meant bringing another corner in for coverage with run support not expected. Now we have all of these hybrid defenders who don't necessarily fit your traditional definition. To me, there is a differentiation between 4-2-5 (which is basically our base set) and nickel. You essentially are putting a safety in instead of a corner. Then we have been told we run a 4-3 scheme (which we do) but with 4-2-5 personnel. I believe they want that SAM to be essentially a faster, better covering Lber which usually just ends up being a smaller guy. I also think Meeks, depth chart wise, won't play much. He's not that kind of LBer. In the future I think you could see him moving to WILL or MIKE, which really doesn't matter because they are similar. It was sort of surprising Meeks and Knott weren't flipped around because I would have thought Knott would be more suited to coverage at this point. IN the end I think they are where they are because Knott is much closer to the field from a competition standpoint and we aren't in a position to be picky. If Rogers doesn't win the corner spot, then I think you will see Brackens come out much more, but if he does, I don't see much rotation in the back 7. The other option could be, if the WILL is a position that struggles, moving Brackens over there and going very small with ROgers at the nickel and whoever at corner. That would not be ideal but but CW just told us they like what Brackens does against the run.
    That's what I've always thought, at least in the the past two years. The way it seems it would be here in this situation, would be that Rodgers would be the true "traditional" nickel with a normal 4-2-5, and Brackens would be our "base" 4-3.

It's good to have all these options, I think.