Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 609

Saying similar things in different ways:

I remember all the reaction to Weiss's statement that his team was a 'pile of crap'...understanding what he was saying in terms of recruiting, but cringing at the motivational affects of how he said it, when I read this from the CPR comments today:

The theme regarding the program as a whole during day one of camp was fairly simple. Iowa State has a lot more speed within its roster than it did when Paul Rhoads took the job five years ago.
    “On both sides of the ball, completely improved,” Rhoads said. “We have got a lot of youth and inexperience everywhere and as I said in Dallas, we have the least amount of starters returning of any Big 12 squad. But I’d rather start with athleticism and speed and then try to bring along that inexperience as we go than be slow and plow our way there. That’s not going to happen in this league."

*again, here's Charlie's comments:

However, perhaps his most interesting comment, which drew laughs across the conference room at the Omni Hotel in Dallas, was about how Weis' pitch to recruits who ask him about playing time.
    "Have you looked at that pile of crap out there?" Weis said. "Have you taken a look at that? So if you don't think you can play here, where do you think you can play? It's a pretty simple approach."

They're saying similar things....if you come in and are better than what's already there, you'll get your shot. CPR says it in a motivating way....not demeaning the folks who have given their best shot, but maybe aren't going to cut it going forward.

Just struck me as a good learning moment how two similar messages, based on the words chosen, can have such a different outcome.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 704
    Given: 503

Re: Saying similar things in different ways:

There's another way to look at it. Afterwards, people were talking about what Weis said. Not so much with CPR.

Any publicity is good publicity, some will say.