Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Philly WR Cooper racial slur and McCoy's reaction

Also lets break down the what the word cracker comes from...The word cracker comes from in the field when the overseer would crack his whip. The slaves would call him a cracker because he cracked his whip.

There are two different meanings for each word both historically and contextually so I am tired of the crap of trying to equalize each. I have always been upset with African-Americans using the n word in "mainstream" setting because in the past it was used just within in the communities and black people would never use the terminology in front of the masses. It was always a apart of the sup-culture but had respect enough to know when to use it. Do I agree with the usage by anyone...NO but I also find it funny groups of people who really dont have to worry about discrimination much in America harp and get upset because they can't use ONE word.

FWIW- Also when the term redneck came about it was for poor white people who had to work as overseers or people in the field and would get red necks from the sun. It was a way for upper class white people to degrade the lower class.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    I have a good friend--young African from Zambia I work with...fairly westernized in our culture after 3 years here

He has little knowledge of race relations/history here, MLK jr doesn't mean much to him, and he laughs at anyone getting worked up over the 'N' word....He fails to see why it's a big deal (he brings this up)

just refreshing to talk to him about anything--race or not....No awkwardness with any topic. he's color-blind in that way.

No chip on his shoulder...nothing.......

The only down side--he loves Obama despite being a conservative and devout church-going guy.

ignorance is bliss....
    Yeah it is the history that makes the word offensive. To him the word is probably like cracker, a slur with no painful history.

Last edited by IAStubborn; 08-03-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I agree, he doesn't really owe anybody an explanation. Any statement he gives will be strictly for his own good.There is a probably a greater emotional bond on a professional sports team than most occupations, so it may not be that similar to your situation.
    How long have Cooper and McCoy played together? I have worked with several of my co-workers on a daily basis, spent time with their families and been around as their children have grown up for the last 6 years. I interact with these people on every day and are very good friends with many of them. I have taken care of their children when they need and been there when their parents have passed away. Are you telling me that LeSean McCoy and Riley Cooper have a greater bond than I do with some of my co-workers? I don't buy it. In the NFL, players come and go, it is a fact of life. I think that Riley Cooper said a terrible thing to that security guard, he needs to make amends to that security guard. If the rest of his team doesn't like him, so be it. We have people in our office who I don't care for on a personal level based on some of their actions, but I certainly am not going to let it effect my professional relationship with them. We won't be going out to dinner or on vacation together, but I doubt that Cooper and McCoy were going to do that either.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Diggame View Post
    When it comes to usage of the "n word". I always ask the question why do white people want to use it so much?? If I can get a real answer to that at some point I will understand.
    I don't know any white people that want to use it. Apparently in drunken frustration Riley Cooper used it towards a security guard. I would doubt he uses it on a daily basis, but that is just conjecture on my part.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by IAStubborn View Post
    You really think that is the same thing? And the same context? If he said it jokingly in the lockerroom he may get a few wtfs and some laughs. I was the only white guy on an allmost all black defense in college, believe me it is about context and whether it is percieved as intended to degrade. I never would but if I had said it to my teammates effing around nobody would have taken offense because they would know I wasn't using the word to catefiruze them as less than me. If they heard me use it like this jackarse did they would. That really that hard to understand?
    His context definitely makes it worse.

I still think he would be getting raked over the coals if he had said in a joking, non-angry or demeaning context.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,265
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 635
    Given: 352

There was one item at the Smithsonian that made me stop in my tracks. There was a tiny set of hand cuffs for slave children. Those cuffs brought history to life for me.

To have that much bad history associated with one word is reason enough to never say it. If your ancestors didn't earn their freedom from the Emancipation Proclamation then you have no claim to the word

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by Diggame View Post
    When it comes to usage of the "n word". I always ask the question why do white people want to use it so much?? If I can get a real answer to that at some point I will understand.
    Yeah, no one said they wanted to use it.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

Apparently McCoy thinks it's OK to beat women.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by CYme View Post
    I don't know any white people that want to use it. Apparently in drunken frustration Riley Cooper used it towards a security guard. I would doubt he uses it on a daily basis, but that is just conjecture on my part.
    It wouldn't even occur to some people to use it drunk. If you use it drunk you probably think it and use it in non-drunk times. That's the problem.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    I have a good friend--young African from Zambia I work with...fairly westernized in our culture after 3 years here

He has little knowledge of race relations/history here, MLK jr doesn't mean much to him, and he laughs at anyone getting worked up over the 'N' word....He fails to see why it's a big deal (he brings this up)

just refreshing to talk to him about anything--race or not....No awkwardness with any topic. he's color-blind in that way.

Nhip on his shoulder...nothing.......
    o c
    The only down side--he loves Obama despite being a conservative and devout church-going guy.

ignorance is bliss....
    Jesus...you do realize why some people have a chip on their shoulder, right? A generation ago, African Americans were treated very poorly in this country. A generation. Some of you act like race relations have been perfect for 300 years in this country.

Imagine if you were required to take a (purposely confusing) test to vote against Barack Obama? You wouldn't like that. Or imagine if you had to wait in line for 8 hours (like they did in 2012) to vote against Barack Obama?

I think a lot of this would be solved if we tried to imagine what it would be like to be in someone else's shoes.

But that appears to be too much for a lot of you. It's sad.