Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    Addict
    Points: 143,072, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WhatchaGonnaDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,146
    Points
    143,072
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 204

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyisu View Post
    I never heard what what the reason he decided to transfer? I was sad to hear of him leaving.
    He saw the young talent maturing and being better than him and left for PT. Simple as that.



  2. #32
    Addict
    Points: 74,851, Level: 85
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,699
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,669
    Points
    74,851
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    I am a little worried about this in case of injury, but I guess they seem solid on who number 2 qb is too.
    Grant is a perfect back up QB. A young, talented guy who isn't taking reps from the starter. He is also a guy who we could play for a few plays should SR get dinged up, or even build around if SR goes down for the season.



  3. #33
    Legend
    Points: 179,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,820
    Points
    179,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    Considering Rohach...since we are devoid of a QB controversy right now, and hoping Sam pans out to what we need him to be this year to at least get back to a bowl (obviously a big "if"), that would likely result in leaving Rohach with only 1 clear year to grab the job. I'm not sure how talented he is, but he was one of the highlights of that recruiting class, it would be a shame not to see him get some playing time if SB and GR are close. So without a QB controversy, it is kind of a catch-22; on one hand you want SR to do well and be what this team needs to be because you don't want a QB controversy and it is much better to have a clear talented starter for years to come, but on the other, at what cost does it have on the future if you put all your eggs in one basket?

    Maybe I'm just jaded from the two years of the "Jantz vs. Barnett" situation, and what it finally took to give Richardson a series at Kansas where we found out that we should have been giving him a few more snaps all along.
    We did???Coach Rhoads himselfs aid that Sam hadn't shown anything like that KU performance in practices, so I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion.

    For that matter, Sam himself has said that the reason he wasn't demonstrating more "leadership" in practices was because there were so many older players. Now, with the four senior wideouts gone, he feels more comfortable exerting that leadership.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    They have good offensive coaches coaching against Big 10 talent. We have weak offensive coaches coaching against actual talent.
    Ummm....yeah. "We" who?




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  4. #34
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,660, Level: 80
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,699
    Points
    66,660
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 0

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Richardson has everything he needs in an arm, he's mobile, and has a good head on his shoulder. This is his third year in the system... No reason for him not to get all the reps. The more time he gets in the better the chemistry and the better the offense.



  5. #35
    Pro
    Points: 45,772, Level: 66
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,520
    Points
    45,772
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    We did???Coach Rhoads himselfs aid that Sam hadn't shown anything like that KU performance in practices, so I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion.

    For that matter, Sam himself has said that the reason he wasn't demonstrating more "leadership" in practices was because there were so many older players. Now, with the four senior wideouts gone, he feels more comfortable exerting that leadership.
    That's kind of my point. Could that same thing not happen to Rohach if we crown Richardson right now without giving him meaningful in-game play?



  6. #36
    Legend
    Points: 179,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,820
    Points
    179,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    That's kind of my point. Could that same thing not happen to Rohach if we crown Richardson right now without giving him meaningful in-game play?
    So...your point is that we just randomly play everyone, just in case they're good during a game? I'm not sure it works that way.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  7. #37
    Pro
    Points: 45,772, Level: 66
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,520
    Points
    45,772
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    So...your point is that we just randomly play everyone, just in case they're good during a game? I'm not sure it works that way.
    Jeez...no...my point is that Rohach should get more than garbage time this year (since most people assume that the lack of a QB competition means that is all he'll get, and that SR will hardly leave the game this season). Otherwise, they will have crowned someone too early with limited experience giving another QB the impression that he will be looking at a 3-year backup job. I just have a hunch that there will be probably more of a QB competition going on that we're led to believe.



  8. #38
    All-Star
    Points: 57,683, Level: 74
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,915
    Points
    57,683
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 39

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    Jeez...no...my point is that Rohach should get more than garbage time this year (since most people assume that the lack of a QB competition means that is all he'll get, and that SR will hardly leave the game this season). Otherwise, they will have crowned someone too early with limited experience giving another QB the impression that he will be looking at a 3-year backup job. I just have a hunch that there will be probably more of a QB competition going on that we're led to believe.
    Well it's not like Rohach is just sitting there picking his nose in practice. He is still going to be getting reps with the 2nd team or scout team or whoever. That's about all a 2nd string QB can hope for. If he wants to see the field he will have to put in the work and force the coaches to get him in the game.

    I think Rhoads just meant that we don't have the wide open competition like we've had the past few years. Where we really have no clear cut #1. He's not saying there's not a competition at QB, just that we actually have a clear favorite to start this year, thus fewer questions and chaos surrounding the position.



  9. #39
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,660, Level: 80
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,699
    Points
    66,660
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 0

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Richardson didn't have a good enough grasp on the offense this time last year, doesn't mean he didn't have a better grasp by the end of the year when he played. Rohach at this point isn't there yet... Doesn't mean he won't be if/when he gets his shot.

    It's not like he's learning a different offense, 2nd team does the same thing. And with all the WR's and RB's we rotate, he's getting his chance with some of those guys still.



  10. #40
    Addict
    Points: 116,876, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,321
    Points
    116,876
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 316

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    If you ask any college coach he is going to say that he wants one guy to be the QB, period. Of course it is always great to have a backup with experience but this whole back and forth thing is not good.
    Interesting, this was what Barnett's dad said consistently on this forum a year ago. Pick one QB as the #1 and give him the reps with the other 1s for the good of the team. He often said that he thought this would be best for the team.

    And although he didn't say so, he probably knew that this would be best for his son because it would tell him about his chances to start. At Illinois State, he saw that the odds were much better to start. And it is only by starting (and practicing with the 1s) that he would really get to show what he could do.



  11. #41
    Legend
    Points: 263,257, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,472
    Points
    263,257
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 628

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    SJ and JB needed the QB competition because neither of them really stepped up and took the job. That was seen in the regular season with their inconsistency from week to week and losing the job back and forth.

    I think Sam is well ahead of either of these guys as far as a starting point. He has a good mix of talent and command of the offense, whereas the previous QBs were inconsistent in one way or the other.
    Sam was solid for the most part last season. I think he deserves a pass on the bowl game as he was reportedly ill and his offensive line got absolutely whipped at the line of scrimmage. Now his numbers looked pretty solid overall...

    46-79 / 541 yards / 8 TD's / 1 INT / 58.2% completions
    41 carries / 233 yards / 5.7 ypc / 1 TD

    Those are very solid numbers for a kid stepping onto the field in college for the first time. I am sure the offense was a little foggy for him, the reads on throws were a bit uncomfortable, his excitement level had to have been through the roof, and I am sure (I doubt he would admit it) he was being a little "safe" with his throws and not taking many chances so he would avoid making the big mistake. Now those are just assumptions and maybe that wasn't the case but I promise you if I was in his shoes that would be exactly the case. His grasp of the offense is only getting stronger, the reads are going to get easier, and as his comfort level grows that tendency to play safe is going to go away. I don't expect him to put up ridiculous numbers but I do think his production is going to see a fairly big jump up this year.



  12. #42
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    I'm just amazed/amused at the number of people that think since there isn't a "QB competition" - we will be in a bad spot or caught with our pants down.

    It's not like the guys behind Sam aren't getting reps. I mean, c'mon.

    Looking at other programs and the past here when there was a solid QB competition - the quality of the offense seems far less when there isn't a clear starter. Our worst season in the last decade was '03 when we couldn't pick a QB. Turmoil at that position just isn't good for the program.

    Competition is always good and I guarantee you they are competing. It's just nowhere like last season when no one knew who would play QB before the season and even week to week.



  13. #43
    Legend
    Points: 277,904, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,418
    Points
    277,904
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 1,557

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I'm just amazed/amused at the number of people that think since there isn't a "QB competition" - we will be in a bad spot or caught with our pants down.

    It's not like the guys behind Sam aren't getting reps. I mean, c'mon.

    Looking at other programs and the past here when there was a solid QB competition - the quality of the offense seems far less when there isn't a clear starter. Our worst season in the last decade was '03 when we couldn't pick a QB. Turmoil at that position just isn't good for the program.

    Competition is always good and I guarantee you they are competing. It's just nowhere like last season when no one knew who would play QB before the season and even week to week.
    I get what you are saying and agree that more reps as the 1 can only help but you and several other posters seem to imply that there is a causual relationship between a QB competition and the level of play. We could also entertain the possibility that the lack of having a servicable QB that resulted in the competition in the first place was the reason for the lackluster performance during the games.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  14. #44
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I get what you are saying and agree that more reps as the 1 can only help but you and several other posters seem to imply that there is a causual relationship between a QB competition and the level of play. We could also entertain the possibility that the lack of having a servicable QB that resulted in the competition in the first place was the reason for the lackluster performance during the games.
    You are generally saying the same thing I am. In most cases - if you have 2 QBs, you have none. Having QB completions almost always reflects average or slightly above average talent.

    Continuity are so important in this game. QB being such a leader in the program and being unsettled there has a big domino impact on the team.

    That alone not being unsettled will be huge for this offense.



  15. #45
    Pro
    Points: 45,772, Level: 66
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,520
    Points
    45,772
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

    Re: No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I'm just amazed/amused at the number of people that think since there isn't a "QB competition" - we will be in a bad spot or caught with our pants down.

    It's not like the guys behind Sam aren't getting reps. I mean, c'mon.

    Looking at other programs and the past here when there was a solid QB competition - the quality of the offense seems far less when there isn't a clear starter. Our worst season in the last decade was '03 when we couldn't pick a QB. Turmoil at that position just isn't good for the program.

    Competition is always good and I guarantee you they are competing. It's just nowhere like last season when no one knew who would play QB before the season and even week to week.
    I don't see a "number of people" on this thread that think that. Assuming that you are referring to my posts, that is a gross generalization of what I was saying. We don't have a "QB controversy"...that's great, don't want that...but we supposedly have two "good" QB's that are real close to each other. I was merely pointing out that given how close the two are, I would prefer our backup QB have more than garbage time this year. Everyone just seems to assume without the "QB controversy" tag line, that it means Sam will never leave the game.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM