Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,027
    Given: 563

Re: Cyclones TV coming to Mediacom in HD

I'm a mediacom subscriber. I'm excited to watch Cyclones.TV...not excited to miss 5/6 games because the cables out.

CF Big Brother Winner Season 1

CF Amazing Race Winner Season 1*

Future CF Survivor Winner Season 4

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 584
    Given: 511

I've been a Mediacom subscriber forever but have not had a problem. The price isn't the best but I haven't found an alternate to their internet that is acceptable.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 142

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    You do realize cable/satellite providers charge differently for residential customers and commercial customers. You don't just have Mediacom hook your building up and you walk away. They charge per TV hookup, like DTV, and they charge quite a penny. Didn't you read that article about why 3-Bag went out of business? Providers charge an arm and a leg for their services. All sports bars are going to carry DTV because they have Sunday Ticket/Extra Innings/etc. which they don't get on a Mediacom. Most bars aren't going to drop more money just so they can carry one more channel. Some will, like most sports bars in Ames, or probably ISU friendly bars like the Keg Stand. But standard sports bars won't do it.
    I'll readily admit I'm far from an expert on this and I'm not sure how to define "standard sports bar". I guess you can call me an optimist. Iím still having trouble envisioning any place that currently bills itself as a major sports bar, foregoing the ability to show certain football and/or menís BB games from the stateís largest university. That would seem to come across pretty bush league.

In the end, if the ďstandard sports barsĒ donít pick up Cyclone TV via Mediacom because they have to keep Direct TV for the NFL Ticket and canít justify both, then I predict this will be a bit of a boon for the bars that donít currently offer NFL Sunday ticket. There are plenty of non-standard (for lack of better term)sports bars between those that simply stick to showing NFL games they can get through normal channels and those not open on Sundays. Not every bar/restaurant with TVís is tied into NFL ticket package.

If I owned a small-to-medium sized bar or restaurant with TVís that isnít primarily a sports bar but wanted to create a new opportunity to capture some business, Iím putting in Mediacom and promoting it as the place to be to capture ALL televised Cyclone sports. Also, Iíve got to think if Mediacomís commercial salespeople are worth a damn, theyíre working on creating a pretty good story to tell/sell.

I guess weíll see but for the betterment of ISU sportís exposure for the region and revenues , Iím hoping for the best.

CCG

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I'll readily admit I'm far from an expert on this and I'm not sure how to define "standard sports bar". I guess you can call me an optimist. I’m still having trouble envisioning any place that currently bills itself as a major sports bar, foregoing the ability to show certain football and/or men’s BB games from the state’s largest university. That would seem to come across pretty bush league.

In the end, if the “standard sports bars” don’t pick up Cyclone TV via Mediacom because they have to keep Direct TV for the NFL Ticket and can’t justify both, then I predict this will be a bit of a boon for the bars that don’t currently offer NFL Sunday ticket. There are plenty of non-standard (for lack of better term)sports bars between those that simply stick to showing NFL games they can get through normal channels and those not open on Sundays. Not every bar/restaurant with TV’s is tied into NFL ticket package.

If I owned a small-to-medium sized bar or restaurant with TV’s that isn’t primarily a sports bar but wanted to create a new opportunity to capture some business, I’m putting in Mediacom and promoting it as the place to be to capture ALL televised Cyclone sports. Also, I’ve got to think if Mediacom’s commercial salespeople are worth a damn, they’re working on creating a pretty good story to tell/sell.

I guess we’ll see but for the betterment of ISU sport’s exposure for the region and revenues , I’m hoping for the best.
    Is there some policy preventing these bars from just ponying up $80 for a year of Cyclones.tv and streaming the games over from a laptop? I know sports bars have to pay more for their cable/satellite subscriptions. Serious questions

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I've been a Mediacom subscriber forever but have not had a problem. The price isn't the best but I haven't found an alternate to their internet that is acceptable.
    Pretty much my opinion too and I like the mediacom coverage of local sports. Their customer service was real bad a year or two ago but a lot better now. Anybody know when the cyclone channel starts as I'm too lazy to read thru all the threads or call mediacom. If nobody knows I'll call them.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Pretty much my opinion too and I like the mediacom coverage of local sports. Their customer service was real bad a year or two ago but a lot better now. Anybody know when the cyclone channel starts as I'm too lazy to read thru all the threads or call mediacom. If nobody knows I'll call them.
    I just got mediacom hooked up a month ago and I was told just before football season is when it is expected to start. So should be coming shortly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4Cy View Post
    I just got mediacom hooked up a month ago and I was told just before football season is when it is expected to start. So should be coming shortly.
    Thanks, can't wait. My wife will be thrilled I have another sports channel to watch.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 0

Uni game will be on there for sure so then at the latest.

Cyclones.tv might have the ability to create a niche bar but no sports bar is going to pick Cyclones.tv over Sunday ticket. That's 16 weeks of required programming for any bar and some of their best business. We are talking about one football game and a few lightly attended basketball games that barely move the needle outside the diehards.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Uni game will be on there for sure so then at the latest.

Cyclones.tv might have the ability to create a niche bar but no sports bar is going to pick Cyclones.tv over Sunday ticket. That's 16 weeks of required programming for any bar and some of their best business. We are talking about one football game and a few lightly attended basketball games that barely move the needle outside the diehards.
    If they offer the channel online then it won't be that big of a deal for bars to have the channel on.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Is there some policy preventing these bars from just ponying up $80 for a year of Cyclones.tv and streaming the games over from a laptop? I know sports bars have to pay more for their cable/satellite subscriptions. Serious questions
    I'm sure it'd be frowned upon if the AD found out about it. I'm sure there's a "you can't show this publicly without our blessing" warning someone on the Cyclones.tv signup.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I'll readily admit I'm far from an expert on this and I'm not sure how to define "standard sports bar". I guess you can call me an optimist. I’m still having trouble envisioning any place that currently bills itself as a major sports bar, foregoing the ability to show certain football and/or men’s BB games from the state’s largest university. That would seem to come across pretty bush league.

In the end, if the “standard sports bars” don’t pick up Cyclone TV via Mediacom because they have to keep Direct TV for the NFL Ticket and can’t justify both, then I predict this will be a bit of a boon for the bars that don’t currently offer NFL Sunday ticket. There are plenty of non-standard (for lack of better term)sports bars between those that simply stick to showing NFL games they can get through normal channels and those not open on Sundays. Not every bar/restaurant with TV’s is tied into NFL ticket package.

If I owned a small-to-medium sized bar or restaurant with TV’s that isn’t primarily a sports bar but wanted to create a new opportunity to capture some business, I’m putting in Mediacom and promoting it as the place to be to capture ALL televised Cyclone sports. Also, I’ve got to think if Mediacom’s commercial salespeople are worth a damn, they’re working on creating a pretty good story to tell/sell.

I guess we’ll see but for the betterment of ISU sport’s exposure for the region and revenues , I’m hoping for the best.
    I don't think you realize the amount of money it takes for a bar/restaurant to make those changes. Based on a few of my clients doing these kinds of projects, you're talking a minimum $5,000 commitment annually and not much return. People don't go to bars and spend money to watch Iowa State play against some school no one has heard of. The game Iowa State plays a quality team is when they make money, and they already have ESPN/ESPN2/etc.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Actually, I'll bet that iowa state uni football is one of the top 10 most anticipated sporting events within the state.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by royhobbs09 View Post
    Actually, I'll bet that iowa state uni football is one of the top 10 most anticipated sporting events within the state.
    But 65,000+ of the people who care the most are in Ames. Bars make money on Iowa State when Iowa State is on the road. Your die hards who really want to see the game are in Ames and not in the bar.

For most bars in this state they want Iowa on the road when Iowa State is at home and Iowa State on the road when Iowa is at home to maximize revenue. The majority of the money they're bringing in otherwise is their "regulars" who just want to sit and watch football all day.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 159

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    But 65,000+ of the people who care the most are in Ames. Bars make money on Iowa State when Iowa State is on the road. Your die hards who really want to see the game are in Ames and not in the bar.
    And the same would be true for any of the minor basketball games that end up on cyclones.tv, and its not like hilton is full and rocking for those games either, typically.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin