Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,729
    Given: 3,005

Re: Cyclones TV coming to Mediacom in HD

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones12321 View Post
    Hmmmm so I have direct tv because mediacom was charging me way too much but I did keep their phone and internet. I'm not a cyclone tv subscriber, but does anyone know if you can watch the new channel online without being a cyclones tv suscriber and only having mediacom internet
    I don't get why you would have any chance of watching it online without a cyclones.tv subscription.

And why should you?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    This just occured to me regarding increased exposure/keeping the brand in front of people.

I don't think it is unrealistic to expect that in many sports bars (especially larger ones) across the region they'll have at least a TV or two turned to Cyclone.TV programming at all times.
    Most sports bars (BDubs, Legend's, etc...) are DirecTV only. There aren't many that are going to pay extra to get a subscription to both DTV and Mediascam especially since a majority of the sports content is on DTV.

Yeah TOAST!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    Most sports bars (BDubs, Legend's, etc...) are DirecTV only. There aren't many that are going to pay extra to get a subscription to both DTV and Mediascam especially since a majority of the sports content is on DTV.
    That would be short-sighted as hell for any real sports bar. (I"m not talking about your local dive bar on the corner. )

Why the heck would any bar turn away the opportunity to cater to Cyclone sports fans that will have numerous games only on Cyclones.TV and there a good chance that many of those Cyclone fans won't have Mediacom at home? There's a built in crowd right there.

...and for that matter, I'd hope any self-respecting Cyclone fan would give any bar an earful that doesn't feel it necessary to invest in providing Cyclone sports in their sports bar especially in Iowa. Heck, you might as well hang out at Front Row.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 08-01-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    CCG

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,024
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 44

That would be short-sighted as hell for any real sports bar. (I"m not talking about your local dive bar on the corner. )

Why the heck would any bar turn away the opportunity to cater to Cyclone sports fans that will have numerous games only on Cyclones.TV and there a good chance that many of those Cyclone fans won't have Mediacom at home? There's a built in crowd right there.

...and for that matter, I'd hope any self-respecting Cyclone fan would give any bar an earful that doesn't feel it necessary to invest in providing Cyclone sports in their sports bar especially in Iowa. Heck, you might as well hang out at Front Row.
    Well, there's only 1 football game (UNI), which I would imagine would give them the "biggest" crowd in the bar. I can't see a bar picking up Mediacom (if they don't already have it) just to pick up the UNI game and the olympic sports and some bad non-conference basketball games.

It would be nice to see Cyclones.TV on in our sports bars all the time, but I really doubt it will be.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    Well, there's only 1 football game (UNI), which I would imagine would give them the "biggest" crowd in the bar. I can't see a bar picking up Mediacom (if they don't already have it) just to pick up the UNI game and the olympic sports and some bad non-conference basketball games.

It would be nice to see Cyclones.TV on in our sports bars all the time, but I really doubt it will be.
    But it doesn't sound like that is all that will be on the channel:

Original programming will include a “Cyclones.TV Today” newscast recapping the biggest stories of the day, an Olympic spotlight show and two different documentary-style shows centering on ISU sports icons and famous games called “Cyclones Classics” and “Cyclone Legends.”
    The channel will also air live press conferences, coaching shows and replays of classic games.

I seriously can't see any serious bar owners not wanting to have access to show some of this...especially if a good portion of their potential customers don't have access to this at home. Maybe I'm naive.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 08-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    CCG

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 188

Does anyone know if this will be offered out by Mediacom on other cable outlets? We're in the sticks and have Dish, but our local co-op phone company does offer cable. Would/could Mediacom let them carry it?

Although, getting the local co-op for northern Johnson County to pick up Cyclone channel seems like a tough sell...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

But it doesn't sound like that is all that will be on the channel:

I seriously can't see any serious bar owners not wanting to have access to show some of this...especially if a good portion of their potential customers don't have access to this at home. Maybe I'm naive.

I have to believe that there will be pre and post game shows for football as well (I hope at least), which would be draws to get ISU customers in sooner and out later on game days.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    Does anyone know if this will be offered out by Mediacom on other cable outlets? We're in the sticks and have Dish, but our local co-op phone company does offer cable. Would/could Mediacom let them carry it?

Although, getting the local co-op for northern Johnson County to pick up Cyclone channel seems like a tough sell...
    I HIGHLY doubt it. It would be a bad business move for Mediacom. The exclusivity is reason enough that some people will stay or switch. Toss in the fact that Iowa State would lose everything on streaming Cyclones.tv and there's basically no way. A bunch of people subscribing at $70/year is better than the free price they'd have to give to things like DirecTV or Dish to pick up....and I'm sure they still wouldn't pick it up because they probably can't make the money back.

Quote Originally Posted by royhobbs09 View Post
    I have to believe that there will be pre and post game shows for football as well (I hope at least), which would be draws to get ISU customers in sooner and out later on game days.
    A good chunk of the time the Iowa State game isn't going to be the "primary" game over the bar's sound system. You can watch football without the announcers...you can't really watch a post-game show without it. If you're at a Cyclone Club outing? Yeah, they'll probably have it. If you're at a sports bar anywhere too far outside of Iowa good luck.

On college football days, bars are making money hand over fist regardless. You'll make more money having the best games on versus trying to appease one fanbase. Your "regulars" who sit in there all day watching the best games bring you more money than the guys who watch the Iowa State game at 11 then leave. Any known rivalry game or game between ranked opponents is probably going to be going over the Iowa State game (as in over the bar's sound system).

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 160

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    Does anyone know if this will be offered out by Mediacom on other cable outlets? We're in the sticks and have Dish, but our local co-op phone company does offer cable. Would/could Mediacom let them carry it? Although, getting the local co-op for northern Johnson County to pick up Cyclone channel seems like a tough sell...
    I have Southslope here in Amana as well...i doubt we ever get it.

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,228
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 373

For anyone complaining -

This is the perspective that people need. There are only TWO schools that have 24 hour tv channels that are ALL sports that are dedicated to that school. The two are Texas and Iowa State.

Texas's network is not available throughout the state of Texas. If you don't have the LHN on your cable provider, then you have NO WAY to access it through the internet.

Iowa State's network is available throughout the state of Iowa. PLUS if you don't have Cyclones.tv on your cable provider, you can PURCHASE it through Cyclones.com.

Iowa State has the BEST all-sports channel of ANY school in the country and there is no comparison.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

You do realize cable/satellite providers charge differently for residential customers and commercial customers. You don't just have Mediacom hook your building up and you walk away. They charge per TV hookup, like DTV, and they charge quite a penny. Didn't you read that article about why 3-Bag went out of business? Providers charge an arm and a leg for their services. All sports bars are going to carry DTV because they have Sunday Ticket/Extra Innings/etc. which they don't get on a Mediacom. Most bars aren't going to drop more money just so they can carry one more channel. Some will, like most sports bars in Ames, or probably ISU friendly bars like the Keg Stand. But standard sports bars won't do it.

Yeah TOAST!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 940
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 357

You name me a CYCLONE bar in Des Moines and I'll buy you a drink there

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I don't get why you would have any chance of watching it online without a cyclones.tv subscription.

And why should you?
    The only reason i ever stuck with mediacom was because they were always playing ISU games. Then they quit for a little while last year and thats when i switched to direct. Then they started playing games back on mediacom shortly after, which sucks. However im stuck in a contract with direct tv and im sorry but i really dont want to suscribe to cyclones tv and watch games on my small computer. If i had the money to waste i'd do it in a second however im way to poor for that. Thats why i wondered if i pay for mediacom internet if i could watch it online and not have to pay for cyclones tv.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 675

Run HDMI from your computer and watch Cyclone tv on your big screen. Problem solved.

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 87

I am obviously in the minority, but I've been a Mediacom subscriber for 13 years and while I don't love them, I don't ever see me switching. I've had problems from time to time, but never out of the ordinary and if it ever went on too long (intenet down, cable out), MC always gave me a refund. And, with this going HD, I really never see me switching to anything else. I just wish the NFL would open up Sunday Ticket to other companies. They'd make a killing, and I'd have the one thing missing.