Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Great Sports story for your Monday Afternoon

WLBZ2.com - Elderly Broncos Fan Faces Charges For Loud Celebration

Elderly Broncos Fan Faces Charges For Loud Celebration
    Rhonda Erskine, Online Content Producer
    Last Updated: 11/28/2007 1:40:07 PM

DENVER, CO (NBC) -- A 69-year-old Denver Broncos fan is facing disorderly conduct charges for her frequent touchdown celebrations.
    Jeri Priest, who honks a contraption she calls "The Broncos Horn" after each Denver score, was in the Adams County magistrates office to go over the charges she faces on Monday.

"We need to get all the police reports, witness statements and all the information relevant to this case, so that we can do a full investigation and make a decision as to what the appropriate course for this case is to take," said J.P. Moore, chief trial deputy attorney.

Priest faces the misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct which carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and 6 months in jail. She is due back in court on December 18 for a pre-trial conference.

After every Broncos' score, Priest, her husband Larry and several neighbors let off one hearty honk for each point scored. The horn is an odd-looking device Larry Priest built 30 years ago.

It's a two-wheel dolly carrying six car horns all hooked to a car battery. A relay switch allows Jeri Priest to sound the horn from the comfort of her home.

"Go Broncos, I love the Broncos. I don't care if they lost yesterday, I still honk the horns, I'm always a Broncos fan," said Priest.

The neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous, has called the Adams County Sheriff's Department numerous times to complain about the noise. On October 21, as the Broncos battled the Steelers, deputies filed an arrest report accusing Priest of disorderly conduct. Her neighbor said he never meant for this to get out of hand this way.

"I'm not asking for the horn to be silenced," the man said, "I'm asking for it to be strategically placed. It's not my intent for a 70-year-old woman to have a criminal experience."

He went on to say, "I would like everyone to know, I tried to go there a couple of years ago to try to talk to them, as any neighbor would. Jeri Priest was very rude...she didn't want to point it behind the house, she wouldn't do it."

The Priests say they have since put the horn in their backyard. The man who called police said that's all he's asking for.

"I will drop the charges if I get a firm commitment from them that they put the horn in their back yard pointing north or east, pointing away from my house."

The man also said the "whole problem is the result of the lack of communication. I would even pay for a mediator to talk to them." He said the horn is more than 10 times the acceptable decibel level.
    NBC
    2007 WLBZ2.com/Gannett Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

Re: Great Sports story for your Monday Afternoon

i knew you could find one

Husker Hater