Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 851,737, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,278
    Points
    851,737
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,739
    Given: 431

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 131,524, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,763
    Points
    131,524
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 797
    Given: 642

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Great quote from Mack Brown:

    "You saw in the SEC there's seven that beat ‑‑ the top seven beat the bottom seven 30‑0, and that's not happening in our league."



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 20,468, Level: 43
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    872
    Points
    20,468
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Great quote from Mack Brown:

    "You saw in the SEC there's seven that beat ‑‑ the top seven beat the bottom seven 30‑0, and that's not happening in our league."
    I contend that parity is good for the fans but not for the league. The league needs a national title contender and it didn't have one the last two years and may not again this year. With divisional play in place and an 8 game conf slate OSU misses ISU in 2011 and KSU misses Baylor in 2012. It's a big what-if, but who knows what would have happened.

    The current league affords no missteps and makes it even harder for a team to reach the title game, compounding that is the nation sees the league beating up on one another and perceives it to be (unfairly) a little weak. A KSU team with one emphatic loss to Baylor might be enough for the Big 12 not to have a spot in a future 4-team playoff (as an example).



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 48,448, Level: 68
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,302
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    5,479
    Points
    48,448
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 428
    Given: 528

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    I contend that parity is good for the fans but not for the league. The league needs a national title contender and it didn't have one the last two years and may not again this year. With divisional play in place and an 8 game conf slate OSU misses ISU in 2011 and KSU misses Baylor in 2012. It's a big what-if, but who knows what would have happened.

    The current league affords no missteps and makes it even harder for a team to reach the title game, compounding that is the nation sees the league beating up on one another and perceives it to be (unfairly) a little weak. A KSU team with one emphatic loss to Baylor might be enough for the Big 12 not to have a spot in a future 4-team playoff (as an example).
    Sadly, this is true. The SEC is the only conference that gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to parity. If Vandy or Kentucky beat Alabama, its seen a plus for the SEC, while we've seen Okie St and Kstate both get jobbed in favor of 1 loss SEC Squads for losses to ISU and Baylor. Last year's Kstate squad may not have been national title contender worthy but the Okie St team we beat was as good as anyone in the country that year.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,593, Level: 75
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,803
    Points
    58,593
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 42

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    I contend that parity is good for the fans but not for the league. The league needs a national title contender and it didn't have one the last two years and may not again this year. With divisional play in place and an 8 game conf slate OSU misses ISU in 2011 and KSU misses Baylor in 2012. It's a big what-if, but who knows what would have happened.

    The current league affords no missteps and makes it even harder for a team to reach the title game, compounding that is the nation sees the league beating up on one another and perceives it to be (unfairly) a little weak. A KSU team with one emphatic loss to Baylor might be enough for the Big 12 not to have a spot in a future 4-team playoff (as an example).
    Parity is better for Iowa State. Therefore, parity.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 131,524, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,763
    Points
    131,524
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 797
    Given: 642

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Great quote from Mack Brown:

    "You saw in the SEC there's seven that beat ‑‑ the top seven beat the bottom seven 30‑0, and that's not happening in our league."

    I didn't know that the SEC was this imbalanced. They think it is such a great conference, but it is really just top-heavy.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 82,828, Level: 89
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,741
    Points
    82,828
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 1,072

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    Parity is better for Iowa State. Therefore, parity.
    I agree with this, whatever helps us is bestest.

    As for KSU not getting in the playoff, I think there is no doubt they would have made the playoff last year and OSU 100% would have the year before that. I think it's pretty common knowledge that the Big 12 and SEC are the best two conferences the past two seasons and there's no way a one loss winner of the conference doesn't make the top four. You could say "well it's KSU and they don't get the benefit of the doubt" but I don't buy that. Having more than one loss though for the conference champion, which could happen this year, may be bad for the conference, but a one loss Big 12 champion is not going to be left out of the playoff.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 48,448, Level: 68
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,302
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    5,479
    Points
    48,448
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 428
    Given: 528

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I agree with this, whatever helps us is bestest.

    As for KSU not getting in the playoff, I think there is no doubt they would have made the playoff last year and OSU 100% would have the year before that. I think it's pretty common knowledge that the Big 12 and SEC are the best two conferences the past two seasons and there's no way a one loss winner of the conference doesn't make the top four. You could say "well it's KSU and they don't get the benefit of the doubt" but I don't buy that. Having more than one loss though for the conference champion, which could happen this year, may be bad for the conference, but a one loss Big 12 champion is not going to be left out of the playoff.
    While I think parity hurts right now, when the other BCS conferences start playing 9 conference games however, I think every league will be dealing with it.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 20,468, Level: 43
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    872
    Points
    20,468
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    As for KSU not getting in the playoff, I think there is no doubt they would have made the playoff last year and OSU 100% would have the year before that. I think it's pretty common knowledge that the Big 12 and SEC are the best two conferences the past two seasons and there's no way a one loss winner of the conference doesn't make the top four. You could say "well it's KSU and they don't get the benefit of the doubt" but I don't buy that. Having more than one loss though for the conference champion, which could happen this year, may be bad for the conference, but a one loss Big 12 champion is not going to be left out of the playoff.
    Final BCS standings had ND, Bama, Florida, Oregon, then KSU so it's not so certain. An argument could have been made that Stanford could have jumped KSU and if tOSU was elible last year, KSU would have most certainly been left out.

    Nevermind the fact that any time Baylor played defense they were good enough to play with anyone with that offense: you lose to them in 2012 and that's perceived as a huge resume blemish. Right now, unless you are Texas or OU, you better be undefeated to guarantee the four team playoff out of the Big 12 or hope your one loss is to a top OOC opponent. OSU would have been in for 2011, KSU for 2012...it's uncertain and that's where the Big 12's conference scheduling and fallen prestige post-realignment could hurt it. I'm not even sure if computers will have any influence on rankings from 2014 on and that's something that absolutely did not hurt the conference's BCS standings. Now it could be entirely subjectivity and pre-conceived notions that decides the four teams.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 82,828, Level: 89
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,741
    Points
    82,828
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 1,072

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    Final BCS standings had ND, Bama, Florida, Oregon, then KSU so it's not so certain. An argument could have been made that Stanford could have jumped KSU and if tOSU was elible last year, KSU would have most certainly been left out.

    Nevermind the fact that any time Baylor played defense they were good enough to play with anyone with that offense: you lose to them in 2012 and that's perceived as a huge resume blemish. Right now, unless you are Texas or OU, you better be undefeated to guarantee the four team playoff out of the Big 12 or hope your one loss is to a top OOC opponent. OSU would have been in for 2011, KSU for 2012...it's uncertain and that's where the Big 12's conference scheduling and fallen prestige post-realignment could hurt it. I'm not even sure if computers will have any influence on rankings from 2014 on and that's something that absolutely did not hurt the conference's BCS standings. Now it could be entirely subjectivity and pre-conceived notions that decides the four teams.
    As I said, the name on the jersey is the only reason KSU wouldn't have made it and why they were so low. Big 12 needs to start scheduling non-con games later in the year to pad the votes like the SEC by losing earlier in the season and not the 11th game every year. KSU loses that game in week 4 or 5 and there's not even a discussion of them being in the top 4.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 82,828, Level: 89
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,741
    Points
    82,828
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 1,072

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    And an example for future scheduling:

    Florida Florida 2012 Schedule - Gators Home and Away - ESPN



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 24,121, Level: 47
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Skidoosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,783
    Points
    24,121
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 213

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    While scheduling cupcakes at the end of the year may get a team or two into a top 4 spot, I think it is/would be a disservice to the fans.

    Personally, the beginning of the year is when everyone is getting into a groove of things, then things keep getting more and more intense as the season goes on. Its a momentum thing. To suddenly go from playing Oklahoma to playing Western Illinois and beating them with 3rd string freshman? That's not an exciting game. That's not a game I would go to in late November because I know its a win even if there isnt a soul in Jack Trice and we sent in our redshirt freshman. (no offense leatherneck fans)



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,915, Level: 77
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Goothrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,640
    Points
    61,915
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 58

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    And why didn't you include this picture?



    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

    Check out my ratings site!

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 10,052, Level: 30
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Londo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    368
    Points
    10,052
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post
    And why didn't you include this picture?

    D:


    Iím a huge believer in mental toughness and what it does to you as an individual and collectively, what it does for your football team. We have a mentally tough football team that takes advantage of opportunities to grow and learn.

    -Paul Rhoads


    Follow "@CycloneRecruits" on Twitter for Football recruiting and other Cyclone Football related information! #cyclONEnation

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 71,106, Level: 82
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    3,476
    Points
    71,106
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 400
    Given: 284

    Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post
    And why didn't you include this picture?

    Holy buckets that brunette is good looking! Go ISU!


    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

    Until further notice, the Big 12 tournament is best. There's an experience here. Not just the teams -- the feel, the vibe, the establishments. Iowa State not only won the pregame -- filling the nearby Power & Light District -- it won the whole damn scene.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM