Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 119

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 275

Re: NOTEBOOK: What you need to know from day 2 in Dallas

Great quote from Mack Brown:

"You saw in the SEC there's seven that beat ‑‑ the top seven beat the bottom seven 30‑0, and that's not happening in our league."

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

"You saw in the SEC there's seven that beat ‑‑ the top seven beat the bottom seven 30‑0, and that's not happening in our league."
    I contend that parity is good for the fans but not for the league. The league needs a national title contender and it didn't have one the last two years and may not again this year. With divisional play in place and an 8 game conf slate OSU misses ISU in 2011 and KSU misses Baylor in 2012. It's a big what-if, but who knows what would have happened.

The current league affords no missteps and makes it even harder for a team to reach the title game, compounding that is the nation sees the league beating up on one another and perceives it to be (unfairly) a little weak. A KSU team with one emphatic loss to Baylor might be enough for the Big 12 not to have a spot in a future 4-team playoff (as an example).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    I contend that parity is good for the fans but not for the league. The league needs a national title contender and it didn't have one the last two years and may not again this year. With divisional play in place and an 8 game conf slate OSU misses ISU in 2011 and KSU misses Baylor in 2012. It's a big what-if, but who knows what would have happened.

The current league affords no missteps and makes it even harder for a team to reach the title game, compounding that is the nation sees the league beating up on one another and perceives it to be (unfairly) a little weak. A KSU team with one emphatic loss to Baylor might be enough for the Big 12 not to have a spot in a future 4-team playoff (as an example).
    Sadly, this is true. The SEC is the only conference that gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to parity. If Vandy or Kentucky beat Alabama, its seen a plus for the SEC, while we've seen Okie St and Kstate both get jobbed in favor of 1 loss SEC Squads for losses to ISU and Baylor. Last year's Kstate squad may not have been national title contender worthy but the Okie St team we beat was as good as anyone in the country that year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Parity is better for Iowa State. Therefore, parity.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

I didn't know that the SEC was this imbalanced. They think it is such a great conference, but it is really just top-heavy.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 143

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    Parity is better for Iowa State. Therefore, parity.
    I agree with this, whatever helps us is bestest.

As for KSU not getting in the playoff, I think there is no doubt they would have made the playoff last year and OSU 100% would have the year before that. I think it's pretty common knowledge that the Big 12 and SEC are the best two conferences the past two seasons and there's no way a one loss winner of the conference doesn't make the top four. You could say "well it's KSU and they don't get the benefit of the doubt" but I don't buy that. Having more than one loss though for the conference champion, which could happen this year, may be bad for the conference, but a one loss Big 12 champion is not going to be left out of the playoff.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I agree with this, whatever helps us is bestest.

As for KSU not getting in the playoff, I think there is no doubt they would have made the playoff last year and OSU 100% would have the year before that. I think it's pretty common knowledge that the Big 12 and SEC are the best two conferences the past two seasons and there's no way a one loss winner of the conference doesn't make the top four. You could say "well it's KSU and they don't get the benefit of the doubt" but I don't buy that. Having more than one loss though for the conference champion, which could happen this year, may be bad for the conference, but a one loss Big 12 champion is not going to be left out of the playoff.
    While I think parity hurts right now, when the other BCS conferences start playing 9 conference games however, I think every league will be dealing with it.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    Final BCS standings had ND, Bama, Florida, Oregon, then KSU so it's not so certain. An argument could have been made that Stanford could have jumped KSU and if tOSU was elible last year, KSU would have most certainly been left out.

Nevermind the fact that any time Baylor played defense they were good enough to play with anyone with that offense: you lose to them in 2012 and that's perceived as a huge resume blemish. Right now, unless you are Texas or OU, you better be undefeated to guarantee the four team playoff out of the Big 12 or hope your one loss is to a top OOC opponent. OSU would have been in for 2011, KSU for 2012...it's uncertain and that's where the Big 12's conference scheduling and fallen prestige post-realignment could hurt it. I'm not even sure if computers will have any influence on rankings from 2014 on and that's something that absolutely did not hurt the conference's BCS standings. Now it could be entirely subjectivity and pre-conceived notions that decides the four teams.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Final BCS standings had ND, Bama, Florida, Oregon, then KSU so it's not so certain. An argument could have been made that Stanford could have jumped KSU and if tOSU was elible last year, KSU would have most certainly been left out.

Nevermind the fact that any time Baylor played defense they were good enough to play with anyone with that offense: you lose to them in 2012 and that's perceived as a huge resume blemish. Right now, unless you are Texas or OU, you better be undefeated to guarantee the four team playoff out of the Big 12 or hope your one loss is to a top OOC opponent. OSU would have been in for 2011, KSU for 2012...it's uncertain and that's where the Big 12's conference scheduling and fallen prestige post-realignment could hurt it. I'm not even sure if computers will have any influence on rankings from 2014 on and that's something that absolutely did not hurt the conference's BCS standings. Now it could be entirely subjectivity and pre-conceived notions that decides the four teams.
    As I said, the name on the jersey is the only reason KSU wouldn't have made it and why they were so low. Big 12 needs to start scheduling non-con games later in the year to pad the votes like the SEC by losing earlier in the season and not the 11th game every year. KSU loses that game in week 4 or 5 and there's not even a discussion of them being in the top 4.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And an example for future scheduling:

Florida Florida 2012 Schedule - Gators Home and Away - ESPN

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 34

While scheduling cupcakes at the end of the year may get a team or two into a top 4 spot, I think it is/would be a disservice to the fans.

Personally, the beginning of the year is when everyone is getting into a groove of things, then things keep getting more and more intense as the season goes on. Its a momentum thing. To suddenly go from playing Oklahoma to playing Western Illinois and beating them with 3rd string freshman? That's not an exciting game. That's not a game I would go to in late November because I know its a win even if there isnt a soul in Jack Trice and we sent in our redshirt freshman. (no offense leatherneck fans)

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 7

And why didn't you include this picture?

Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post

D:

Iím a huge believer in mental toughness and what it does to you as an individual and collectively, what it does for your football team. We have a mentally tough football team that takes advantage of opportunities to grow and learn.

-Paul Rhoads

Follow "@CycloneRecruits" on Twitter for Football recruiting and other Cyclone Football related information! #cyclONEnation

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 136

Quote Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post

Holy buckets that brunette is good looking! Go ISU!

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.