Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

JC Recruits....

I wanted to find out why so many people think we should be focusing on HS talent over JUCO talent? I always hear we need to focus on getting a kid here for 4 years...IMO thats a mistake - we need to focus on getting the most talented team on the field possible, if thats through the juco ransk so be it....

Case in point.....Do you remember a JUCO WR from last year that we went after hard and lost out to who....hmmmmm oh yeah LSU, why would a superpower be recruiting JUCOS, they already get 4-5* guys at not only the starters but as backups....

Well, in the last two big games for LSU - lil Byrdie had 10 catches, 120 yards receiving and 3 td's thats why you recruit the JUCO's for some infusion of talent at specific positions, all the big time schools do it including Oregon, USC, LSU, Texas, Michigan everyone is recruiting the JUCO's like a farm club for D-1 talent....

Why should we focus on HS kids? I think our coaches should identify positions that we need the most desperate infusion of talent and recruit the JUCO's hard for the highest rated with least risk player we can - and i know all juco's can be a risk...But, i think our talent level needs to be raised a lot at several positions....i would love to see 5-8 JUCOS coming in this year....Juco's want to play day one, and if the juco is good enough, thats something we can offer at a number of positions.....it should help to recruit talented players to increase our overall talent level...

Would love to hear what other people think about recruiting JUCO's!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Re: JC Recruits....

If the JUCO has the potential for immediate playing time or at least competing for the starting spot, then we need to be considering him in recruiting. End of story. I agree with pretty much all that you said. Going after JUCO's isn't a bad thing. However, if you base your entire class off of JUCO's -- that's when you can get into trouble. You need to find a nice balance between 4-year guys and 2-year guys.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 805
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 26

It is not like the big schools are taking 5-8 JUCOS everyyear. In the last 3 years LSU, Michigan, USC have signed a combined 6 JUCO players. In 4-6 years I don't want to see a couple senior classes that only have about 4-5 players that contribute.

I would prefer to have seasons like this year at first, then slowly build to something much better (hopefully) down the road. Instead of having a little more success now but not getting much better down the road. There is a reason these players are at JUCO college instead of D1 out of high school. There are plenty of success stories, as we know and the LSU player mentioned but JUCO's are just a quick fix and not much more.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

The main problem is that it is going to take a very long time for us to be able to recruit like the Michigan's, USC's, and LSU's of the college football world, so we're going to have to take what we can get until we can make it into Big 12 Championships and BCS bowls every couple of years. Signing more JUCO's now can help get us there, and then backing off a little bit can help keep us there. But if the JUCO has talent, there is no reason not to consider him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 0

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JUCO's in football. I think it creates a sense of urgency as there are a lot of upperclassmen fighting for playing time.

Look at the current crop of ISU NFL Players - Wallace, Dobbins, Hicks... it seems like everybody that we've sent to the NFL have been JUCO guys.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

There are a lot of recruits that are busts, including high school and JUCO players. I think there are a handful of top tier JUCOs that the premier programs go after, then there are the "risks" that the rest of us go for. I agree that a lot of our NFL talent has come through JUCO recruits. All players are a risk, but the occasional JUCO that can come in and play three years are not a band-aid, but an asset to our program. We need talented players....I don't care where they come from.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

I dont mind taking a handful of juco's, but i dont think we should be getting 10 or 12 juco's a year. juco's aren't necessarily better than HS players. They are just older and more experienced.

Most cases it seems like they spend 3 quarters of their junior year still learning the sysytem that we run. Before you know it he's gone. You really only get one good year out of a juco. But you're not guaranteed any success with HS or juco players.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JUCO's in football. I think it creates a sense of urgency as there are a lot of upperclassmen fighting for playing time.

Look at the current crop of ISU NFL Players - Wallace, Dobbins, Hicks... it seems like everybody that we've sent to the NFL have been JUCO guys.
    Hobbs, Sage, Tyson Smith???

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Ace Bowen did okay in my book. The oline jucos held up. At this point with a young and new head coach, we have to take the best people possible. Gene may not be able to wait three years to play a high schooler - he needs them in the next two years with our easier conference schedule. The Midwest does have good juco colleges.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 76

I just say take the best players, regardless. You have to take class spacing into account, but I want the best ballers, regardless of where they came from.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 64

I think Ace benefited from being here 3 years. Like ripvdub said, they spend most of the first year still learning, then in Ace's case, two years tearing it up. I think the added year is really beneficial.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 76

Or even if they can get in for spring ball. That gives the player such a huge head start.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I agree with basically everyone here in that JUCOs are not unanimously bad for a program; guys like Bowen, Wallace and Hicks have proved that for us. With that said, I don't think that is the ideal situation. For instance, let's say you're going to recruit a player for a given position every 2 years regardless (I know you want at least one a year in almost every position, but for the sake of my argument, we'll say you only recruit one every two years). I would make an argument that if you recruit a freshman every two years, typically you'll have a junior or senior starting the majority of the time, and when they graduate the guy two years behind him will replace him. If that player is a was a freshmen when recruited, that means that he's had two years in the system to bulk up (especially in our current regime with Coach Shep) and learn the system. If that player is a JUCO then he probably won't be quite up to the physical standards we'd like (at least not right away) and he'll be new to the system. In this situation, I'd say the freshman, even if he's less talented coming in, would usually be more beneficial to our football team.

With that said, Iowa State's recruiting is not at the level where we can expect enough freshmen to always develop into Big 12 starters so we'll need the occasional JUCO patch. If we devote too much of a class to JUCOs, though, I would say that we're kind of selling our program out two years down the road because it would then become an ongoing cycle (and I think ISU is a model of the idea that not every JUCO pans out). My opinion at least...

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

JCs are something our current program needs to be successful. While JCs don't always pan out like we'd like, the good thing is if they aren't a good player they are out of the program in 2 years, rather than 5. I wouldn't mind getting another Walter Nickel next year to man the TE position so Catlett can stay at FB. Who knows how good Collin Franklin is.

I don't think we have another TE on the roster other than Franklin, assuming D-Cat is a FB with Barkema, Tinlin, and Howe all gone and the recruit Bykowski probably redshirting and becoming a tackle.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

As of right now, the JUCO players that will come to ISU have more talent than the HS players that will come to ISU (on average). JUCO's are going to be a necessity for success in ISU football.