Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    U.S. intelligence is reporting that Iran suspended its nuclear weapons program in 2003.

    Link:
    US officials say Iran nuclear weapons program stopped in 2003, but capability remains - International Herald Tribune


    Last edited by alaskaguy; 12-03-2007 at 02:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 736,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,986
    Points
    736,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,559
    Given: 750

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    The timing on this announcement is interesting and probably pretty important. I think it signals a definite shift in the rhetoric directed towards Iran.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    This Iran flap really begs for a couple of questions to be answered.....

    A laptop computer was the principal piece of evidence that was used by GWB to make the case that Iran was developing nukes. The stolen laptop contained what seemed to be "detailed efforts to build what looked like a compact warhead for an Iranian missile." The slideshow may have been outdated, the Times suggests, and the NIE doesn't explain in its unclassified summary why the 2005 judgments were so off. The NIE also raises questions about why President Bush this fall was warning a nuclear-armed Iran could start World War III at a time when he had already been informed about the new doubts.

    Link:
    washingtonpost.com



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 389,840, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,855
    Points
    389,840
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 429

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    I dont buy it. They are still doing it in secret. They want us to feel safe now and question our governement. Cause this country to rot from the inside out. Then when its weak, that is when our enemies will take advantage. I know it sounds like conspiracy theory, but If I were an enemey thats how I would get it done.



  5. #5
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    The timing on this announcement is interesting and probably pretty important. I think it signals a definite shift in the rhetoric directed towards Iran.
    Not really. Bush is still yapping

    Bush: Iran report a 'warning signal' - The White House - MSNBC.com

    To me, the NIE (National Intelligence Estimate) provides an opportunity for us to rally the international community -- to continue to rally the community -- to pressure the Iranian regime to suspend its program," the president said. "What's to say they couldn't start another covert nuclear weapons program."

    So George, we're going to "rally the international community" - something you''re oh so good at - to keep Iran from doing something that your intelligence community says they aren't doing.




  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 86,350, Level: 91
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,906
    Points
    86,350
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 52

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    So George, we're going to "rally the international community" - something you''re oh so good at - to keep Iran from doing something that your intelligence community says they aren't doing.

    I believe he was referring to the enrichment program and not the weapons program. It's far too easy to transfer the knowledge learned in a civilian nuclear program to a new clandestine weapons program.

    Iran had a secret weapons program as recently as 2003. I see no reason why they wouldn't start a new program after they gain enrichment capabilities. GWB is right in that we need international presssure to prevent this.


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Hillary seemed to be hyping the Iraninan nuke situation as much as GWB. In one of the Demo debates Hillary mentioned massing troops along the Iranian border. Is Hillary going to claim that she was duped once again?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 216,661, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,449
    Points
    216,661
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 48

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    I believe he was referring to the enrichment program and not the weapons program. It's far too easy to transfer the knowledge learned in a civilian nuclear program to a new clandestine weapons program.

    Iran had a secret weapons program as recently as 2003. I see no reason why they wouldn't start a new program after they gain enrichment capabilities. GWB is right in that we need international presssure to prevent this.

    This Iran stuff is diverting attention away from the real threats. Afghanistan has 176 million Muslims and possesses about 80 nuclear weapons I believe. Russia, Putin is grabbing power and keeping it. Tainted election and we are bogged down in Iraq so we look pretty weak in confronting him. In Iran, the leader Mujowhatshisname is losing public support. The only way he will retain power is for us to attack him and confront him.

    All this war talk merely emboldens and strengthens our enemies. It raises the price of oil which gives them more money. If we contain and watch the collapse from within, the price of oil falls and Mujowhatshisname will be out of power when the next election occurs. Pretty stupid strategy to go on the offensive and increase Mujowhatshisname's support while increasing the price of oil. UNLESS.......that is your motive, to increase the price of oil.



  9. #9
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    This Iran stuff is diverting attention away from the real threats. Afghanistan has 176 million Muslims and possesses about 80 nuclear weapons I believe. Russia, Putin is grabbing power and keeping it. Tainted election and we are bogged down in Iraq so we look pretty weak in confronting him. In Iran, the leader Mujowhatshisname is losing public support. The only way he will retain power is for us to attack him and confront him.

    All this war talk merely emboldens and strengthens our enemies. It raises the price of oil which gives them more money. If we contain and watch the collapse from within, the price of oil falls and Mujowhatshisname will be out of power when the next election occurs. Pretty stupid strategy to go on the offensive and increase Mujowhatshisname's support while increasing the price of oil. UNLESS.......that is your motive, to increase the price of oil.
    Do you mean Pakistan?



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 216,661, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,449
    Points
    216,661
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 48

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Do you mean Pakistan?
    Yes, I mean Pakistan. Working and posting once in a while on CF is frying my brain. My Bad. Pos Rep for you for putting me back on my feet. Thanks.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 736,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,986
    Points
    736,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,559
    Given: 750

    Re: Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Yes, I mean Pakistan. Working and posting once in a while on CF is frying my brain. My Bad. Pos Rep for you for putting me back on my feet. Thanks.
    Wheeew......if Afganistan had nukes, I would be out back right now digging a bunker. You are correct, though, Pakistan is very, very important to watch. But Iran is too.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM