Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

Re: Strength coach critical for WBB

Man, how times have changed. Way, way back when I was in high school, we never lifted weights during basketball season on the theory that too much weight training would throw off our shooting.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Man, how times have changed. Way, way back when I was in high school, we never lifted weights during basketball season on the theory that too much weight training would throw off our shooting.
    I am still surprised at how many HS kids in the womens sports still come in and haven't been exposed to very much strength training.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Agree, and did your coach or anyone else around the game when you were a kid use the term "power forward"? I think much of the change in basketball can be signified by that term alone. I am not complaining, but the game has really changed. My coach used to call b-ball a "non-contact" sport; boy, if he were alive today . . . .

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Agree, and did your coach or anyone else around the game when you were a kid use the term "power forward"? I think much of the change in basketball can be signified by that term alone. I am not complaining, but the game has really changed. My coach used to call b-ball a "non-contact" sport; boy, if he were alive today . . . .
    I guess seeing what some high-schoolers are taught about weights and training by their coaches, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing. Unless they can afford a competent trainer to teach them proper form....I cringe watching high schoolers lift, and the way girls are treated in the free weights area, not surprised they avoid it.

Truthfully, high schools should have weight training classes for their athletes to teach them proper form. I see more people doing too much weight with bad form, than the other, and the young ones are especially bad.

Though watching young football players think that they are studs because they can quarter squat 405 when they couldn't do a body-weight parallel squat to save their life is amusing.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    He didn't use that term, but his teams were built around the traditional 2 forwards, a center, and 2 guards. Looking back at his most successful teams now though, they did have what would now be called the point, a wing (or shooting guard), a power forward, a small forward and a center. I don't remember any teams, or even any games without the center position in there, on either team playing.

It was a small school. Sometimes you did not always have the players who really fit the position they had to play. It wasn't quite Hickory, but it was close.

The only weight things we did for basketball were that we had weighted vests that we wore early in the practice season during our running/conditioning workouts, and we wore ankle weights during practice and scrimmages early in the season.

Last edited by Dryburn; 07-19-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 24

Keeping injuries down along with rehab is next after performance from the technical aspects of modern Strength Coaching as a science. Jensen will benefit. Pop and Hallie are good examples of expert strength coaching..

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

To the point of the OP, Cody's article does credit to Link - I think I noticed his effect in last year's team. The summer with him is likely far more productive than league play.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

Agree with your comment BenEClone. In years past, you could see what the wear and tear of a physical season did to our team. Last year, not so much. This summer will be critical for the incoming freshmen as they acclimate to college basketball. Especially so since we need them in critical roles.