Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

Re: I can see UT running the table

TCU, OSU, or UT should win the conference.

I just don't see OU doing it with Blake Bell at QB.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by cobraclone71 View Post
    Not me. I would MUCH rather beat Texas this year and have 'Bama repeat. Hell, if we could beat Texas this year I would be ok with 'Bama winning the NCG for the next 5 years. Let's worry about ourselves first.
    We can have a damn good year without beating Texas. We've been to 3 bowl games out of 4 years under Rhoads. The year we beat Texas, we didn't bowl.

I am so god damn sick of the SEC and ESPN and everyone slobbing their knob. They need to get beat out, and I'm concerned that the only way another conference gets into that game is with an undefeated squad.

Throw in the fact that a Big 12 school winning a national title is a very good thing for this conference's overall strength and health, and I'd argue that my suggestion is directed at worrying about ourselves first.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    Do people not realize that much of the Texas hype-machine is driven by ESPN? It's good for business to create buzz over UT being "back." They were 5-4 in the Big 12 last year! They can't beat OU and every team in Texas guns for them. It's like every year the Cowboys are going to be in the playoffs. Saying it doesn't make it happen.
    So a team that went 9-4 last year with 19 returning starters, you think is being over hyped? They were just ranked to finish 4th in the preseason Big 12 poll. If anything I don't know if they are getting enough credit. If UT doesn't compete for the big 12 title this year, Mack is probably gone.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    We can have a damn good year without beating Texas. We've been to 3 bowl games out of 4 years under Rhoads. The year we beat Texas, we didn't bowl.

I am so god damn sick of the SEC and ESPN and everyone slobbing their knob. They need to get beat out, and I'm concerned that the only way another conference gets into that game is with an undefeated squad.

Throw in the fact that a Big 12 school winning a national title is a very good thing for this conference's overall strength and health, and I'd argue that my suggestion is directed at worrying about ourselves first.
    I cant believe this. You would rather have ISU lose to Texas if it meant an SEC team wouldn't win the NCG? Sure, the Big 12 would get some more air time, but what's that air time going to consist of? Probably nothing but highlights of ISU letting Texas slip one right up the gut for 60 yards. I would watch the SEC/ESPN lovefest all day everyday over watching gut wrenching replays like that.

ISU beating Texas would make our stock rise faster than Texas winning the national championship, hands down. It's ridiculous that we're even discussing this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonefan710 View Post
    Well Texas did lose to TCU last year at home so........
    Yeah, absolutely right but I guess I'm not sold on what I see as a lot of TCU hype around Pachall coming back this season (what I meant about "believe it when I see it"). TCU's defense will be legit but I don't see TCU holding UT to 13 points this season...or scoring more points.

Also, UT has a bye week after OU and before TCU.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 122

I can see UT with (3) losses: Ol' Miss + OU + OSU

Speechless
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 403

Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    Do people not realize that much of the Texas hype-machine is driven by ESPN? It's good for business to create buzz over UT being "back." They were 5-4 in the Big 12 last year! They can't beat OU and every team in Texas guns for them. It's like every year the Cowboys are going to be in the playoffs. Saying it doesn't make it happen.
    Exactly. If they ran the table, this would be like the 1980 hockey team against the Russians in the Olympics.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 845
    Given: 815

They can run the table besides losing in Ames.

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 437
    Given: 377

Hard to imagine any Big 12 team running the table this year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 126

I cant believe this. You would rather have ISU lose to Texas if it meant an SEC team wouldn't win the NCG? Sure, the Big 12 would get some more air time, but what's that air time going to consist of? Probably nothing but highlights of ISU letting Texas slip one right up the gut for 60 yards. I would watch the SEC/ESPN lovefest all day everyday over watching gut wrenching replays like that.

ISU beating Texas would make our stock rise faster than Texas winning the national championship, hands down. It's ridiculous that we're even discussing this.
    Did you learn anything during realignment?

ISU's long term security is very much hinged on the success of the Big 12. A national championship for any Big 12 school in the next couple of years is a really good thing for ISU.

I'll be rooting my heart out for ISU that day, and beating Texas at home this year would be huge if we start out 3-0. But if we lose that game, like we probably will, and Texas goes on to win the national title, I wouldn't feel bad about that loss AT ALL. Now, if we finish 11-1, I'll be singing a different tune, but we both know that ain't gonna happen. We already beat Texas. It was nice, but it got lost in the shuffle of not making a bowl game. Beating Texas, in and of itself, isn't that huge of a deal, IMO. If it spring boards us to a great year, its incredible. But if we beat Texas and do nothing else, it hasn't done a whole hell of a lot of good.

Long term, I think a Big 12 team winning a national title in the next year or two would be as beneficial (if not more) for ISU as ISU beating Texas.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    I can see UT with (3) losses: Ol' Miss + OU + OSU
    They won't lose to Ole Miss. They beat the pizz out of them last year and that was away from Austin.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Did you learn anything during realignment?

ISU's long term security is very much hinged on the success of the Big 12. A national championship for any Big 12 school in the next couple of years is a really good thing for ISU.

I'll be rooting my heart out for ISU that day, and beating Texas at home this year would be huge if we start out 3-0. But if we lose that game, like we probably will, and Texas goes on to win the national title, I wouldn't feel bad about that loss AT ALL. Now, if we finish 11-1, I'll be singing a different tune, but we both know that ain't gonna happen. We already beat Texas. It was nice, but it got lost in the shuffle of not making a bowl game. Beating Texas, in and of itself, isn't that huge of a deal, IMO. If it spring boards us to a great year, its incredible. But if we beat Texas and do nothing else, it hasn't done a whole hell of a lot of good.

Long term, I think a Big 12 team winning a national title in the next year or two would be as beneficial (if not more) for ISU as ISU beating Texas.
    First off, this mindset has to change if we are ever going to do something special at ISU. Period.

Secondly, the first time in our history we beat Texas and it got lost in the shuffle? Really? They are still putting it in recruiting videos to this day. There are many people nationally that say that game was a fluke and Texas had down year, but if we beat them again its a different story.

In order for ISU to gain any type of national attention and relevance (i.e. 9th in pre-season polls) we have to beat teams like Texas. Winning solves everything.

Pro
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 0

First off, this mindset has to change if we are ever going to do something special at ISU. Period.

Secondly, the first time in our history we beat Texas and it got lost in the shuffle? Really? They are still putting it in recruiting videos to this day. There are many people nationally that say that game was a fluke and Texas had down year, but if we beat them again its a different story.

In order for ISU to gain any type of national attention and relevance (i.e. 9th in pre-season polls) we have to beat teams like Texas. Winning solves everything.
    Yup, changing one persons thoughts and opinions on a topic is the catalyst to building a national powerhouse.

I don't think you are understanding what he is saying.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,468
    Given: 3,063

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    I don't think there is a game they can't win, but I don't see how they run the table when you combine that schedule with inconsistent QB play. I see them around 8 wins this season.

I think Ole Miss, OU, OSU, @Baylor, & @TCU are all toss ups. And I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else upset them.
    I think this is true. Texas has the talent to beat anyone on their schedule. Not sure if they have the coaching to get that out of their players every game though. Bryan Harsin was just starting to revamp their offense after Greg Davis and now he's the HC at Arkansas State. Major Applewhite has a lot to prove with inconsistent QBs.

KSU is a tough start to the Big12 season. The OU game is a toss up usually going to whichever team gets the momentum first and TCU gets them at home.

Addict
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,057
    Given: 507

Mods: Please change the typo in the thread title. The "T" in the word between "See" and "Running" should be changed to a lower case "s". TIA.