Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Dubuque weekend

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 86,247, Level: 91
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Points
    86,247
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

    Dubuque weekend

    The mrs. and i are headed to DBQ tomorrow night for a quick getaway. Neither of us have been there before. Give me your one "must do" for either DBQ or Galena. Also, is staying on Main Street worth it? We'll drink each night and the difference between Holiday Inn on Main St and Days Inn 1.5 miles away is $130. What would you do?


    "What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

    "Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 181,273, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    8,983
    Points
    181,273
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 190

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    I'm a fan of Vinny's and the Great American Popcorn Store (in Galena, there is a Vinny's in both). THe year-round Christmas store on that same street in Galena is fun if you or your wife like Christmas and ornaments.

    I've heard the trolley thing going up the hill in Dubuque is awesome.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 181,273, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    8,983
    Points
    181,273
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 190

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    as far as hotel, we spent our wedding night at the Julien and those rooms were nice, but otherwise, probably not worth it. It's a very quick drive to get back down 20.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 150,477, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,030
    Points
    150,477
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 1

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    It is in your best interest to drive to Dickeyville, Wisconsin and pick up some Spotted Cow before leaving. I made a 3.5 hour beer run just last weekend.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 86,247, Level: 91
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Points
    86,247
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    as far as hotel, we spent our wedding night at the Julien and those rooms were nice, but otherwise, probably not worth it. It's a very quick drive to get back down 20.
    so you're saying save the $130 and just take a cab back from downtown? we can walk there during the day.


    "What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

    "Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 31,918, Level: 54
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bugs4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Story County
    Posts
    891
    Points
    31,918
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 47

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    The L.May Eatery on Main is fantastic.

    I really want to do the zipline. So, far, haven't fit it in while I'm there.

    I also think the trikke tour would be a hoot. Again, keep running out of time.

    I always try to stay at the Hotel Julien. I luck out and stay there during the week for a great rate - weekend rates not as good so I understand if you stay elsewhere.

    Don't know how often this happens, but when I was in Dubuque for a week in late June, I'd walk along the river by the Grand Harbor hotel at night. The hotel had s small band playing and lots of people were out and about. And it offered a great view of the old Star Brewery where the classic Take This Job And Shove It was filmed.

    Also, the Mines of Spain park just on the south side is interesting, if the outdoors is your thing.

    I haven't had a chance to spend time in Galena for a few years, now only have time to drive right on through. We honeymooned there and had a relaxing time taking in the sites.


    "It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 181,273, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    8,983
    Points
    181,273
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 190

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    so you're saying save the $130 and just take a cab back from downtown? we can walk there during the day.
    are you both planning to be in a non-driving condition? I would just drive. Or, walk the riverwalk until someone is sober enough, haha.

    But don't fall in.

    Or get Mlaw to come drive you!

    But I would probably get a taxi, yes.



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 8,020, Level: 26
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    115
    Points
    8,020
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Grew up there. Downtown has had total makeover in last 10 yrs. You don't have to stay at the julien for 250/night. Stay at the holiday in a block off main st. Or at the redstone b&b. My wife and i stayed there over 4th of july wkend for around 130/night, enjoyed it. Easy walk to main st bars and restaurants.

    Dubuque county is the most scenic area in iowa. The one thing you must do is park farm winery, 10 miles west of dubuque on asbury road. As scenic as any napa or sonoma winery with some good wines. Bennie for cyclone fans is that it's owned by duncan glab. 90 something year old guy who played on isu's 8-1 team in 1938 then did the normandy invasion. You can see pictures of both in the winery. Nice that the coolest establishment deep in hawkeye country is owned by a cyclone, and he's proud to let you know it. Drive around that whole area - rickardsville, balltown, sherrill. God's country. Enjoy.

    Sorry, typed from my iphone half asleep.



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 9,010, Level: 28
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    516
    Points
    9,010
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    The Julien Inn is downtown and is beautifully redesigned, don't know the price. Fine dining at Pepper Sprout or Woodfire Grille, Vinny Vanucchi's if you like Italian, Crust if you like pizza, Tony Roma's offers outdoor dining overlooking the river, Catfish Charlie's for seafood lovers. If you like wine and a good singer, go to Stone Cliff Winery on the river with Johnnie Walker on Friday night. Friday night is also "All that Jazz" at the Town Clock Plaza, music and eats/drinks. Don't miss the National Mississippi River Museum and IMAX theater. Diamond Jo Casino and Mystique Casino/Dog Track if you're gamblers. Most of this is all within walking distance of either downtown hotel. If you want to stay an additional night, Peter Frampton plays at the Mississippi Moon Bar at the Diamond Jo, along with the guitarist from Toto and Rick Derringer at 8:00 Saturday night. Good luck and enjoy Dubuque! (Galena is great for shopping, snacking, and drinking...many good restaurants there, too!)

    Sorry, this was much more than just ONE "must do".



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 9,010, Level: 28
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    516
    Points
    9,010
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    I'm a fan of Vinny's and the Great American Popcorn Store (in Galena, there is a Vinny's in both). THe year-round Christmas store on that same street in Galena is fun if you or your wife like Christmas and ornaments.

    I've heard the trolley thing going up the hill in Dubuque is awesome.
    The "trolley thing" is the 4th street elevator, which is like a one car train that goes up and down the bluff. Really good views of the city and river from the top. I think it costs $3.00 round trip. The bottom of this is near the corner of 4th and Bluff streets.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 86,247, Level: 91
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Points
    86,247
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Thanks for all the suggestions. We decided to stay off Main Street and save the money for something else. It appears there is a lot to do and only a few hours to do it all.

    We were thinking All that jazz tomorrow night, Galena Saturday morning and early afternoon, hillside train saturday afternoon, casino, museum and riverwalk saturday night, and then drive around sunday morning (also hit up the field of dreams). I love history and old architecture so I'm cool with just driving around all day but that's not a possibility!


    "What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

    "Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 9,010, Level: 28
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    516
    Points
    9,010
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    Grew up there. Downtown has had total makeover in last 10 yrs. You don't have to stay at the julien for 250/night. Stay at the holiday in a block off main st. Or at the redstone b&b. My wife and i stayed there over 4th of july wkend for around 130/night, enjoyed it. Easy walk to main st bars and restaurants.

    Dubuque county is the most scenic area in iowa. The one thing you must do is park farm winery, 10 miles west of dubuque on asbury road. As scenic as any napa or sonoma winery with some good wines. Bennie for cyclone fans is that it's owned by duncan glab. 90 something year old guy who played on isu's 8-1 team in 1938 then did the normandy invasion. You can see pictures of both in the winery. Nice that the coolest establishment deep in hawkeye country is owned by a cyclone, and he's proud to let you know it. Drive around that whole area - rickardsville, balltown, sherrill. God's country. Enjoy.

    Sorry, typed from my iphone half asleep.
    Yes, there are two or three nice B&B's in the downtown area. I have heard that they are very nice. If you drive up to Balltown, eat at Breitbach's...the oldest restaurant in Iowa. There are also many alternative hotels on the west side of Dubuque, most of which offer shuttle service to the downtown area, including the casinos if you are drinkers.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 181,273, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    8,983
    Points
    181,273
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 190

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Lifer View Post
    The "trolley thing" is the 4th street elevator, which is like a one car train that goes up and down the bluff. Really good views of the city and river from the top. I think it costs $3.00 round trip. The bottom of this is near the corner of 4th and Bluff streets.

    haha, thanks. I was thinking about the Galena trolley and decided to go with that for the name.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 9,010, Level: 28
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    516
    Points
    9,010
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We decided to stay off Main Street and save the money for something else. It appears there is a lot to do and only a few hours to do it all.

    We were thinking All that jazz tomorrow night, Galena Saturday morning and early afternoon, hillside train saturday afternoon, casino, museum and riverwalk saturday night, and then drive around sunday morning (also hit up the field of dreams). I love history and old architecture so I'm cool with just driving around all day but that's not a possibility!
    You might want to check the hours of the Mississippi River Museum, not sure if it is open in the evenings?



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 86,247, Level: 91
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Points
    86,247
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

    Re: Dubuque weekend

    good call. it's open 9-6 so we'll hit it up sunday morning.


    "What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

    "Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM