Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 105
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 5,662, Level: 22
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,662
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    The City Council voted not to renew the red light cameras! Look for some major budget cuts within the city! Citizens can kick in into high gear on Hickman Rd.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 115,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,761
    Points
    115,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Awesome. I don't run red lights but I don't like big brother watching me every morning and afternoon on my commute. They didn't have the money before and did just fine, they can do without the money again.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 130,649, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,927
    Points
    130,649
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 119

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    That's great, but I'm really surprised they would do that. They don't care about our safety anymore.


    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 115,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,761
    Points
    115,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Listen to that councilman:

    "So effectively the 3 who voted no have created a $700,000 gap in our current budget."

    Eat it, old man. You guys will have to do your jobs and find savings elsewhere.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 130,649, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,927
    Points
    130,649
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 119

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    I hope they didn't end the contract with the current company just because they plan to work with a different company. It'd be nice to have heard the whole debate to know why the decision was made.


    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 44,816, Level: 65
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    916
    Points
    44,816
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 33

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Did they "vote down" red light cameras? Or did they vote to not approve an agreement renewal with a particular vendor? Big difference.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 130,649, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,927
    Points
    130,649
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 119

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Listen to that councilman:

    "So effectively the 3 who voted no have created a $700,000 gap in our current budget."

    Eat it, old man. You guys will have to do your jobs and find savings elsewhere.
    I loved that. They mayor cut him off before that went any further. After all, it isn't about the money.


    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***



  8. #8
    Recruit
    Points: 5,662, Level: 22
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,662
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Cameras will totally gone! No other vendors!



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,959, Level: 20
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    227
    Points
    4,959
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 5

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    They are only going to be shut off for now since they have no existing contract with Redflex. It will be interesting if the council comes to some agreement and sign a new contract. Hearing the discussion it would surprise me if they come back. I'm NOT going to be happy if my property taxes go up because they go away, cause I'm sure they will say they can't do without the public safety folks the $700k from the cameras purchase.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,825, Level: 81
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Jordanj6502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,753
    Points
    68,825
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 22

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Why do people dislike red light cameras?



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 424,090, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,809
    Points
    424,090
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 884
    Given: 423

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanj6502 View Post
    Why do people dislike red light cameras?
    For me its because they dont give the same leeway a regular officer would. Sure, in the cases that someone is blatantly blowing through an intersection its a good thing to ticket, those are the real danger. But often the biggest revenue from these comes from those that are just slow-rolling a right turn or are just a second late for the light. Most of these are likely to be let go by an officer but not a camera, and one isnt a danger at all (you can assess the intersection without coming to a complete stop) and the other could be helped in other ways, such as lengthening either the yellow or the all-red period.

    I mean, in some ways at least the speed cameras recognize this, and they only ticket for 10+ over, giving the leeway an officer usually would, whereas the red light cameras are more strict.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 312,150, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,775
    Points
    312,150
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,627
    Given: 619

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    For me its because they dont give the same leeway a regular officer would. Sure, in the cases that someone is blatantly blowing through an intersection its a good thing to ticket, those are the real danger. But often the biggest revenue from these comes from those that are just slow-rolling a right turn or are just a second late for the light. Most of these are likely to be let go by an officer but not a camera, and one isnt a danger at all (you can assess the intersection without coming to a complete stop) and the other could be helped in other ways, such as lengthening either the yellow or the all-red period.

    I mean, in some ways at least the speed cameras recognize this, and they only ticket for 10+ over, giving the leeway an officer usually would, whereas the red light cameras are more strict.

    Bold 1: Tell that to the state trooper that gave me a ticket for that exact thing, so it's not always that the officer would give leeway. There was nothing at all unsafe about it, but I did not meet the requirement of the law, and it was during budget crunch, so I got popped. Not whining that I did...I broke the law...merely arguing that humans can decide on arbitrary criteria (I don't feel like doing a stop...let it slide...had an argument with my boss...this sumbich is going down), but the cameras should do it consistently....

    Which doesn't mean to say that I'm in favor of them....the second bold (lengthening the yellow) is that point...it's been shown that that yellow light times tend to go down significantly when RLC's are used...'cause you're passing up free money when you have long yellows.




    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 424,090, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,809
    Points
    424,090
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 884
    Given: 423

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Bold 1: Tell that to the state trooper that gave me a ticket for that exact thing, so it's not always that the officer would give leeway. There was nothing at all unsafe about it, but I did not meet the requirement of the law, and it was during budget crunch, so I got popped. Not whining that I did...I broke the law...merely arguing that humans can decide on arbitrary criteria (I don't feel like doing a stop...let it slide...had an argument with my boss...this sumbich is going down), but the cameras should do it consistently....

    Which doesn't mean to say that I'm in favor of them....the second bold (lengthening the yellow) is that point...it's been shown that that yellow light times tend to go down significantly when RLC's are used...'cause you're passing up free money when you have long yellows.
    As to the first, i guess i meant typically. Of course if an officer is trying to raise money (just like the cameras) he'll pop you on a technicality.

    And yeah, the second one has definitely happened. I think in one place the a city got in trouble for it because theyd actually set the yellows way below safe limits. Not saying thats the case here, but a city that has the cameras like clive also isnt likely to investigate whether they could reduce citations given by lengthening the yellow, as it would be counterproductive to their cashflow



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 734,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,067
    Points
    734,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,184
    Given: 1,040

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanj6502 View Post
    Why do people dislike red light cameras?
    It's about the kind of relationship that we would like to have with our government.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 734,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,067
    Points
    734,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,184
    Given: 1,040

    Re: Clive Votes Down RED LIGHTS

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    As to the first, i guess i meant typically. Of course if an officer is trying to raise money (just like the cameras) he'll pop you on a technicality.

    And yeah, the second one has definitely happened. I think in one place the a city got in trouble for it because theyd actually set the yellows way below safe limits. Not saying thats the case here, but a city that has the cameras like clive also isnt likely to investigate whether they could reduce citations given by lengthening the yellow, as it would be counterproductive to their cashflow
    Florida was caught doing this at many key intersections.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM