Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Re: Rewatched ISU-WVU, feel great about SR

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I see plenty of positives with a few negatives with Sam. I think the positives have been trumpeted quite often since last season. Here are my biggest concerns:

1) Arm strength. He's ok but doesn't possess a great arm for tight windows
    2) Accuracy. He's young and this will improve, but he does get a little lax with his fundamentals which lead to some bad throws last year
    3) Athleticism. Sam made great reads on the option last year. However, Sam isn't the most fleet of foot and sometimes tries to make runs he's not capable of. If he makes his read and gets the 3-5 yards that are available to him instead of trying to get something to the sideline, I think we'll see a lot of 1st downs this year out of the O.
    I would agree that he doesn't appear to have great athleticism, but I think he's a very deceptive runner. When he tucks the ball away, he certainly doesn't look like he's moving very quickly, but he still manages to make a player or two miss on a lot of his runs. I'm not sure what it is, but it gets the job done, and that's all that matters to me.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 17

If we can get the run going this year with the pistol, we won't need SR to put up big numbers. We just need him to get the 3-5 yards and not turn the ball over. I think he is the guy for that, seeing his careful decisions in the two games he started in. I don't really care if our offense constantly scores on big plays, we just need to keep getting first downs and score when we get opportunities. If we succeed on offense this year we are going to look more like a K-state than the typical big 12 offense.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

I rewatched the game the other night too for the first time and SR played in par with Geno Smith, a guy many thought would be the #1 pick, WV ran the ball well but SR was just as accurate as Geno. The major issues that day is I lost count on how many passes Horne dropped, just like the Baylor game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    One game against Kansas (awful all-around), one game against WVU (awful defense), one game against Tulsa (mediocre).

Let that sink in.
    He was violently ill against Tulsa.

Do you think Jantz, Barnett, Arnaud, Meyer, etc would have taken that good of care of the ball while producing that many TDs in a 9 quarter span?

I don't think Sam Richardson is going to be All Big 12, but I see a lot more that leads me to believe he will be a more productive QB than anyone in the past few years than I do that gives me concern.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 07-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 100

Sam really hasn't had a "regular" game to play. Kansas was a terrible defense, WVU was a bad defense but horrible weather and Tulsa he was sick. Interested to see what he can do but I feel like the accuracy is there

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

One game against Kansas (awful all-around), one game against WVU (awful defense), one game against Tulsa (mediocre).

Let that sink in.
    Pretty strong words for a redshirt freshman getting thrown into a quarterback battle with three games left. I will respond that his performances were better than any other performance at quarterback we had last season, minus maybe Jantz against Baylor but there is no reason to go down that road with Baylor's defense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUagger View Post
    If we can get the run going this year with the pistol, we won't need SR to put up big numbers. We just need him to get the 3-5 yards and not turn the ball over. I think he is the guy for that, seeing his careful decisions in the two games he started in. I don't really care if our offense constantly scores on big plays, we just need to keep getting first downs and score when we get opportunities. If we succeed on offense this year we are going to look more like a K-state than the typical big 12 offense.
    I'd love to see Sammy's rushing stats something like this: 7 attempts 50 yds, 7 ypc etc. Love to see many of these on 3rd downs etc, it crushes the defense to have a 3rd and 6 and give up a 1st down on a run or scramble by a QB.

Run him enough that the defense has to "stay honest" and respect what he can do, dont run him so much that he gets banged up and cant play.

I love the potential that we saw in the KU game. I know it was KU but we have played other poor teams in the past and we havent seen QB performance like that. If he can consistently play at a level even close to what we saw at KU we have something at the QB position that we havent had since you know who, a difference maker. Dont get me wrong AA and some of the others were solid, servicable QB's but I dont think they scared opposing Dcoords. If Sammy can consistently perform similar to that KU game he will be something that others gameplan for.

ďItís beyond pride. Itís a restored trust. Thereís a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State ďitĒ factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the manís enthusiasm is genuine to the core...Ē
    Ė columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Pretty strong words for a redshirt freshman getting thrown into a quarterback battle with three games left. I will respond that his performances were better than any other performance at quarterback we had last season, minus maybe Jantz against Baylor but there is no reason to go down that road with Baylor's defense.

Agreed. Tough spot to be put in as a freshman, and feel great about him. To put in perspective, though, WVU's defense was not just bad. They allowed 47 points/game in Big 12 games. Take away the Kansas game where they allowed only 10 and that average is 53 points/game against real offenses. Do love that he doesn't turn the ball over.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've rewatched the WVU game a couple of times, and the amount of near-misses and blown opportunities in the last 5 minutes are pretty gut wrenching. We really should have won that game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I feel like the KU performance is a nearly impossible standard for anyone to match. What QB throws 85% every game?

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

Jantz would have had at least 4 turnovers in that span. Hell, he had more turnovers during that exact time period than Sam and only played a handful of minutes. As unreliable as our offense is when it comes to scoring points, ISU can't afford turnovers period. Sam so far has shown that he takes care of the ball for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    Jantz would have had at least 4 turnovers in that span. Hell, he had more turnovers during that exact time period than Sam and only played a handful of minutes. As unreliable as our offense is when it comes to scoring points, ISU can't afford turnovers period. Sam so far has shown that he takes care of the ball for the most part.
    That's true. What, did he have 3 TOs in about 3 quarters of play?

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    Last year, I saw the worst separation (sans a healthy Lenz) from our WRs than I have in years. Add the drops to that, its easy to make the QB look inefficient.
    Also add very little protection on most plays. We can't blame that on the QB either.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 629
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 104

Need a big year out of the Sophomore, no doubt. Need a "Sage-esque" type of year out of him... say, 2000 type of year. Move the chains on critical third downs, run when you have to and keep the TO's to a minimum. All-in-all, he needs to lead this team and take charge.

A lot is on his shoulders, and I like it that way. He'll handle it.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Let that sink in.
    Oh, it's sunk in. I'm pretty confident all those stats mentioned above would have been worse had Steele or JB played those games instead. I do not think the kid is the second coming of RGIII, nor do I think he's going to light the Big 12 on fire. But, from everything I've seen since Wallace left, I feel we have a guy who has a really good shot of being known as a solid Big 12 QB. I've watched the games over the last 10 years, I know not to put too much into any QB, no matter the hype or how much experience, but it does get a little tiresome to have people constantly tell you how bad things are. Whatever happened to the middle of the road. No need to crown the guy king of the Big 12, but there really is no reason to think, at this point, he's going to be as bad as what we've seen over the last couple of years. If you can't see some improvement over Steele and JB, then you just aren't watching the same games I am.