Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Chimps Demonstrate Better ST Memory Than Humans

Never mind that TV show that asks if you're smarter than a fifth-grader. Is your memory better than a young chimp's?

Maybe not.

Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in two tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won.

That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.

"No one can imagine that chimpanzees young chimpanzees at the age of 5 have a better performance in a memory task than humans," he said in a statement.
    Matsuzawa, a pioneer in studying the mental abilities of chimps, said even he was surprised. He and colleague Sana Inoue report the results in Tuesday's issue of the journal Current Biology.

One memory test included three 5-year-old chimps who'd been taught the order of Arabic numerals 1 through 9, and a dozen human volunteers.

They saw nine numbers displayed on a computer screen. When they touched the first number, the other eight turned into white squares. The test was to touch all these squares in the order of the numbers that used to be there.

Results showed that the chimps, while no more accurate than the people, could do this faster.

One chimp, Ayumu, did the best. Researchers included him and nine college students in a second test.

This time, five numbers flashed on the screen only briefly before they were replaced by white squares. The challenge, again, was to touch these squares in the proper sequence.

When the numbers were displayed for about seven-tenths of a second, Ayumu and the college students were both able to do this correctly about 80 percent of the time.

But when the numbers were displayed for just four-tenths or two-tenths of a second, the chimp was the champ. The briefer of those times is too short to allow a look around the screen, and in those tests Ayumu still scored about 80 percent, while humans plunged to 40 percent.

That indicates Ayumu was better at taking in the whole pattern of numbers at a glance, the researchers wrote.

"It's amazing what this chimpanzee is able to do," said Elizabeth Lonsdorf, director of the Lester E. Fisher Center for the Study and Conservation of Apes at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. The center studies the mental abilities of apes, but Lonsdorf didn't participate in the new study.

She admired Ayumu's performance when the numbers flashed only briefly on the screen.

"I just watched the video of that and I can tell you right now, there's no way I can do it," she said. "It's unbelievable. I can't even get the first two (squares)."

What's going on here? Even with six months of training, three students failed to catch up to the three young chimps, Matsuzawa said in an e-mail.

Link"
    Young chimp beats college students - Yahoo! News

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

Re: Chimps Demonstrate Better ST Memory Than Humans

I knew humans were dumb!

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

What was this thread about?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does this somehow relate to why some people are book smart and why others are street smart?

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Chimps also demonstrate better poo-throwing accuracy.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post

You know if you could do it without being judged, you would fling poo too. =)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If that's the case, I should tell people I work with a bunch of chimps. That's giving the chimps a bad name.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I disagree.....I have yet to see a Chimp win the Cow Chip Throwing Contest at the Iowa State Fair!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    You know if you could do it without being judged, you would fling poo too. =)
    I like to limit my poo-flinging to EIU fans and Hilary Clinton voters.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    I disagree.....I have yet to see a Chimp win the Cow Chip Throwing Contest at the Iowa State Fair!!
    That contest is about DISTANCE, not accuracy.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like to limit my poo-flinging to EIU fans and Hilary Clinton voters.

Ah yes, throwing poo at them would be like throwing them at themselves.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That contest is about DISTANCE, not accuracy.
    I knew someone was going to say that as soon as I posted it.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 47

I think this study was done on Iowa and Nebraska fans...remember "the catch" "remember when Tom O walked on water"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Never mind that TV show that asks if you're smarter than a fifth-grader. Is your memory better than a young chimp's?

Maybe not.

Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in two tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won.

That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.

"No one can imagine that chimpanzees young chimpanzees at the age of 5 have a better performance in a memory task than humans," he said in a statement.
    Matsuzawa, a pioneer in studying the mental abilities of chimps, said even he was surprised. He and colleague Sana Inoue report the results in Tuesday's issue of the journal Current Biology.

One memory test included three 5-year-old chimps who'd been taught the order of Arabic numerals 1 through 9, and a dozen human volunteers.

They saw nine numbers displayed on a computer screen. When they touched the first number, the other eight turned into white squares. The test was to touch all these squares in the order of the numbers that used to be there.

Results showed that the chimps, while no more accurate than the people, could do this faster.

One chimp, Ayumu, did the best. Researchers included him and nine college students in a second test.

This time, five numbers flashed on the screen only briefly before they were replaced by white squares. The challenge, again, was to touch these squares in the proper sequence.

When the numbers were displayed for about seven-tenths of a second, Ayumu and the college students were both able to do this correctly about 80 percent of the time.

But when the numbers were displayed for just four-tenths or two-tenths of a second, the chimp was the champ. The briefer of those times is too short to allow a look around the screen, and in those tests Ayumu still scored about 80 percent, while humans plunged to 40 percent.

That indicates Ayumu was better at taking in the whole pattern of numbers at a glance, the researchers wrote.

"It's amazing what this chimpanzee is able to do," said Elizabeth Lonsdorf, director of the Lester E. Fisher Center for the Study and Conservation of Apes at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. The center studies the mental abilities of apes, but Lonsdorf didn't participate in the new study.

She admired Ayumu's performance when the numbers flashed only briefly on the screen.

"I just watched the video of that and I can tell you right now, there's no way I can do it," she said. "It's unbelievable. I can't even get the first two (squares)."

What's going on here? Even with six months of training, three students failed to catch up to the three young chimps, Matsuzawa said in an e-mail.

Link"
    Young chimp beats college students - Yahoo! News

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Speechless
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 116

OT - Possibility for new TV Show during writers strike

MyFox Colorado | Young Chimp Beats College Students In Memory Exercise

Young Chimp Beats College Students In Memory Exercise Last Edited: Monday, 03 Dec 2007, 8:05 AM MST Created: Monday, 03 Dec 2007, 8:05 AM MST This photo provided by the Primate Research Institute in Kyoto, Japan, show a chimpanzee named Ayumu as he performs the second stage of a memory test in which he must recall the location on a touch sensitive monitor of numerals that have changed to squares, Dec. 13, 2006, at the Institute in Kyoto. (AP Photo/Primate Research Institute, Kyoto/Tetsuro Matsuzawa)
    By MALCOLM RITTER
    AP Science Writer

NEW YORK -- Never mind that TV show that asks if you're smarter than a fifth-grader. Is your memory better than a young chimp's? Maybe not.
    "No one can imagine that chimpanzees -- young chimpanzees at the age of 5 -- have a better performance in a memory task than humans," he said in a statement.
    He thinks two factors gave his chimps the edge. For one thing, he believes human ancestors gave up much of this skill over evolutionary time to make room in the brain for gaining language abilities.
    The other factor is the youth of Ayumu and his peers. The memory for images that's needed for the tests resembles a skill found in children, but which dissipates with age. In fact, the young chimps performed better than older chimps in the new study. (Ayuma's mom did even worse than the college students).
    So the next logical step, Lonsdorf said, is to fix up Ayumu with some real competition on these tests: little kids.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.