Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

Re: The Pouncey Brothers and their "Free Hernandez" hats

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    They've always put the organization above individuals so I sincerely doubt they agree with you that protecting the reputation of the family business would be "stupid".

You really think after the public reaction to this that they would have a PR problem? Players might ***** about it, but if that had any effect on the most successful NFL franchise's ability to attract players I'd be shocked.
    If they cut a player because he chose to support a former teammate who is, as of now, still not guilty of any crime, yes that would be a PR situation, certainly a bigger one than if they just issued a statement saying "While we disagree with Mr. Pouncey's stance on this issue and have conveyed that disagreement to him, the Steelers support his right to believe what he chooses." Bam, end of story.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 334

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    If they cut a player because he chose to support a former teammate who is, as of now, still not guilty of any crime, yes that would be a PR situation, certainly a bigger one than if they just issued a statement saying "While we disagree with Mr. Pouncey's stance on this issue and have conveyed that disagreement to him, the Steelers support his right to believe what he chooses." Bam, end of story.
    in the public's opinion they are at best supporting an accessory to murder, and probably a murderer. I'm not seeing where the PR problem would come from?

I don't agree with the second part at all, issuing that statement wouldn't be a PR problem but I think it's pretty obvious that the continued public show of support would be a huge PR problem.

With as fast as his apology came out I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Rooney's told him exactly that. Cut it out or find a different job.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    in the public's opinion they are at best supporting an accessory to murder, and probably a murderer. I'm not seeing where the PR problem would come from?

I don't agree with the second part at all, issuing that statement wouldn't be a PR problem but I think it's pretty obvious that the continued public show of support would be a huge PR problem.

With as fast as his apology came out I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Rooney's told him exactly that. Cut it out or find a different job.
    but what has the public response been? It's basically a dead story at this point. Gone from ESPN's NFL page. The fact that there was any outcry at all, was silly.

And faced with being cut? Laughable. Pouncey would have found another job in a day. And since I believe he's still on his rookie contract, he would have been making more money. There was zero threat that the Steelers would cut him over this incident. Zero.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 334

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    but what has the public response been? It's basically a dead story at this point. Gone from ESPN's NFL page. The fact that there was any outcry at all, was silly.

And faced with being cut? Laughable. Pouncey would have found another job in a day. And since I believe he's still on his rookie contract, he would have been making more money. There was zero threat that the Steelers would cut him over this incident. Zero.
    Like you said, regardless of your opinion of it, there was outcry. It was a national story and none of it portrayed him a good light. I'm sure that's a big reason why he apologized so quickly.

Pouncey would be signed in a heartbeat, and probably on a much worse team. It's pretty obvious that his public support was less important to him then whatever he thought was at risk.

Zero chance that an owner, who obviously prioritizes org reputation, cuts someone who is continuing to drag the Steelers through the mud by showing support for an alleged murderer and whose recent shady connections to said murderer have come into the public eye? I'm trying to see where you're coming from but I just can't.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I thought they were be rumored to be involved with the 2007 shooting that Hernadez is being connected to? These guys appear to be about the same quality persons that AH is.
    Seriously? They were hanging out with Hernandez that night, there was no charges ever filed against the Pouncey brothers or anything. You're going to compare that to somebody who definitely killed one person and may have killed more?

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

I'd be very surprised if every NFL team didn't send out a memo to all of their players specifically saying to not touch this case with an 150 foot pole.