Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 20,136, Level: 43
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Sparkplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indianola
    Posts
    600
    Points
    20,136
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

    Geology Major - please help identify rock

    I found this rock in my field and I want to know what made the various openings. The one opening is 2 inches by 2 inches.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	20779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	20780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	20781



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 23,485, Level: 46
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NorthCyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,351
    Points
    23,485
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 7

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Just try e-mailing the geology department. When I was in school they would get questions of this nature, and generally seeemes happy to share knowledge in their discipline.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 164,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,684
    Points
    164,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 79

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    I think the geologists are all in this thread:

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ists-here.html



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 323,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,386
    Points
    323,063
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 359

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    I think the geologists are all in this thread:

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ists-here.html

    If any show up, could someone send the horticulturalists to my thread? TIA.




  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 78,235, Level: 86
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    GrindingAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,873
    Points
    78,235
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 11

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Holy crap that's a finger rock. They've been mostly replaced in modern times with the very poplar finger box. But before people had good tools to craft a finger box they had to settle for rocks. I'd definitely find antique roadshow. An antique finger box in good condition will often bring 6 figures. I can't imagine what a finger rock would bring.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 728,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,188
    Points
    728,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,132
    Given: 593

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    I found this rock in my field and I want to know what made the various openings. The one opening is 2 inches by 2 inches.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	20779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	20780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	20781
    Fred Flintstone's bowling ball.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 186,768, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,537
    Points
    186,768
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 222

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Quote Originally Posted by GrindingAway View Post
    Holy crap that's a finger rock. They've been mostly replaced in modern times with the very poplar finger box. But before people had good tools to craft a finger box they had to settle for rocks. I'd definitely find antique roadshow. An antique finger box in good condition will often bring 6 figures. I can't imagine what a finger rock would bring.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 22,696, Level: 46
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    999
    Points
    22,696
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    I found this rock in my field and I want to know what made the various openings. The one opening is 2 inches by 2 inches.
    When the rock was formed there was softer material that was water soluble. Its gone now. Nothing spectacular. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.


    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 5,252, Level: 21
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    mganzeveld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    140
    Points
    5,252
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Looks like limestone to me. As for the holes? Probably something to do with erosion that would be better explained by a geologist.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 27,406, Level: 50
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,050
    Points
    27,406
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 114

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    You really need to take it in to a geologist. It's really tough to identify a rock from a photo, unless it is something obvious. We rely on things like density, actual color, hardness, scratch test, acid test, inspection with a hand lens, etc. The fact that the opening is 2x2 inches is intriguing. It could be vuggy dolomite or limestone. But remember, depending on which part of Iowa you are in, it could be a piece of local bedrock (limestone, dolomite, etc.) or it could be something brought in from MN or Canada by the glaciers. Sounds like a cop-out, but we really need to see these brutes in person. Sorry I cannot be of more help. If you can tell me where you found it, I might be able to provide a little more info.


    Last edited by CNECloneFan; 07-14-2013 at 06:44 PM.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 323,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,386
    Points
    323,063
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 359

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Quote Originally Posted by CNECloneFan View Post
    You really need to take it in to a geologist. It's really tough to identify a rock from a photo, unless it is something obvious. We rely on things like density, actual color, hardness, scratch test, acid test, inspection with a hand lens, etc. The fact that the opening is 2x2 inches is intriguing. It could be vuggy dolomite or limestone. But remember, depending on which part of Iowa you are in, it could be a piece of local bedrock (limestone, dolomite, etc.) or it could be something brought in from MN or Canada by the glaciers. Sounds like a cop-out, but we really need to see these brutes in person. Sorry I cannot be of more help. If you can tell me where you found it, I might be able to provide a little more info.
    Duh, read the post...he said he found it in his field.



    I keed, I keed.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 20,136, Level: 43
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Sparkplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indianola
    Posts
    600
    Points
    20,136
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    [QUOTE=00clone;3518045]Duh, read the post...he said he found it in his field.



    CNEClnefan wanted to know what county, state



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 323,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,386
    Points
    323,063
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 359

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    [QUOTE=Sparkplug;3518080]
    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Duh, read the post...he said he found it in his field.



    CNEClnefan wanted to know what county, state
    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Duh, read the post...he said he found it in his field.



    I keed, I keed.

    ^^^^the little guy with the eyepatch means I was being a smartarse and not a dumbarse.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 142,764, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,605
    Points
    142,764
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 595

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    [QUOTE=Sparkplug;3518080]
    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Duh, read the post...he said he found it in his field.



    CNEClnefan wanted to know what county, state
    You screwed up quoting and the meaning of the Jimlad all in one post? Why don't you sit the next couple of plays out, champ?



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 11,966, Level: 33
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    DarkStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    588
    Points
    11,966
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 67

    Re: Geology Major - please help identify rock

    Either the Knights Templar or Ancient Aliens.

    You need to send these pics to the History Channel ASAP!



    If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim."
    Lyndon B. Johnson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM