Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 15

Great Weekend!

Wow, I just realized that our Cyclones won a lot this weekend. Both basketball teams, volleyball - twice, wrestling beats the #1, and even swimming beat UNI. A big congrats to our athletes and the athletic department. what a great weekend to be a Cyclone!

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Great Weekend!

Not that I am complaining, but it would be great if we were finding out we were going to a bowl game after a great season.

But that's just would make it an even greater weekend to be a Cyclone, still a great week in Cyclone country.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree...what a great week! I'm sure my wife appreciates the great mood I have been in for the past several days as well.

GO CYCLONES!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

Hopefully this was a great weekend to kick off the start of a great month of December, which will be the kickoff into a great 2008 of sports.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Wow, I just realized that our Cyclones won a lot this weekend. Both basketball teams, volleyball - twice, wrestling beats the #1, and even swimming beat UNI. A big congrats to our athletes and the athletic department. what a great weekend to be a Cyclone!
    No kidding...my blog entry hit on that yesterday, and that was before the wrestling meet too!!

Juice blogs » The Cyclones

A Great Weekend of Sports by Jerry Hales
    :: December 2nd, 2007 :: 2:27 pm

After a horrible couple of days to be a Cyclone fan on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week (loss to UNI and Lucca Staiger’s appeal getting shot down by the big bad NCAA), we needed this weekend to back us off the ledge. In case you missed it, the Cyclones made it by Oregon State in overtime on Friday night. After Wesley Johnson fouled out in regulation, the young Cyclones showed some resilience in extra frames and held on to outlast the Beavers, 71-64. Craig Brackins and Rahshon Clark both had double/doubles with 23 points/10 rebounds and 15 points/11 rebounds respectively. Perhaps the biggest positive from the game was the sign of life that transfer big man Alex Thompson showed in posting 12 points and 5 rebounds. The night was not without a downside though, as Coach McDermott mentioned on the post-game show that ISU star Wesley Johnson may have to take a medical redshirt for this season. More information should be out on this later in the week. The Cyclone women also won on Friday night, beating Montana State to record their 500th win in Hilton Coliseum.

Cyclone fans with the Big 10 network could also could take some small pleasure in watching the Hawkeyes lose to the mighty Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe in Iowa’s own tournament. I happen to be one that thinks Todd Lickliter is a solid coach, but the poor guy couldn’t have known what he was getting into for this year at least in Iowa City. I have heard both Lickliter and his assistants speak at different coaching clinics before the season started, and they seem to be bright and passionate coaches. The only bummer is that they seemed pretty optimistic about the season before it started, and obviously things haven’t been looking good early on.

If I would have had my DirecTV go down after the ISU game Friday night/Saturday morning and it stayed down for the rest of the weekend, I would have been satisfied with my sports weekend already. Strangely enough, it got even better. UNI got bucked down and out of the playoffs at the UNIdome on Saturday afternoon. The only thing that would have been sweeter would have been seeing the game in person after listening to the UNI fans talk about national title hopes while pouring it on thick at Hilton. Hopefully this emphatically signaled the end of hearing all the talk about how great Panther football is for at least 6 or 7 months. Too much purple makes my eyes bleed!

In the absolute shocker of the weekend, the Cyclone volleyball women capped off a great weekend by defeating the overall #7 seed, perennial power Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament to advance to the “sweet sixteen”. Even more amazing, the Cyclones knocked off the Badgers at Madison and completely dominated the match, winning 3 games to 0. They have now beaten 3 straight ranked teams, and will play California in Madison again next Friday night. I’ll be honest, I’ve only been to a few volleyball matches over the years, but you have to get behind this team as hard as they’ve been competing. Their win on Saturday had to be one of the great wins in school history, as Wisconsin is one of the elite programs in the country and they were playing at home.

Well like I said, we needed a weekend like this after some of the developments over the last few weeks. After this week we should know a little more about our teams, as the Men’s/Women’s basketball teams both play Drake and Iowa, while the wrestlers will hit the mats in about an hour in a #1 vs. #2 showdown with Minnesota. And don’t forget that we still have a fall sports team in action as the volleyball team continues on against Cal on Friday night. Don’t blink or you’ll miss something Cyclone this week!

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, great weekend for Cyclone nation! break out the checkbooks everyone! momentum like this will get the endzone bowled in and additions to Hilton in no time!

Anyway, regarding the wrestling match vs. Minnesota... some of us on here have pointed out CR Gazette negative bias towards the Clones... the headline states that ISU "surprises" Minnesota... is a #2 beating a #1 really a surprise? I mean if ISU were ranked #25 or were unranked I'd consider it a huge upset, but it makes it sound as if ISU got lucky by catching Min.. off guard and "surprised" them.... (sorry if this was pointed out in the match thread)..

Cyclones surprise top-ranked Gophers, 18-13 | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802