Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 177

Re: CFTV: Royce White media session after CCL outing

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Hoiberg was played for a fool with the whole Royce thing. But then I realize that Hoiberg appears to have a personality trait that few people do, he just seems to give people the benefit of the doubt. He seems to not judge people. This showed itself in Royce probably the most, but it also showed in guys like Korie and Chris Allen who were kicked off their previous team. I have no idea what any player is like in real life, but to see guys thrive in basketball is really cool.
    I think Fred is one of the only people that could have pulled the Royce adventure off.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 58

Royce White Media Comments

I think Royce was very well spoken and clear about his position and that he's not the only one with a phobia about flying and the negative health consequences for those NBA players who gave in to travel demands that were not in their best health interests.

Taking all the flak he's taken for someone facing a recognized health issue shows a great deal of ignorance and lack of enlightened self-interest by those taking shots. A better workplace and a safe workplace have always been an issue that those being abused have had to correct. And all benefit from a safe and better work environment. Including those arguing against it.

You go Royce!

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 122

As others have said, I think the twitter thing for him has been his downfall the past year. His Dr. Phil interview/story was great, this piece from last night is great. If he would have just hired a good publicist to make some statements, I think a lot more people would be "pro Royce" types.

His comment about a bus being a "benefit" and the hiccups with the players union is a huge can of worms and I'm sure the NBA had MANY hoops/lawyers to go through to figure out this said "protocol" he's working on.

Still love the guy and hope this can get ironed out as his skillset is unique and would be great to see in the NBA...and I think that would truly lead to his other goal, more open discussions about mental health.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Hoiberg was played for a fool with the whole Royce thing. But then I realize that Hoiberg appears to have a personality trait that few people do, he just seems to give people the benefit of the doubt. He seems to not judge people. This showed itself in Royce probably the most, but it also showed in guys like Korie and Chris Allen who were kicked off their previous team. I have no idea what any player is like in real life, but to see guys thrive in basketball is really cool.
    No, more likely he's had to deal with serious health issues and knows first hand how callous that can be in any career. And it changes how you look at people who are called out for "claiming illness as a crutch" by those who don't want to help or try and understand. Blaming the victim is an age old game because it works more often than not.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 560

Re: Royce White Media Comments

At this point I think what he has succeeded in doing in making sure no team in the NBA will ever take a gamble again with somebody who has anxiety disorder.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 228

I guess that is why I can't figure out other Cyclone fans butt hurt about Royce. He has been nothing but good to us and yet some fans still feel the need to rip on the guy. Houston fans I understand, they got short changed in a sense but ISU fans only benefited from RW.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    At this point I think what he has succeeded in doing in making sure no team in the NBA will ever take a gamble again with somebody who has anxiety disorder.
    As you say, at this point, I'd have to agree. But hopefully the story is not over just yet.

I'd also agree with others who say that RW come across much, much better in interviews than he does on Twitter. But in the end, both are just words. RW success will ultimately be judged by his actions. If he never plays in the NBA, it will be hard to see how he helped the cause of players with mental disorders, and a case could probably be made that he hurt that cause.

And while technically it was the Houston Rockets who never called up RW to play in the NBA, some of his actions made it difficult or impossible for them to call him up.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,235
    Given: 3,046

Andy, Jon Sears and AD just had a RW bash session to open the show. Love how butt hurt the media is on this. They said he didn't answer questions, whatever.

CF SURVIVOR 4 WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 160

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

I'd also agree with others who say that RW come across much, much better in interviews than he does on Twitter. But in the end, both are just words. RW success will ultimately be judged by his actions.

And while technically it was the Houston Rockets who never called up RW to play in the NBA, some of his actions made it difficult or impossible for them to call him up.
    Yes, Royce White is very articulate, and fans become quite enamored with this. Kinda think though, that the Sixers, (or any NBA team) are wanting to see a little more commitment to basketball...

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

Say what we will with regard to Royces' skill as an interviewee or his lack of skill as a twitter participant........ Royce White changed people's lives in albeit small but heart-warming ways after his session with the media Wednesday night.

I saw Royce White kissing babies, hugging small children, signing autographs, and staging photo ops for anyone who asked. He crossed the gym to sit with an eighty something year old man so his wife could record the event with her flash camera.
    He stood at the head of the line for the better part of an hour and a half to sign basketballs, pictures, backpacks, programs, and well actually anything that was thrust in front of his face. He did all of this with no sign of resentment or lack of interest.

He spoke to anyone and everyone who approached him with that wide grin of his, and the conversations ranged from "let me see that" which was a reference to a tatoo he wanted to scutinize a bit closer, to the recent issuance of a video game a young boy wanted to discuss with Royce. I saw a young boy, five or six years old, dance a little jig with his dad after the youngster saw the picture his father had taken of him and Royce with his cell phone.

These moments will not be lost on these children and I would like to thank Royce White for being the kind of giving person that I aspire to be.

All of this doesn't make anyone a saint, but NBA career or not, I don't want people in the media to tell me who Royce White is.......... I've seen who he is with my own eyes.

Last edited by Balrog; 07-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 705
    Given: 1,217

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    Andy, Jon Sears and AD just had a RW bash session to open the show. Love how butt hurt the media is on this. They said he didn't answer questions, whatever.
    I expect a lot of Andy Fales, because I think he's a really, really, smart guy, and I love him on the radio, but I didn't think he was fair to Royce today. AD and Sears are Hawks, and are not going to give Royce a 2nd chance, but I thought Andy would.

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 705
    Given: 1,217

Royce is going to help players with mental disorders, no matter if he plays in the NBA or not. The next guy who has severe anxiety over flying will have a lot more information at his disposal. He'll be able to decide if he wants to be knocked out with medication in order to make his money. I'm no fan of Royce...he can't shut his face when he needs to...but I think he is helping people.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,181
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    Say what we will with regard to Royces' skill as an interviewee or his lack of skill as a twitter participant........ Royce White changed people's lives in albeit small but heart-warming ways after his session with the media Wednesday night.

I saw Royce White kissing babies, hugging small children, signing autographs, and staging photo ops for anyone who asked. He crossed the gym to sit with an eighty something year old man so his wife could record the event with her flash camera.
    He stood at the head of the line for the better part of an hour and a half to sign basketballs, pictures, backpacks, programs, and well actually anything that was thrust in front of his face. He did all of this with no sign of resentment or lack of interest.

He spoke to anyone and everyone who approached him with that wide grin of his, and the conversations ranged from "let me see that" which was a reference to a tatoo he wanted to scutinize a bit closer, to the recent issuance of a video game a young boy wanted to discuss with Royce. I saw a young boy, five or six years old, dance a little jig with his dad after the youngster saw the picture his father had taken of him and Royce with his cell phone.

These moments will not be lost on these children and I would like to thank Royce White for being the kind of giving person that I aspire to be.

All of this doesn't make anyone a saint, but NBA career or not, I don't want people in the media to tell me who Royce White is.......... I've seen who he is with my own eyes.
    Nothing more to say.

"I'm the one who knocks."