Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 0

Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

People are kidding themselves if they don't expect Iowa to have a good team this year. They have gotten better every year under Fran and they should be improved.

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 30

Re: Iowa Will be Tough

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    The Hawks will be an NCAA team in 2013/14. They started the big 10 season slow, were a bit snakebit- but finished the season strong and made a nice run in the NIT's. They have some quality players in Gessel, Marble and White. Plus they return 3-4 other guys who played a big part in smacking a pretty experienced Cyclone team last year. Last years game wasn't won by the team with the best players, it was won by an Iowa team whose defensive pressure caused ISU to play poorly.

If ISU is going to win, we have to play smarter AND harder.
    Pretty much what I was going to post. The tough part about watching the ISU/Iowa game is that Iowa is going to do everything they can to bring the momentum of that game to a dead halt. With our up tempo offense trying to gel last season I think that had to make it pretty tough on our guys to get into rythem and get things going the way they practiced. Iowa will have a decent team that has experience playing together and Im expecting to be a bubble team come tourney talk next year. They made a good run at the last half of last season but then again they pretty much played the more difficult teams earlier in the season so by the end they had a bunch of lower quality teams left to play so they should have won those games.

If our bigs can stay out of foul trouble I dont see how we shouldn't win. If they do... then I really hope our guards learn to gel quickly and the shots are falling. And of course there is the Hilton factor along with the fact that do you really think that CFH wants to lose to the Hawks 2 years in a row? Obviously no coach wants to lose but Freddy bleeds Cardinal and Gold and Im betting the rivalry will be burning a little hotter this year. Especially after the Squak fans get cocky thinking they are going to walk all over us when game time is approaching. All in all I dont see how we shouldn't win this game. Will be at the Sandbar in Chandler, AZ with my Cylones crew to rub it in to the Squak fans when we pull out the win. It will almost feel as glorious as the football win over the Hawks in Jack Trice when Hawk fans were talking about who they would be playing in the Championship game that year and then were all trying to figure out what happened after they lost. (And sorry for the long post)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78

First, being a 7 footer, we can expect Woodbury to begin a steep improvement curve. Big guys almost always struggle early on, particularly coming from smaller programs, but he has the basic tools and is going to improve significantly from season to season. He isn't going to be dominant as a sophomore, but he will be better and is going to be a factor all season for them, much moreso than last season. Marble is an outright excellent player, as is White. They have their faults, but its silly to argue that they are not great players. They are. Gesell is solid and will be improving. The talent beyond that is a bit unknown though there seems to be some decent youth and solid bench support from guys like Basabe. All in all Iowa seems to be solid NCAA squad, and while we can all dislike them, its pointless to argue against the reality that they have a good coach and a solid team coming to Ames.

But whether we win or lost that game will boil down to how we play, and by that I mean primarily if our two bigs can stay out of early foul trouble. Both Ejim and Niang have shown a tendency to get in trouble early, and Iowa is very good at doing the flop to draw charges...and White is great it attracting petty fouls around the basket when he has the ball. So, Ejim and Niang are going to have to play with discipline in the first half, or we could be in trouble. So its not really Iowa we have to worry about, but how our two feature big guys handle themselves. Ejim and Niang have the ability to control this game if they play well, and I think Kane can whip Gesell at the point which means we can control tempo as well...which means we win this game. But if our bigs get in foul trouble early and we are running with Gibson and Edozie in the middle for large chunks of time, we may be in a lot of trouble. Luckily, we have a great coach who knows this and will plan for it, I just hope Ejim and Niang execute their part of the deal...I'm confident they will, but I will worry early in this game nonetheless.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 495
    Given: 379

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    People are kidding themselves if they don't expect Iowa to have a good team this year. They have gotten better every year under Fran and they should be improved.
    Iowa beat 4 ranked teams in 11-12 and went to the NIT, they went 0-7 against ranked teams in 12-13 and went to the NIT. They were far from impressive last season

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    First, being a 7 footer, we can expect Woodbury to begin a steep improvement curve. Big guys almost always struggle early on, particularly coming from smaller programs, but he has the basic tools and is going to improve significantly from season to season. He isn't going to be dominant as a sophomore, but he will be better and is going to be a factor all season for them, much moreso than last season. Marble is an outright excellent player, as is White. They have their faults, but its silly to argue that they are not great players. They are. Gesell is solid and will be improving. The talent beyond that is a bit unknown though there seems to be some decent youth and solid bench support from guys like Basabe. All in all Iowa seems to be solid NCAA squad, and while we can all dislike them, its pointless to argue against the reality that they have a good coach and a solid team coming to Ames.

But whether we win or lost that game will boil down to how we play, and by that I mean primarily if our two bigs can stay out of early foul trouble. Both Ejim and Niang have shown a tendency to get in trouble early, and Iowa is very good at doing the flop to draw charges...and White is great it attracting petty fouls around the basket when he has the ball. So, Ejim and Niang are going to have to play with discipline in the first half, or we could be in trouble. So its not really Iowa we have to worry about, but how our two feature big guys handle themselves. Ejim and Niang have the ability to control this game if they play well, and I think Kane can whip Gesell at the point which means we can control tempo as well...which means we win this game. But if our bigs get in foul trouble early and we are running with Gibson and Edozie in the middle for large chunks of time, we may be in a lot of trouble. Luckily, we have a great coach who knows this and will plan for it, I just hope Ejim and Niang execute their part of the deal...I'm confident they will, but I will worry early in this game nonetheless.
    You're definition of excellent and mine are very different.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 35

People keep referencing last year like its the end all be all and because Iowa was bad last year they will be bad this year. Will Iowa State be good... probably, will Iowa be good, in my opinion probably. I'm not saying they are final 4 caliber by any means but I think both Iowa and Iowa State will be in the NCAA tournament this year. Both teams have the personell and the capability. What will happen? No one knows, and we all could be completely wrong.

Let's make this Happen!

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    Iowa beat 4 ranked teams in 11-12 and went to the NIT, they went 0-7 against ranked teams in 12-13 and went to the NIT. They were far from impressive last season
    They finished 6th in the Big Ten. That is pretty good. If they would have played a moderately tougher non con they probably would have made the tourney. They played a lot of those ranked teams pretty close. With improvement they should get a couple of those close ones they didn't get last year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They finished 6th in the Big Ten. That is pretty good. If they would have played a moderately tougher non con they probably would have made the tourney. They played a lot of those ranked teams pretty close. With improvement they should get a couple of those close ones they didn't get last year.
    They were the 8th best team in the Big Ten. They didn't beat a ranked team all year, how can you say if they would have played a tougher non con schedule they would have made the tourney when they more than likely would have just lost more games with a tougher schedule? They went 10-10 in conference when you can't the B1G tourney. 7 of those wins were against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. The other 3 were Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois all at home. I'm not saying Iowa sucked last year or will this year but they were not a good team by any means last year, they were mediocre and until they prove me different my opinion is they will be mediocre again this season.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

They were the 8th best team in the Big Ten. They didn't beat a ranked team all year, how can you say if they would have played a tougher non con schedule they would have made the tourney when they more than likely would have just lost more games with a tougher schedule? They went 10-10 in conference when you can't the B1G tourney. 7 of those wins were against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. The other 3 were Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois all at home. I'm not saying Iowa sucked last year or will this year but they were not a good team by any means last year, they were mediocre and until they prove me different my opinion is they will be mediocre again this season.
    Agree completely.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 19

This thread is so full of hating/obsessing on Iowa. We should have a very good team for years to come and really, how we match up with Kansas, Ok State, Kansas State, etc. are a lot more important as we will play them 2-3 times/year. I guess this hit my pet peeve, which is obsession with all things Hawkeye. The other most active thread on this board is the same thing (Cap City vs. Prime Time).

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isu81 View Post
    This thread is so full of hating/obsessing on Iowa. We should have a very good team for years to come and really, how we match up with Kansas, Ok State, Kansas State, etc. are a lot more important as we will play them 2-3 times/year. I guess this hit my pet peeve, which is obsession with all things Hawkeye. The other most active thread on this board is the same thing (Cap City vs. Prime Time).
    It's Iowa @ ISU thread. What are you expecting to find?

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Look, I'm not saying they were great but you can't say they didn't finish 6th. IN the best conference in college basketball. They were slightly above average. I bet money if ISU did the same thing you would say they are going to be good this year. I just think people's hate of Iowa gets in the way of people's thinking.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Look, I'm not saying they were great but you can't say they didn't finish 6th. IN the best conference in college basketball. They were slightly above average. I bet money if ISU did the same thing you would say they are going to be good this year. I just think people's hate of Iowa gets in the way of people's thinking.
    If ISU went to the NIT and got fisted by Baylor by 20 points, I would not say ISU was good. And like cy said above, they only beat the bottom feeders and a couple middle of the road teams at home. They didn't beat any of the "good teams" in the conference.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't say they didn't finish 6th I said they were the 8th best team in the conference. I didn't post anything with hate I posted facts and told you my opinion. Our opinions are different and that's fine.

Legend
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 793
    Given: 657

At worst they'll be slightly improved but they also won't have a #103 SOS and dead last non conf SOS like they did last season, they'll mostly likely have a higher SOS than ISU next year since they play some real teams non conf and don't have the easiest possible Big Ten schedule like they had last year. They were 0-7 against ranked teams and got MAJORLY PUMPED about beating something called a Stony Brook at home, then seemed to be equally pumped to share a court with and be blown out by Baylor. It's bizarro world over there they have been bad for so long.