Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

Iowa Will be Tough

The Hawks will be an NCAA team in 2013/14. They started the big 10 season slow, were a bit snakebit- but finished the season strong and made a nice run in the NIT's. They have some quality players in Gessel, Marble and White. Plus they return 3-4 other guys who played a big part in smacking a pretty experienced Cyclone team last year. Last years game wasn't won by the team with the best players, it was won by an Iowa team whose defensive pressure caused ISU to play poorly.

If ISU is going to win, we have to play smarter AND harder.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 0

Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

Did you watch Iowa play Baylor? They will be a little bit better than last year, but not much. ISU should win this game by 10 (and ISU won't even be fully cooked as a team in December. I wish ISU could play Iowa in March. ISU would destroy them.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    Haha... Did you forget the fact that Fran does things the right way. He is head and shoulders better than Hoiberg.
    Somebody bolt Fran's chair to the floor!
    I'm sure Iowa will take full advantage of that Summer European trip they're taking this year to try and mesh all these great players they supposedly have now. They can try and play big but if ISU can get out and run...it may force Iowa to go smaller.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 737

All we need to do offensively is what we did against Kansas last year. The only reason there is a chance ISU loses this game is because it's early season.

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,180
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 224

Some people that post in these threads should apply for jobs in Iowa's PR department.

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Pretty spot on. I would also add that he gets o the free throw line a ton. Very high basketball IQ, but doesn't have the strength to play with his back to the basket, nor does he have the lateral quickness to play the three. I will say if he can develop a perimeter jump shot, he will be tough to defend- he can take most 4's of the dribble. Should be a good game but I like Iowa's experience, defense, and size to win out in the end.
    Add in the lack of a jump shot from anywhere and you got a lottery pick.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71

We'll be OK as long as nobody pulls a Lucious/Clyburn. Last year 3-18 shooting with 12 turnovers combined.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 90

ISU wins because of one thing

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by ISUTex View Post
    Did you watch Iowa play Baylor? They will be a little bit better than last year, but not much. ISU should win this game by 10 (and ISU won't even be fully cooked as a team in December. I wish ISU could play Iowa in March. ISU would destroy them.

Not that I ever like to say something nice about Iowa I have to disagree with you... Iowa will be much better next year with the addition of Uthoff they will be very competitive. I would put them in the top half of the big10 without breaking a sweat. How they played against Baylor is irrelevant at this point, that season is done and past, and lest we forget that same team that played poorly against Baylor, beat Iowa State last year.

That being said I don't think either team will walk all over the other. Iowa will have a good team, as will Iowa State. What we lose in experience we gain in youth. We will have some great shooters on the team and have a chance to push them and out gun them. That and we will have the home court advantage this year. It's a toss-up in my mind.

Let's make this Happen!

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 970

Since when is experience SO important? Two freshman were on big 12 first team last year including the POY. KU is expected to run the table this year in the conference with freshman. We bring in our best recruiting class since Hoiberg has been here AND will start two seniors and return Niang and people are worried we're going to lose at HILTON to a team that went 0-7 against ranked teams last year and brings in one guy...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,820
    Given: 1,214

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Some people that post in these threads should apply for jobs in Iowa's PR department.
    If ISU football hadn't been to a bowl in 13 years, and Iowa had won a minor bowl two years in a row, I highly doubt any Iowa fans would be talking about how awesome ISU is going to be because our team that didn't go to a bowl was bringing back a lot of starters. Yet that's what a lot of Cyclone fans are doing.

It's not crazy to think they're a bubble team or 7-12 seed, anything beyond that is wild optimism or Big Ten homerism. Hoiberg isn't going to have "rebuilding years" often with the talent he's bringing in, we had one huge question mark at point and a 24 year old point guard who can fill up the stat sheet appears.

Legend
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,820
    Given: 1,214

Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    Since when is experience SO important? Two freshman were on big 12 first team last year including the POY. KU is expected to run the table this year in the conference with freshman. We bring in our best recruiting class since Hoiberg has been here AND will start two seniors and return Niang and people are worried we're going to lose at HILTON to a team that went 0-7 against ranked teams last year and brings in one guy...
    Our best player may have had zero experience two years in a row, definitely Royce and quite possibly Niang. It's a new game with Hoiberg and his talent. Can't blame Iowa fans for not understanding though, they haven't seen that type of talent since the 80s.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,895
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 28

I get all giggly and excited when I remember Georges Niang is only a sophomore this year. SOPHOMORE, you guys!!!

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    Not that I ever like to say something nice about Iowa I have to disagree with you... Iowa will be much better next year with the addition of Uthoff they will be very competitive. I would put them in the top half of the big10 without breaking a sweat. How they played against Baylor is irrelevant at this point, that season is done and past, and lest we forget that same team that played poorly against Baylor, beat Iowa State last year.

That being said I don't think either team will walk all over the other. Iowa will have a good team, as will Iowa State. What we lose in experience we gain in youth. We will have some great shooters on the team and have a chance to push them and out gun them. That and we will have the home court advantage this year. It's a toss-up in my mind.
    So Iowa brings in one top 150 player who hasn't played in 2 years and that will be the difference in an average team that didn't beat any ranked teams to being a good team? Iowa beat ISU at home, who didn't beat ISU when ISU was on the road? ISU will beat Iowa and it wont even be close. I want to see a lot of hawk tears and I am sure I will get my wish when we sweep them in both sports.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    Frankly, I'm a little concerned about the state of CyclONE nation thinking we can only beat the Hawks due to our home court advantage this year. Give it a rest people, Iowa is BAD. They will feature, in large, the same NIT team they had a year ago. You think a year of experience has turned guys like Gessel or Clemons or Woodbury into All-Big 10 athletes? No way! Those 3 hit their ceilings already, much like Iowa seniors Devyn Marble and Melsahn Basabe did. I think a lot of Iowa's potential success comes down to the impact Jok/more so Uthoff, have on the offensive side of the ball. Otherwise, this is the same poor shooting, unathletic team that somehow beat an un-motivated Cyclone squad a year ago. Iowa State is still the better team, even on paper, in my book. Look for a 9-15 point win IMO.
    First, Iowa is not bad in the BIG for this year.

That said, I suspect it will be a lot like the NIT Baylor-Iowa game with a similar result. B12 wins.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.