Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 336
  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 68,525, Level: 81
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,267
    Points
    68,525
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 101

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Marble is just so inconsistant. At the end of the year Marble was playing very good basketball...and Iowa became a very tough team to beat. I'm not convinced Marble will be consistant this year. If he's playing at a high level in Ames it could be a nail biter...with ISU maybe coming out on the sore end. My guess is Marble will be up and down again all year. I just hope we hit him on a down night. If that is the case I like ISU by a fairly comfortable margin. It's just tough to predict this team in the non conference. So many of Fred's teams take a while to get in a grove and it's tough to imagine that changing this year.



  2. #17
    Addict
    Points: 60,872, Level: 76
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    5,091
    Points
    60,872
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 488

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    I'll reiterate some previous posts that I expect Iowa to be good this year. Despite what some of us want to think they have a talented team and Fran is a good coach. It's still a few years out but if Fred and Fran both stick around for a while we will see some top 10 battles in this game in future seasons, IMO.



  3. #18
    Addict
    Points: 129,082, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WhatchaGonnaDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,218
    Points
    129,082
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 222

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    is white really as good as ejim?
    Lolnope



  4. #19
    Addict
    Points: 70,345, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,867
    Points
    70,345
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 429

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I'll reiterate some previous posts that I expect Iowa to be good this year. Despite what some of us want to think they have a talented team and Fran is a good coach. It's still a few years out but if Fred and Fran both stick around for a while we will see some top 10 battles in this game in future seasons, IMO.

    Fern will do well to be in the top ten of the Big Ten.



  5. #20
    Addict
    Points: 60,872, Level: 76
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    5,091
    Points
    60,872
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 488

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Fern will do well to be in the top ten of the Big Ten.
    They were 6th in a strong B1G this year so I guess by your standard for him he's doing really well then.



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 70,345, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,867
    Points
    70,345
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 429

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Smoke and mirrors



  7. #22
    Starter
    Points: 10,592, Level: 31
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    RunDMCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    12 Grimmauld Place
    Posts
    742
    Points
    10,592
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 26

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Marble is just so inconsistant. At the end of the year Marble was playing very good basketball...and Iowa became a very tough team to beat. I'm not convinced Marble will be consistant this year. If he's playing at a high level in Ames it could be a nail biter...with ISU maybe coming out on the sore end. My guess is Marble will be up and down again all year. I just hope we hit him on a down night. If that is the case I like ISU by a fairly comfortable margin. It's just tough to predict this team in the non conference. So many of Fred's teams take a while to get in a grove and it's tough to imagine that changing this year.
    Wasn't he hurt for that stretch where he really struggled last year?



  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 188,837, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,267
    Points
    188,837
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    I don't see how ISU even has a chance to win this game. I mean, according to Scott Dochtermann who covers everything Hawkeye for the CR Gazette over here in eastern Iowa.

    They had Dochtermann on KGYM radio this afternoon, and he said, and I quote.... "Iowa men's basketball just might have the deepest team in the country this year.".

    So, if that's the case, we're in BIG trouble folks.

    Ok, now all silliness aside, I think we might have the edge in talent, but they will have the edge in experience. But we will have the home court advantage, and for some reason I think this year our shots will fall, and we'll win by about 10 points. I hope!



  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 73,710, Level: 84
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,140
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,983
    Points
    73,710
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,514
    Given: 1,849

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    They were 6th in a strong B1G this year so I guess by your standard for him he's doing really well then.
    They were 6th while having the easiest schedule in the conference and the 7th and 8th place teams made the tourney...hard to hang your hat on that



  10. #25
    Pro
    Points: 63,044, Level: 77
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jahfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,857
    Points
    63,044
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 95

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I'll reiterate some previous posts that I expect Iowa to be good this year. Despite what some of us want to think they have a talented team and Fran is a good coach. It's still a few years out but if Fred and Fran both stick around for a while we will see some top 10 battles in this game in future seasons, IMO.
    Fran is a good coach, but he won't be able to recruit the talent required to be in the top 10. I would be concerned if I was a Hawkeye fan. Fran needs to land a big fish that wasn't born a Hawkeye.


    I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 60,872, Level: 76
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    5,091
    Points
    60,872
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 488

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    They were 6th while having the easiest schedule in the conference and the 7th and 8th place teams made the tourney...hard to hang your hat on that
    They were also 2-1 against the teams that finished behind them who made the tourney (Illinois and Minnesota). Back to my original point Fran is a good coach and as long as he stays at Iowa they have the opportunity to be extremely competitive in future seasons.



  12. #27
    Legend
    Points: 182,679, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,049
    Points
    182,679
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 1,024

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I don't see how ISU even has a chance to win this game. I mean, according to Scott Dochtermann who covers everything Hawkeye for the CR Gazette over here in eastern Iowa.

    They had Dochtermann on KGYM radio this afternoon, and he said, and I quote.... "Iowa men's basketball just might have the deepest team in the country this year.".

    So, if that's the case, we're in BIG trouble folks.

    Ok, now all silliness aside, I think we might have the edge in talent, but they will have the edge in experience. But we will have the home court advantage, and for some reason I think this year our shots will fall, and we'll win by about 10 points. I hope!
    There's something deep there, all right. Might need my hip boots...




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  13. #28
    Pro
    Points: 39,855, Level: 61
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,143
    Points
    39,855
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 8

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I don't see how ISU even has a chance to win this game. I mean, according to Scott Dochtermann who covers everything Hawkeye for the CR Gazette over here in eastern Iowa.

    They had Dochtermann on KGYM radio this afternoon, and he said, and I quote.... "Iowa men's basketball just might have the deepest team in the country this year.".

    So, if that's the case, we're in BIG trouble folks.

    Ok, now all silliness aside, I think we might have the edge in talent, but they will have the edge in experience. But we will have the home court advantage, and for some reason I think this year our shots will fall, and we'll win by about 10 points. I hope!
    Deep? Olasani, Basabe and Jok? Iowa may have a good top five and a fringe tourney team, but they are not deep at all.



  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 73,710, Level: 84
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,140
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,983
    Points
    73,710
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,514
    Given: 1,849

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    They were also 2-1 against the teams that finished behind them who made the tourney (Illinois and Minnesota). Back to my original point Fran is a good coach and as long as he stays at Iowa they have the opportunity to be extremely competitive in future seasons.
    I'm not saying Fran isn't a good coach but I disagree with you're point saying they have a talented squad. When you return your whole squad and only two were all conference by the coaches (Marble 3rd team, White honorable mention) it's hard to say that. I think Uthoff is going to be a solid player but nobody outside of Iowa City is expecting much out of Jok...the talent question mark is going to be there until someone drastically improves or Uthoff is a game changer.



  15. #30
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa @ Iowa State

    Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    They were 6th while having the easiest schedule in the conference and the 7th and 8th place teams made the tourney...hard to hang your hat on that
    This. And Iowa will have a even harder schedule next year. Iowa will have a good team next year, but because of the harder schedule they may just make the NIT again next year. Mark my words, if Fran only takes Iowa to the NIT next year he will be on the hot seat.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM