Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 19

SI's Best and Worst CFB Coaches

Stuart Mandel of Sports Illustrated has a list of the 10 best and 5 worst college football coaches.

Half of ISU's schedule will be against coaches on one of these lists (4 best and 2 worst)

Here it is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 7

Re: SI's Best and Worst CFB Coaches

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. The 2009 Orange Bowl proved an aberration in Ferentz's otherwise unimpressive recent tenure. Take away that one 11-2 season and the Hawkeyes are 47-41 since 2005 under their $3.6 million-per-year coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonespiker33 View Post

. The 2009 Orange Bowl proved an aberration in Ferentz's otherwise unimpressive recent tenure. Take away that one 11-2 season and the Hawkeyes are 47-41 since 2005 under their $3.6 million-per-year coach.

Read More: Nick Saban, Urban Meyer top list of best college football coaches - College Football - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

I love it

John Walters is my hero

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 61

Yes, and it's not bleacher report!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 350

Why the hell would Bobby Petrino be on the list of Top coaches? Even when he was at Arkansas he wasn't that fantastic and Western Kentucky will be a project. That's just odd.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 14

LOL @ Kirk. He really is overpaid now for the record he produces. No Iowa fan is worried about him going pro now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 21

Does Briles really belong on that list? One great player is the difference between him still having a job. And it isn't like being located smack dab in the middle of Texas is a recruiting challenge.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Does Briles really belong on that list? One great player is the difference between him still having a job. And it isn't like being located smack dab in the middle of Texas is a recruiting challenge.
    I don't think he's top 10 either. He did a great job of not falling off a cliff after RGIII but I don't think he's top 10.

I think it's funny how much they pump up Petersen and Boise State. Their chief rivals have been TCU and Utah, both of whom left for big boy conferences and have been humbled. BSUs biggest conference rival is now Nevada? Fresno State?

Yes Boise State is a good team and Petersen has developed some talent. But their conferences have been just horrible overall. If BSU was doing this against the PAC12 then you could call Petersen the best coach ever.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    I am a fan of Briles. While Baylor has had some success in its past, they have only had three seasons in B12 existence where they finished above .500 - all coached by Briles. And I am pretty sure they have always been located in the middle of Texas so something is different.

By the way, he didn't have RG3 this year and still went 8-5.

Addict
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I don't think he's top 10 either. He did a great job of not falling off a cliff after RGIII but I don't think he's top 10.

I think it's funny how much they pump up Petersen and Boise State. Their chief rivals have been TCU and Utah, both of whom left for big boy conferences and have been humbled. BSUs biggest conference rival is now Nevada? Fresno State?

Yes Boise State is a good team and Petersen has developed some talent. But their conferences have been just horrible overall. If BSU was doing this against the PAC12 then you could call Petersen the best coach ever.
    Agree with this as long as we acknowledge the ACC and Big East also haven't been any better than the MWC/BSU lately. BSU and the top of the MWC have been significantly more dangerous than the top of the ACC lately, and we know the bottom of that league is nothing like the bottom of the Big 12.

There were six AQ BCS conferences but there was clear separation after the top four. The MWC will likely be superior to the new American Athletic and we'll have to see if the ACC is ever decent again.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 25

Can we get this thread back on topic...making fun of captain Kirk?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

lol at all the Iowa fans comments that basically say "We hate Ferrentz too but how dare you put him in the bottom five."

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 87

As much as I like Briles, I might agree with this. Top 10 seems high. Who replaces him?

Just missed: Notre Dame's Brian Kelly, South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Louisville's Charlie Strong, Georgia's Mark Richt, Arkansas' Bret Bielema
    Five coaches who could be on this list in three years: Michigan's Brady Hoke, Stanford's David Shaw, Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, Miami's Al Golden

Brian Kelly would be a better choice, in my opinion. I think he is a great coach. He has built a winner everywhere he has been. I like Charlie Strong but you gotta' do it against big boys. Other than those, I think I would put Briles ahead of the others mentioned. At least for right now.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Agree with this as long as we acknowledge the ACC and Big East also haven't been any better than the MWC/BSU lately. BSU and the top of the MWC have been significantly more dangerous than the top of the ACC lately, and we know the bottom of that league is nothing like the bottom of the Big 12.

There were six AQ BCS conferences but there was clear separation after the top four. The MWC will likely be superior to the new American Athletic and we'll have to see if the ACC is ever decent again.
    I dunno, I would say Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech are a much better top end than Boise, Fresno State, and Nevada. The ACC is not as good top to bottom as the best conferences, but I still think it will be better than the MWC and way better than the WAC has ever been which is where most of BSUs wins came from.

The Big East fell fast, but in the past few years Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia, even Rutgers and Pitt have all had some good years and are better programs than most in the MWC. Of course those schools are all gone now. Still, during Boise's run the Big East has had quite a few schools that could have taken them on and been better competition week to week than Idaho and San Jose State.

I still hold that until Boise proves themselves in a big boy conference that they just aren't as good as they are made out to be. If you only have to bring your A game a few times a year it's a lot easier than having to worry about the 6th place team in your conference putting it on you when you travel to their stadium.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dunno, I would say Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech are a much better top end than Boise, Fresno State, and Nevada. The ACC is not as good top to bottom as the best conferences, but I still think it will be better than the MWC and way better than the WAC has ever been which is where most of BSUs wins came from.

The Big East fell fast, but in the past few years Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia, even Rutgers and Pitt have all had some good years and are better programs than most in the MWC. Of course those schools are all gone now. Still, during Boise's run the Big East has had quite a few schools that could have taken them on and been better competition week to week than Idaho and San Jose State.

I still hold that until Boise proves themselves in a big boy conference that they just aren't as good as they are made out to be. If you only have to bring your A game a few times a year it's a lot easier than having to worry about the 6th place team in your conference putting it on you when you travel to their stadium.
    I meant over the past few years. BSU wasn't in the MWC but they were as good or better than the best ACC team. TCU, Utah, BYU and Nevada were regularly as good or better than the top ACC teams, not every year, but plenty of years. Going forward with BSU in the league now it wouldn't surprise me if the top MWC teams continue to be on par with the top ACC teams unless FSU/VaTech have a dual resurgence, and they'll most likely be superior to American Athletic. A few of BSU, TCU and Utah's teams ended up with SOS exactly like a Big East or ACC team...but the media has an aversion to math so they ignored it and focused on AQ vs non AQ.