Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Re: CCL/PTL comparison

Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Fran has shown zero ability to develop talent, I have no concern in regards to Iowa MBB.
    That is why her sent two players to try out for the World Games so that they could develop.

Any updates for Melvin?

Last edited by Wesley; 07-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 888
    Given: 624

Quote Originally Posted by Cincyclone View Post
    Devyn Marble?
    Marble 11-12 43% FG 39% 3PT FG
    Marble 12-13 40% FG 32% 3PT FG

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 265

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    What rules?

All I can find is a rule that limits D1 players to a single league. I haven't found anything that limits the number of D1 teams with players in a league.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...83ffc110a6426c
    I'm guessing a championship game would violate the All Star game rule. But you definitely can't charge any admission at summer league games, even if it all gets donated.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    Marble 11-12 43% FG 39% 3PT FG
    Marble 12-13 40% FG 32% 3PT FG
    Cherry-picking two stats doesn't prove your point. Any unbiased person who's watched Marble at all during his career at Iowa would say he's improved a lot since arriving on campus.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Cherry-picking two stats doesn't prove your point. Any unbiased person who's watched Marble at all during his career at Iowa would say he's improved a lot since arriving on campus.
    Or he's just shot a lot more...I would say he got better from his freshman to sophomore season but there was no improvement from sophomore to junior season. You can use the excuse to say he was hurt but if he was hurt he shouldn't have been playing at all. Maybe it had something to do that all his bad games were against teams with good guards. The Big 12 competition he played against shut him down and he was "healthy" for those games.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 561

Stating that Iowa players don't improve just invalidates any future arguments. Of course they have improved. Oglesby would be the exception. How much they have improved and how much they are actually able to improve can be debated.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Stating that Iowa players don't improve just invalidates any future arguments. Of course they have improved. Oglesby would be the exception. How much they have improved and how much they are actually able to improve can be debated.
    I think you can argue White, Ogelsby, Basabe, McCabe haven't really improved from when they came on campus. Pretty hard to say they haven't at all but it's also pretty hard to expect them all to improve enough this off season to beat a ranked team or get to the tourney which they couldn't do last year. If Uthoff is the real deal they could be a good team but otherwise what you see with the players last year is what you get

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Or he's just shot a lot more...I would say he got better from his freshman to sophomore season but there was no improvement from sophomore to junior season. You can use the excuse to say he was hurt but if he was hurt he shouldn't have been playing at all. Maybe it had something to do that all his bad games were against teams with good guards. The Big 12 competition he played against shut him down and he was "healthy" for those games.
    Wow...just wow. You don't think players don't play through nagging injuries? And he did miss time because of it. You want your best player on the floor as much as possible and Devyn Marble at 75% is a hell of a lot better than Josh Oglesby. Even though you clearly are blinded by your hatred for Iowa and can't be objective here, I'll wing it.

Marble's points average increased from 5.7 his freshman year, to 11.5 his sophomore year, to 15.0 his senior year. That's a nice, linear progression if I've ever seen one. His shooting percentages decreased because, as you said, he shot more. I don't think that's necessarily a black mark against him though. He was drawing the other teams' best defenders all last year so you would expect some drop in field goal percentage, and his drop wasn't even very significant - 2.7%. He also shot 94 more 3 pointers last season than his sophomore season. Free throw shooting numbers have gone from 53% his freshman year, to 73% his sophomore year, to 81% his junior year.

Bottom line, if this was an ISU player we were talking about with these stats, everyone on here would be talking about how much he improved over the course of his career. Try to set aside your hate and be objective for once.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow...just wow. You don't think players don't play through nagging injuries? And he did miss time because of it. You want your best player on the floor as much as possible and Devyn Marble at 75% is a hell of a lot better than Josh Oglesby. Even though you clearly are blinded by your hatred for Iowa and can't be objective here, I'll wing it.

Marble's points average increased from 5.7 his freshman year, to 11.5 his sophomore year, to 15.0 his senior year. That's a nice, linear progression if I've ever seen one. His shooting percentages decreased because, as you said, he shot more. I don't think that's necessarily a black mark against him though. He was drawing the other teams' best defenders all last year so you would expect some drop in field goal percentage, and his drop wasn't even very significant - 2.7%. He also shot 94 more 3 pointers last season than his sophomore season. Free throw shooting numbers have gone from 53% his freshman year, to 73% his sophomore year, to 81% his junior year.

Bottom line, if this was an ISU player we were talking about with these stats, everyone on here would be talking about how much he improved over the course of his career. Try to set aside your hate and be objective for once.
    Or I just think he's a player that can be great against bad teams and disappear against good teams. I don't think he improved from his sophomore to junior year but that's just my opinion.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think you can argue White, Ogelsby, Basabe, McCabe haven't really improved from when they came on campus. Pretty hard to say they haven't at all but it's also pretty hard to expect them all to improve enough this off season to beat a ranked team or get to the tourney which they couldn't do last year. If Uthoff is the real deal they could be a good team but otherwise what you see with the players last year is what you get
    This is the typical "home fan" syndrome. Any fan of a specific sports team has it. We mostly overestimate the players on our own team and how they will improve and underestimate those on other teams. To think Iowa is just going to stay the same because they have mostly the same players is laughable. They, like us have a very young backcourt. We expect guys like SDW and Naz Long to take these great leaps, but then think that Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons are just gonna stay the same all throughout their careers.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Or I just think he's a player that can be great against bad teams and disappear against good teams. I don't think he improved from his sophomore to junior year but that's just my opinion.
    When presented with facts and stats, just put your fingers in your ears and say "lalalala can't hear you".

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

If it makes you feel any better I would bet the farm on us losing at Oklahoma in football this year...I'm not trying to be a homer but Iowa hasn't won in Hilton in over a decade
    If I were betting, I'd put my money on ISU winning at home. But I won't be betting on this game. It's going to go down to the wire, IMO.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When presented with facts and stats, just put your fingers in your ears and say "lalalala can't hear you".
    His shooting percentages went down from his sophomore season to junior season. He also averaged less assists and more turnovers. How is that not facts or stats?

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonespiker33 View Post
    Okay, honest question here:

How does the PTL compare to the CCL? I quickly looked over the box scores for the PTL and was less than impressed. Iowa players rarely break 30 points and it seems like nobody is particularly dominating. It seems from my perspective that over half of the ISU players have better stat lines in the CCL than the best Iowa player in the PTL. Are the game lengths different? I'm just looking for more information.
    It's been often discussed on this board how stats in the CCL don't equate to reg. season. Don't know why Iowa players stats would be any different, regardless of how high or low. Besides, they may (and I said 'may') have more quality players in the PTL overall to spread the wealth(stats) , too. What always amazes me is how far behind incoming JUCO's are on defense when they come in. Swiping, reaching, instead of staying in front of their man. Ugh.

Recruit
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 15

How dare you bring statistics into a message board conversation?

It should be a great game and has potential for each team to be ranked in the top 25. Could Iowa win? Yes, anyone can beat anyone anytime. It's too early to tell what will happen this December. Heck, most of us won't have an idea until the week leading up to the game (and even if Iowa shows promise, there will still be those to downplay it).