Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 127

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 123,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclonespiker33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,171
    Points
    123,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,832
    Given: 449

    CCL/PTL comparison

    Okay, honest question here:

    How does the PTL compare to the CCL? I quickly looked over the box scores for the PTL and was less than impressed. Iowa players rarely break 30 points and it seems like nobody is particularly dominating. It seems from my perspective that over half of the ISU players have better stat lines in the CCL than the best Iowa player in the PTL. Are the game lengths different? I'm just looking for more information.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 108,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    13,041
    Points
    108,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,241
    Given: 3,489

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonespiker33 View Post
    Okay, honest question here:

    How does the PTL compare to the CCL? I quickly looked over the box scores for the PTL and was less than impressed. Iowa players rarely break 30 points and it seems like nobody is particularly dominating. It seems from my perspective that over half of the ISU players have better stat lines in the CCL than the best Iowa player in the PTL. Are the game lengths different? I'm just looking for more information.
    ISU players have talent and Iowa players don't



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 212,181, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    13,743
    Points
    212,181
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,437
    Given: 746

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    ISU players have talent and Iowa players don't
    Boom!
    /Thread



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 459,949, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    69,985
    Points
    459,949
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,218
    Given: 1,967

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    ISU players can shoot and Iowa players take up space.
    FIFY.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Hallice, Deonte, Abdel, Monte, Matt, Jordan, and again McKay.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 117,286, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,902
    Points
    117,286
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 393

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Based on the players (or lack of) involved, I'd have to say they're roughly equal (although I don't know what that means). I don't know why scoring is different - other than just the philosophy of the programs they play for.

    I was dreaming the other day about how to make a more competitive summer league. I think it would be cool to have Drake, ISU, UNI, and Iowa players all in one league - games played in Marshalltown (probably the most central location with a decent gym and parking), and maybe it could even include some MCC JuCos, etc. I know it's just a dream, but it would be double the competition level of either the CCL or PTL.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 43,428, Level: 64
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cincyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,986
    Points
    43,428
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 636

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    Based on the players (or lack of) involved, I'd have to say they're roughly equal (although I don't know what that means). I don't know why scoring is different - other than just the philosophy of the programs they play for.

    I was dreaming the other day about how to make a more competitive summer league. I think it would be cool to have Drake, ISU, UNI, and Iowa players all in one league - games played in Marshalltown (probably the most central location with a decent gym and parking), and maybe it could even include some MCC JuCos, etc. I know it's just a dream, but it would be double the competition level of either the CCL or PTL.
    I'm pretty sure there are strict NCAA rules for summer leagues that state that more than two division 1 schools can't compete in the same one.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 117,286, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,902
    Points
    117,286
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 393

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Cincyclone View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are strict NCAA rules for summer leagues that state that more than two division 1 schools can't compete in the same one.
    Wow. Serious?! What would be the point of that rule? To keep kids from playing similar competition and improving?



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 43,428, Level: 64
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cincyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,986
    Points
    43,428
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 636

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    Wow. Serious?! What would be the point of that rule? To keep kids from playing similar competition and improving?
    Since the league must be located within 100 air miles of the student athlete's school, it would be a competitive disadvantage for schools that are more isolated. At least that's my understanding.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 130,966, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8,310
    Points
    130,966
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,097
    Given: 290

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    The PTL claims that there is defense played. I've never watched a game, so I have no idea.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 108,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    13,041
    Points
    108,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,241
    Given: 3,489

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    The PTL claims that there is defense played. I've never watched a game, so I have no idea.
    I've seen many PTL games and that is not the case.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,362, Level: 63
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,881
    Points
    42,362
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,245
    Given: 1,255

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    The PTL claims that there is defense played. I've never watched a game, so I have no idea.
    Iowa fan will claim this is the reason why the scoring is different, but I've seen PTL games and there isn't much difference at all. Summer league d is the same every summer for every league I've seen.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 116,962, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,335
    Points
    116,962
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,704
    Given: 274

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    I could care less but I really hope we beat them this year. I would hate to see them rattle off 3 in a row versus us, which could happen if we lose at home this year.

    I think we'll be fine next season but may not have gelled by early Dec.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 108,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    13,041
    Points
    108,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,241
    Given: 3,489

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I could care less but I really hope we beat them this year. I would hate to see them rattle off 3 in a row versus us, which could happen if we lose at home this year.

    I think we'll be fine next season but may not have gelled by early Dec.
    So we automatically are going to lose in 2014? Hmmmmm



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 22,251, Level: 45
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Nuts4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    730
    Points
    22,251
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 284

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    The PTL has good UNI players while the CCL has very poor Drake players. Big difference in competition.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,362, Level: 63
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,881
    Points
    42,362
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,245
    Given: 1,255

    Re: CCL/PTL comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Cy View Post
    The PTL has good UNI players while the CCL has very poor Drake players. Big difference in competition.
    This is a real thing?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Texas
  • February 13, 2016
  • 07:30 PM