Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 183

Re: This never happens in baseball....

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    How would a soccer match that ended 12-10 be entertaining? I mean maybe once because it would be so ******* weird, but games are exciting because scoring is difficult, it's what makes people go nuts for every goal because you know you have to work so hard for each.
    Work hard? Like someone else said in the thread, 5 or 6 people are actually moving while the other 16-17 players are strategically placing themselves in places to either A) get the ball and hope they can get closer to the goal or B) turn the ball over.

IMO, it's like chess.

Except I would actually watch chess on ESPN.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 273

Quote Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
    If you like hockey you may well like soccer too. A coworker that had kids playing hockey claimed their understanding of the game flow translated really well to soccer. Both sports have constant movement and depend on players away from the ball/puck to move. Both have rules to limit long passes, icing and off sides.

One difference is the contact level. You can't check someone into the wall in soccer or have a mid game fight. If that's the part of hockey you like soccer may be a little too civilized.
    Another difference is the speed. Hockey is played a much faster speed on a much smaller area, making it so much more entertaining than soccer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 632

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Someone said Rulzzz is the reason there are Tavern Hawks

That comment might have hurt cubsy if it came from someone with a quality posting history but given it's from someone with under 100 posts I just shrug it off.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

How would a soccer match that ended 12-10 be entertaining? I mean maybe once because it would be so ******* weird, but games are exciting because scoring is difficult, it's what makes people go nuts for every goal because you know you have to work so hard for each.
    I've always loved the soccer is boring because it's too low scoring argument. Saying that soccer would only be interesting if the score was 12-10 is like saying football would only be interesting if the score was 84 to 70. If only soccer officials realized that they can arbitrarily award multiple points for every goal too!!!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 126

arsenal game where they were down 4-0 against Reading and got saved by Chamakh ;)

Fred's Fanatics- Member
    Fans of Fred Hoiberg and the 2013-2014 Iowa State Cyclones. Copy and Paste to Join.

Denver Broncos fan: 13-3 Super Bowl Losers :(
    Arsenal Fan: 4th place
    Iowa St: 28-8 Big 12 Tourney Champs!!!! Sweet 16

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2

Hmm a cubs fan losing interest in baseball...I think that is a cubs problem, but 10 games below .500 is probably enough to lose a few of the t-shirt fans.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Work hard? Like someone else said in the thread, 5 or 6 people are actually moving while the other 16-17 players are strategically placing themselves in places to either A) get the ball and hope they can get closer to the goal or B) turn the ball over.

IMO, it's like chess.

Except I would actually watch chess on ESPN.
    isn't this the same as baseball?

Fred's Fanatics- Member
    Fans of Fred Hoiberg and the 2013-2014 Iowa State Cyclones. Copy and Paste to Join.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 68

shoot, I hardly consider it a major US sport now.

I don't see it EVER not being a top 3 sport in the US. I think it's comparable to the NBA in terms of viewers (no, I haven't done my studying)

However, I believe baseball would be much more relevant today if the Cubs/Yankees/Mets/Phillies/Dodgers/Giants were "better," as all those teams but the Yankees having losing records (but the Yankees...but they are in 4th place in their division)

As a result of that, 6 of the 10 most valuable teams in baseball, according to Forbes, aren't attracting their fans, which make up the majority of the MLB fan base.

As a Cubs fan, I haven't paid much attention this year, I'm sure Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, and Giants fans are the same. I only pay attention to important transactions, really.

I think as soon as the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, and Phillies start taking over baseball again, the sport will become as relevant as it was in the late 1990's. A sport thrives on it's franchises, and unfortunately, the best franchises are crap this year.

It's like the Bills, Browns, Jaguars, Chiefs, and Bucanners leading the NFL - it would definitely hurt the NFL's marketability, which is exactly what's happening to the MLB today.

In my opinion, a lot of it is marketability. NBA was nothing between the Jordan-James era. MLB is nothing between the "rebuilding" era.

As I finish this rant, soccer has no marketability and #soccersucks
    I agree with this. The Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, Tigers and Giants are the backbone of baseball. Right now, only half of those teams are good.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

lol, that's why baseball is in a decline. ok.

according to forbes, most valuable teams

1) Knicks- 2nd round, exceeded, as a franchise lately been in the dumps
    2) Lakers- struggled, Kobe got hurt, swept by spurs, has had success a couple years ago but struggled past 2 years.
    3) Bulls- injuries, 2nd round exit,
    4) Celtics- getting old, got a title and had a conference finals appearance ago. 1st round
    5) Mavericks- didn't even make playoffs
    6) Heat- champs of past 2 years
    7) Rockets- bottom playoff team/no playoffs recently
    8) Golden St.-besides this year, has been towards the bottom
    9) Brooklyn- new franchise- 1st round exit
    10) Spurs- good franchise, no complaints

if the NFL had the Browns, Jaguars, and etc., I doubt the NFL would take a big hit at all.

about Half the teams on my NBA list have had little success, yet the league is still popular. The MLB has it's stars, the problem is they don't market them very well. Trout, Cabrera, Harper, Cano, etc., plenty of good-star players in the MLB.

if the MLB would cut it's games to around 100 instead of 162 that would help make the regular season matter besides the last week of the season. Drags way too long.

Don't forget the steroids in baseball the last decade, that's crippled the league more than anything else.

Last edited by IHavNoCyCash; 07-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Fred's Fanatics- Member

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 632

I should add here that to be honest I hate baseball too. Basketball and American football are all the sports I need.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

See, I like both baseball and soccer. My interest in the NBA and NFL have declined massively in recent years, but I still love college hoops and college football. Oh, and just to be a wanker....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throwball-football-tshirt.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	20672

Last edited by shagcarpetjesus; 07-08-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    I should add here that to be honest I hate baseball too. Basketball and American football are all the sports I need.
    Ha, you said American Football.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    lol, that's why baseball is in a decline. ok.

according to forbes, most valuable teams

1) Knicks- 2nd round, exceeded, as a franchise lately been in the dumps
    2) Lakers- struggled, Kobe got hurt, swept by spurs, has had success a couple years ago but struggled past 2 years.
    3) Bulls- injuries, 2nd round exit,
    4) Celtics- getting old, got a title and had a conference finals appearance ago. 1st round
    5) Mavericks- didn't even make playoffs
    6) Heat- champs of past 2 years
    7) Rockets- bottom playoff team/no playoffs recently
    8) Golden St.-besides this year, has been towards the bottom
    9) Brooklyn- new franchise- 1st round exit
    10) Spurs- good franchise, no complaints

if the NFL had the Browns, Jaguars, and etc., I doubt the NFL would take a big hit at all.

about Half the teams on my NBA list have had little success, yet the league is still popular. The MLB has it's stars, the problem is they don't market them very well. Trout, Cabrera, Harper, Cano, etc., plenty of good-star players in the MLB.

if the MLB would cut it's games to around 100 instead of 162 that would help make the regular season matter besides the last week of the season. Drags way too long.
    Of those teams, only Houston and GS seemingly don't belong.

Most of those teams have had a lot of success over the years, are some of the "blue blood" franchises, or both.

Also, being the most valuable within your sport doesn't mean you're more valuable than a team from another sport. The most valuable teams in baseball are dominated by the franchises I listed. But it's not all about value in this discussion. Baseball would be more relevant if all or most of those teams were good. The NBA has seen the majority of its key franchises excel in the past few years. The NFL has seen it too, with San Francisco, Green Bay, New York Football Giants, Chicago and Pittsburgh all having played for or won Super Bowls in the past seven years (if you exclude the Bears, that time frame gets cut to the past three seasons).

Of the main franchises in the NFL, there are only three that haven't carried their weight lately: Oakland (still a mess), Dallas (blah), and Washington (rising fast with RGIII).

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think soccer should adopt an alternate scoring method to attract the 'Mericun fan who only likes big, shiny numbers. All goals are now worth 7 points and all corner kicks that don't result in a goal will be rewarded 3 points. See, we can reward our teams for "coming close" to scoring by giving them partial credit too! Shoot, even the NFL allows players who only kick the ball (GASP!) to score points for their team.

Given this new scoring method, the US friendly against Guatemala on Friday night would have finished with a 60-3 score. U-S-A! U-S-A!

The Mexico-Panama Gold Cup match tonight which ended in a 2-1 Panama victory would have been a 34-14 Mexico win with the new American scoring system on the strength of Mexico's 9 corner kicks.

You want big numbers? Boom! Scoring just went through the mother f'n roof!

Last edited by shagcarpetjesus; 07-08-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 183

I guess it's an opinion thing for NBA. I will admit, I watched the Heat in the finals. I could tell you who they played. I know Golden State made the playoffs because of HB, but if he werent on the team, I would have no clue.

I think big NBA fans know who made the playoffs this year, but you ask mediocre fans, like me, it's a "eh" type thing.

I wouldn't say the NBA playoffs were "huge" this year. Up until the finals, the only story lines were "Lebron James" and "will Derrick Rose play?" If Derrick Rose were playing, and say the Pacers went on to beat the Heat and make the finals, the finals would not have had many watchers, and thats a fact.

Right now, there is no one in baseball but Puig and Trout to really bring marketability to the league. The unfortunate thing is they are both west coast, while the market is not. Notice how the market feasts on Strasburg and Harper, and they haven't been as great as Puig and Trout.

All I'm saying is that the reason the NBA finals had success this year wasn't teams, it was all Lebron James and Derrick Rose. An NBA fan can disagree with me all they want, but anyone who watches the NBA but isn't diehard will tell you, the finals wouldn't have had as much viewers had LBJ not been there.

Marketability.

As for soccer, we bring in that England dude and more girls know his name than guys...talking about Beckam

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.