Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: Naz Long

  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 5,247, Level: 21
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rural U.S.A.
    Posts
    199
    Points
    5,247
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

    Naz Long

    I was reading a thread about Naz Long's role this upcoming season. I didn't really know much about him, other than watching him a little on TV last season, and from what I've seen in the CCL. I think he's going to be a heck of a player at ISU before it's all said and done. I didn't realize he was the PG on an AAU team that included Wiggins (SP?), the KU recruit, and Bennett (#1 pick in the draft). According to the youtube video about this, he was the floor leader. Wow.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    I think Naz will be good as well. He was pretty highly recruited.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 24,442, Level: 47
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    F5cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    921
    Points
    24,442
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 13

    Re: Naz Long

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUTex View Post
    I was reading a thread about Naz Long's role this upcoming season. I didn't really know much about him, other than watching him a little on TV last season, and from what I've seen in the CCL. I think he's going to be a heck of a player at ISU before it's all said and done. I didn't realize he was the PG on an AAU team that included Wiggins (SP?), the KU recruit, and Bennett (#1 pick in the draft). According to the youtube video about this, he was the floor leader. Wow.
    He went to Findlay Prep - his class included Myck Kabongo. Bennett was in the class of '12. Lots of talent there - they have something like a 170-10 record in the past 5 years or something ridiculous like that. Their head coach for the past few years was just hired by UNLV as an assistant.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,099, Level: 78
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,474
    Points
    64,099
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    Naz is going to play a lot... I thought he'd play just because he should be one of if not the best defender now that Babb is gone... But he's really showing a lot of ability on offense too.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 404,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,365
    Points
    404,765
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 60

    Re: Naz Long

    Yeah, I have been critical of him but we are just so deep at guard it's hard to tell who will get the minutes this year.


    Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

    If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 24,400, Level: 47
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    DeNver, IA
    Posts
    1,354
    Points
    24,400
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    I hope he's good but I didn't see anything special last year. I recognize he had limited minutes and therefore lacked the opportunity to really settle into the team. I also realize that he may have been playing a certain role and not given the latitude to play like Kory for example.

    If he had redshirted last year I would be drinking the juice right now. But given his minutes last year where I felt he looked uncomfortable and out of place at times I'm only cautiously optimistic.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 32,237, Level: 55
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,861
    Points
    32,237
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    Put me in the camp of I don't think he will play that much. I was VERY impressed with him in the CCL last year. However, actually watching him play in a couple of D-1 games last year, he did not look so good. Maybe he just needs minutes out there to get comfortable, but so far he has looked good out there. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can up the ante and look like a legit Big 12 guard out there this year.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 15,896, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclone1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    877
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 29

    Re: Naz Long

    Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    I hope he's good but I didn't see anything special last year. I recognize he had limited minutes and therefore lacked the opportunity to really settle into the team. I also realize that he may have been playing a certain role and not given the latitude to play like Kory for example.

    If he had redshirted last year I would be drinking the juice right now. But given his minutes last year where I felt he looked uncomfortable and out of place at times I'm only cautiously optimistic.
    This sums it up for me as well. I really hope the light turns on this year. Not everyone walks into D1 and can play right away.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,734, Level: 95
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,472
    Points
    94,734
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 6

    Re: Naz Long

    The one thing that I wish more people would realize is that not every freshman that struggles is a bust and will never get any better.

    If they didn't push Naz out last year, I suspect that they think he'll be good enough to have an impact at some point in his career.

    I suspect that there will be plenty of games this year that he gets more minutes than SDW.....that should make a certain number of you mad.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 71,046, Level: 82
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,951
    Points
    71,046
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    i wonder if naz would've gotten a redshirt if bubu had stayed out of trouble?



  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,216, Level: 31
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_Clone_28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    335
    Points
    11,216
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

    Re: Naz Long

    I hope he comes in and is another big lift for us off the bench. Could always use even more depth. Being in AZ I only had limited views of him when he was in the game on a game I could get but from what I had seemed I thought it looked like he was just trying to hard and never settled. If someone has high expectations of themselves or others hype them up at all, its going to put that much more pressure on them come time when they get their time to show what they can do in live game situations. I'm pretty excited for this next years team to surprise a few...especially after a couple of my Hawkeye friends fully drank the punch after seeing Vegas give the Hawks 50-1 odds to win it all... They were fully expecting to blow out the Cyclones, win the BIG and make a deep run into the tourney. Would love for them to sit there and say... "Who the heck is this guy" as they are lighting it up off the bench.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 249,684, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,402
    Points
    249,684
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    My question with naz will always be in regard to his ball handling and driving ability. I think he'll be better off the ball in a babb catch and shoot, defend role.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 39,920, Level: 61
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,772
    Points
    39,920
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    The only games last year where he got meaningful minutes were games against very bad competition and he did good. Seeing 1-2 minutes at the end of a game isn't going to tell you much about what a player can do so I don't really know why people are so critical of him. The luxury we now have is that bc we are a good team we don't have to play guys like Long for big minutes as a freshman which is good bc most freshman aren't ready to be big contributors. I think some people have ridiculous expectations of these kids. I remember when he signed people were talking like he was going to come in and start.
    He will be a good player for ISU when all is said and done but give the guy time to develop for Pete's sake. If SDW saw minutes last year people would be down on him too. Look at the exhibition game last year. Long was better.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 404,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,365
    Points
    404,765
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 60

    Re: Naz Long

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    The one thing that I wish more people would realize is that not every freshman that struggles is a bust and will never get any better.

    If they didn't push Naz out last year, I suspect that they think he'll be good enough to have an impact at some point in his career.

    I suspect that there will be plenty of games this year that he gets more minutes than SDW.....that should make a certain number of you mad.
    I just want the best team on the floor. I could care less if Ejim sits as long as the best players are in the game. If Naz plays in front of SDW, so be it, good for him and probably good for the team.


    Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

    If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 19,622, Level: 42
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    312
    Points
    19,622
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Naz Long

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    The only games last year where he got meaningful minutes were games against very bad competition and he did good. Seeing 1-2 minutes at the end of a game isn't going to tell you much about what a player can do so I don't really know why people are so critical of him. The luxury we now have is that bc we are a good team we don't have to play guys like Long for big minutes as a freshman which is good bc most freshman aren't ready to be big contributors. I think some people have ridiculous expectations of these kids. I remember when he signed people were talking like he was going to come in and start.
    He will be a good player for ISU when all is said and done but give the guy time to develop for Pete's sake. If SDW saw minutes last year people would be down on him too. Look at the exhibition game last year. Long was better.
    --------With all due respect, Naz couldnt even dribble the ball past half court last year without it getting picked or him losing control. He was absolutely NOT ready last year. I too hope hes much better this year. If he can handle the ball, he will be just fine and a regular contributor. Just my 2 cents.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I always carry a No. 2 pencil in my pocket in case mother******* wanna test me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM