Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 792,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,204
    Points
    792,921
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 811
    Given: 209

    Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 61,081, Level: 76
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigLame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western IA
    Posts
    2,686
    Points
    61,081
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 153

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    If he can get the Cyclones into some sort of alternate uniforms, then he will already be IMMORTAL!

    Couldn't help carry-over from the other Summertime football thread.

    Heck yes he's the most important recruit ever. Dude's been promoting ISU like no other, and his positive attitude is contagious. Sounds like a certain coach we have.


    Section110 on 9/12/14: Iowa 35 ISU 17
    The subpar defense from the Cyclones gives the Hawks a chance to finally start to get their confidence rolling on offense. Both running the football and through the air.
    *Breakout player prediction.... Everyone is going to have their eyes on Allen Lazard because of his hype coming out of H.S., but Derrick Willies steals the show.

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 9,876, Level: 29
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    380
    Points
    9,876
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Didn't need to read it. Answer is yes. I did read it though.


    I'm kind of a big deal!

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,308, Level: 66
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 642
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,642
    Points
    46,308
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 179

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Great piece CW! You mentioned there might be some more Tommy Mister's in this class. Besides Jeff Jones anybody specific?



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    This is putting the cart before the horse here CW.

    Are we all excited? Abso-freaking-lutely. Its awesome to see ISU on a top recruits "Committed To" line. And I do agree that he is making other recruits take notice of Iowa State and in some situations he is probably the difference maker for guys like Mister making the choice.

    But what happens if things dont go quite as well as we all hope? What if he isnt the dominant force that we think he is?

    Im not saying that I doubt his abilities, no Im just saying that too many times as a Cyclone fan have I been kicked in the sack and I try not to count my chickens before they hatch.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 255,806, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,645
    Points
    255,806
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 535
    Given: 485

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    I'm calling jinx story right now.

    jimlad...kinda



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 107,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,312
    Points
    107,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    This is putting the cart before the horse here CW.

    Are we all excited? Abso-freaking-lutely. Its awesome to see ISU on a top recruits "Committed To" line. And I do agree that he is making other recruits take notice of Iowa State and in some situations he is probably the difference maker for guys like Mister making the choice.

    But what happens if things dont go quite as well as we all hope? What if he isnt the dominant force that we think he is?

    Im not saying that I doubt his abilities, no Im just saying that too many times as a Cyclone fan have I been kicked in the sack and I try not to count my chickens before they hatch.
    Blake Larsen was a tremendous bust for Iowa, but his commitment still sent a shot across the bows of the rest of the Big Ten and jump started Iowa's resurgence in the early part of the decade.

    Whether Lazard pans out on the field or not, he is still likely the most important recruit in ISU history thus far.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Blake Larsen was a tremendous bust for Iowa, but his commitment still sent a shot across the bows of the rest of the Big Ten and jump started Iowa's resurgence in the early part of the decade.

    Whether Lazard pans out on the field or not, he is still likely the most important recruit in ISU history thus far.

    Serious question: Would you consider Blake Larsen the most important recruit ever (or even at that time) for Iowa?

    Again I agree that the fact that ISU has an elite prospect on the verbal commit list is huge and I think that it will (probably already has as CW pointed out) pay dividends for sure. I guess that in the case that things dont end up like we are all hoping that we are more likely to call him a bust than "the most important ever".


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  9. #9
    Publisher
    Points: 792,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,204
    Points
    792,921
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 811
    Given: 209

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Serious question: Would you consider Blake Larsen the most important recruit ever (or even at that time) for Iowa?

    Again I agree that the fact that ISU has an elite prospect on the verbal commit list is huge and I think that it will (probably already has as CW pointed out) pay dividends for sure. I guess that in the case that things dont end up like we are all hoping that we are more likely to call him a bust than "the most important ever".
    It isn't what he eventually does on the field that makes Lazard the most important. It is what he stands for on a national level and the fact that the top-ranked wide receiver (a skill position) in America is choosing Iowa State that makes him the most important, especially if others are following (that's the kicker). I feel like I make that pretty clear in the column...



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    It isn't what he eventually does on the field that makes Lazard the most important. It is what he stands for on a national level and the fact that the top-ranked wide receiver (a skill position) in America is choosing Iowa State that makes him the most important, especially if others are following (that's the kicker). I feel like I make that pretty clear in the column...
    I understand your view and I guess I just dont share it.

    Im going to stop because I dont want it to seem like I'm bashing a future player because I'm not. I just dont agree, I wont feel the way you do until the results are on the field.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 168,254, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    168,254
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 276

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    I think the Lazard part was spot on

    I think it's evidence of the ISU tide turning, starting to maybe. Kids are starting to not remember the ISU of the early 90's. I still have flashbacks to elementary school and everyone making fun of the Cyclones and Jim Walden. Guys like Allen never had that, or not as bad at least



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 35,520, Level: 58
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,130
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,298
    Points
    35,520
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 39

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Seneca Wallace...?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 107,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,312
    Points
    107,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Serious question: Would you consider Blake Larsen the most important recruit ever (or even at that time) for Iowa?

    Again I agree that the fact that ISU has an elite prospect on the verbal commit list is huge and I think that it will (probably already has as CW pointed out) pay dividends for sure. I guess that in the case that things dont end up like we are all hoping that we are more likely to call him a bust than "the most important ever".
    For Iowa? Maybe not (Iowa had more good history before Larsen committed than ISU has right now), but he'd certainly be high on the list if not at the top.

    Lazard committing is a huge neon sign (think bigger than the scoreboard) that Rhoads has got something good cooking in Ames. Who's the last recruit who made that kind of impact before even playing a single snap in cardinal and gold?


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 43,517, Level: 64
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,971
    Points
    43,517
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 0

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    One reason why he may not be is bc he has lots of family ties to the program, is a local kid and is an ISU fan. I think pulling a big recruit from another state that didnt have ties to the program would be different. He is definitely important though if he can get a few more guys to choose ISU over other good schools. Bc one WR is not going to take a FB program to the next level.
    Also, Mister is a good get but he's not someone that people across the country will look at and say wow ISU got him. He's an average three star recruit. ISU got a few players that were rated about the same last year. So has he really made that big of an impact yet?



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 31,445, Level: 54
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,445
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

    Re: Tuesday Musings: Lazard the most important recruit ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    One reason why he may not be is bc he has lots of family ties to the program, is a local kid and is an ISU fan. I think pulling a big recruit from another state that didnt have ties to the program would be different. He is definitely important though if he can get a few more guys to choose ISU over other good schools. Bc one WR is not going to take a FB program to the next level.
    Also, Mister is a good get but he's not someone that people across the country will look at and say wow ISU got him. He's an average three star recruit. ISU got a few players that were rated about the same last year. So has he really made that big of an impact yet?
    Careful . . .


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM