Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 19,993, Level: 43
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wheels686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,192
    Points
    19,993
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Why I hate politics

    Why I hate politics

    A little background first, in my family my dad, my fiancťe are both republicans and my mom and brother are democrats. I am a senior at UNI and have taken many government and history classes. I am Independent and favor no party at all. This will be one of the only times I will post in the politics thread.


    One reason I hate politics is because it has been way to corrupt for a long time. How often does a politician do things for the right reason without any alternative? During their campaign usually they will have to make concessions about what they believe or what they are going to do in order to get funds to raise there campaign. They have to do favors for people (I scratch your back you scratch mine) in order for them to lend their support of the candidate and their money.

    I hate the two party system. I do see the advantages of the party system but I would rather not have it at all. Sure you can run for another party but what are the chances you will win the election. Basically slim to none. And if you are running for president, Zero. I hate how people mark the spot where you vote for every candidate running for that party. People donít even care what that candidate may really be about and is very uneducated about who they are voting for. I believe you should vote for someone after you have heard all of the candidates. Just because they are the same party doesnít mean they have all the same beliefs. Republicans believe in fewer taxes most the time. So itís no conscience that the rich tend to favor this party because they government will be taking less of their money. So because of this the republicans tend to have more money to run their campaigns, which I hate

    The taxpayers pay for some of the ads (supposedly to make it more even for both candidates) which doesnít work. Both parties usually donít have any issues raising money so letís just end this and stop pretending like its equal. Iím aware there are rules about how much people can give, where itís coming from, and everything else before you criticize me. This would work though if we would stop having our candidates take money from people to run their campaign.

    Once you reach the congress most people wonít argue with me that you basically have to be rich to get this far. How many politicians do you see (especially in the senate) who arenít millionaires or very well of to say the least. I donít believe most of them are doing it out of the goodness of their heart or to do the right thing but to build up their egoís even more than it already is at. They want power, to be in control and to be in the headlines as much as possible. Why is it that congress feels the need to hold sessions to talk about raising their own salary? Why the president (who is a millionaire already) is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year because they have the same type of job or position that a CEO has. Once a president is elected why donít they just put their millions in a CD, stock, mutual funds, or interest bearing savings accounts and live off that. Save the Americans the money and put it to better use. Just like the senators should do as well because itís not like they need it.
    The people who would do real good arenít either rich, didnít grow up in the right family, and donít have the time to be able to work on those things. People who are on city councils tend to in my opinion actually try to improve their own community more than there own agenda (compared to senate, house, president, and so on). I do not know any city councilmen myself but have had them speak to my class before. They will never get higher because they arenít willing to kiss a** for money and actually care more about their family and community then to turn their life into a sham.


    When trying to figure out which candidate I want as president it is wrong that I have to think about which politician is lying to me the least. I rarely watch debates or politicians talking mostly because everything they say is bull crap. I believe about 5% of what actually comes out of their mouth. Trust me; I would like to believe something they say. I just canít until someone high up actually does something out of the goodness of their heart, not just helping someone so someday they can use it in a commercial or for PR to help their political future.

    I hate partyís supporting their own party just to support them. It sucks when they do this, but they do it in order to help get their own bill put into legislation and party support for the next election. I do realize they actually do this sometimes by voting for the other side sometimes. But if the republicans put a bill into legislation then the democrats automatically come out by saying how it is a terrible bill and there bill will be better, and vise versa. It could be a good bill by either side and the other side will hate it just because they donít like the other side. I also do see the advantages in this way in that if you want to get a bill through to do some good it might get through because most of the other people wont even read it and may vote it in for the reasons I hate it. But I hate it because were doing things the wrong way. I was taught to do things the right way and be honest. So by this way were getting things done but not in the right way.

    I have voted in the two elections I have been old enough for and I keep saying that I wont vote because they are all corrupt and lying to me anyway, but I will vote anyway and I donít know why.


    Please feel free to respond, but please do not attack me personally. This is just my opinion and I realize you may not agree with parts or all of it. I may add to this later if I forgot something.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 17,509, Level: 40
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    931
    Points
    17,509
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    I agree with about everything you say. I am a registered Republican, but I vote for whoever I feel like voting for. And I am with you I do not believe in voting a straight ticket.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    My biggest problem with out political system is I don't think it necessarily even matters WHO you vote for or who wins.

    With the exception of the current Bush getting us into an un-winnable war and losing American lives every day, I don't think my life would be any different if John Kerry were president.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    It seems that you are arguing that you don't care for party politics. I don't really get into those either, but I do enjoy analyzing political behaviors, including government decision making and public policy issues. In my view politics is about issues not candidates, and it is too bad that many people have a difficult time discussing issues without tying them to specific party stands. I agree that this can be very annoying.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    My biggest problem with out political system is I don't think it necessarily even matters WHO you vote for or who wins.

    With the exception of the current Bush getting us into an un-winnable war and losing American lives every day, I don't think my life would be any different if John Kerry were president.
    Who is elected to the Presidency greatly impacts my living situation. I also suspect that it impacts your situation more than what you are aware of. Although I could provide several examples, I will provide one; the energy legislation that GWB championed. In Iowa the energy legislation funnelled hundreds of millions of dollars into ethanol while in Alaska it is making it possible to development a $30 billion natural gas pipeline. Had John Kerry been elected to the Presidency, I am quite confident that the energy legislation would have taken a different form.

    Partisan legislation is largely blocked when the President and Congress do not share the same political party. Had John Kerry been elected to the Presidency, I suspect that he would have had more success passing legislation than GWB.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 136,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    8,639
    Points
    136,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    My biggest problem with out political system is I don't think it necessarily even matters WHO you vote for or who wins.
    I personally see this as a strength of our system, that by design not much is supposed to get done, unless it is no-brainer kind of things.

    I know there will always be specific examples otherwise, but most of the time your everyday life will not be affected by who is in charge.



  7. #7
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    I personally see this as a strength of our system, that by design not much is supposed to get done, unless it is no-brainer kind of things.

    I know there will always be specific examples otherwise, but most of the time your everyday life will not be affected by who is in charge.
    I agree, full-heartedly.

    I think those who look toward Washington for solutions are mildly foolish.

    Gridlock is Good.


    A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.


    A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    I personally see this as a strength of our system, that by design not much is supposed to get done, unless it is no-brainer kind of things.

    I know there will always be specific examples otherwise, but most of the time your everyday life will not be affected by who is in charge.
    I never really looked at it like this... but it does make sense.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 19,993, Level: 43
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wheels686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,192
    Points
    19,993
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by iceclone View Post
    It seems that you are arguing that you don't care for party politics. I don't really get into those either, but I do enjoy analyzing political behaviors, including government decision making and public policy issues. In my view politics is about issues not candidates, and it is too bad that many people have a difficult time discussing issues without tying them to specific party stands. I agree that this can be very annoying.
    I do hate party politics but that was just one of the paragraph sections of why I do. Politics are way to corrupt and way to much money is poured into elections. The people who could do real well cant get elected because of monetery issues. But you are right about how alot of the problems are about the two party system but because of that alot of other issues arise which has turned into american politics and how issues are dealt with today



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 469,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,650
    Points
    469,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 475
    Given: 325

    Re: Why I hate politics

    I have to disagree with you on one point - the United States doesn't have a 2-party system. Just off the top of my head I can think of the Greens, Libertarians, and Communists that are in America and they have every right to office that both the Democrats and Republicans have. The problem they face is they don't have the political sway that the Democrats and Republicans have, but that's not the system's fault - that's the American citizens' fault. We are the ones that give the Democrats and Republicans so much power by electing only from those two parties. And that's why both Democrats and Republicans are as powerful as they are - generally we as Americans refuse to elect outside of the two parties.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 728,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,081
    Points
    728,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    Why I hate politics

    A little background first, in my family my dad, my fiancťe are both republicans and my mom and brother are democrats. I am a senior at UNI and have taken many government and history classes. I am Independent and favor no party at all. This will be one of the only times I will post in the politics thread.


    One reason I hate politics is because it has been way to corrupt for a long time. How often does a politician do things for the right reason without any alternative? During their campaign usually they will have to make concessions about what they believe or what they are going to do in order to get funds to raise there campaign. They have to do favors for people (I scratch your back you scratch mine) in order for them to lend their support of the candidate and their money.

    I hate the two party system. I do see the advantages of the party system but I would rather not have it at all. Sure you can run for another party but what are the chances you will win the election. Basically slim to none. And if you are running for president, Zero. I hate how people mark the spot where you vote for every candidate running for that party. People donít even care what that candidate may really be about and is very uneducated about who they are voting for. I believe you should vote for someone after you have heard all of the candidates. Just because they are the same party doesnít mean they have all the same beliefs. Republicans believe in fewer taxes most the time. So itís no conscience that the rich tend to favor this party because they government will be taking less of their money. So because of this the republicans tend to have more money to run their campaigns, which I hate

    The taxpayers pay for some of the ads (supposedly to make it more even for both candidates) which doesnít work. Both parties usually donít have any issues raising money so letís just end this and stop pretending like its equal. Iím aware there are rules about how much people can give, where itís coming from, and everything else before you criticize me. This would work though if we would stop having our candidates take money from people to run their campaign.

    Once you reach the congress most people wonít argue with me that you basically have to be rich to get this far. How many politicians do you see (especially in the senate) who arenít millionaires or very well of to say the least. I donít believe most of them are doing it out of the goodness of their heart or to do the right thing but to build up their egoís even more than it already is at. They want power, to be in control and to be in the headlines as much as possible. Why is it that congress feels the need to hold sessions to talk about raising their own salary? Why the president (who is a millionaire already) is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year because they have the same type of job or position that a CEO has. Once a president is elected why donít they just put their millions in a CD, stock, mutual funds, or interest bearing savings accounts and live off that. Save the Americans the money and put it to better use. Just like the senators should do as well because itís not like they need it.
    The people who would do real good arenít either rich, didnít grow up in the right family, and donít have the time to be able to work on those things. People who are on city councils tend to in my opinion actually try to improve their own community more than there own agenda (compared to senate, house, president, and so on). I do not know any city councilmen myself but have had them speak to my class before. They will never get higher because they arenít willing to kiss a** for money and actually care more about their family and community then to turn their life into a sham.


    When trying to figure out which candidate I want as president it is wrong that I have to think about which politician is lying to me the least. I rarely watch debates or politicians talking mostly because everything they say is bull crap. I believe about 5% of what actually comes out of their mouth. Trust me; I would like to believe something they say. I just canít until someone high up actually does something out of the goodness of their heart, not just helping someone so someday they can use it in a commercial or for PR to help their political future.

    I hate partyís supporting their own party just to support them. It sucks when they do this, but they do it in order to help get their own bill put into legislation and party support for the next election. I do realize they actually do this sometimes by voting for the other side sometimes. But if the republicans put a bill into legislation then the democrats automatically come out by saying how it is a terrible bill and there bill will be better, and vise versa. It could be a good bill by either side and the other side will hate it just because they donít like the other side. I also do see the advantages in this way in that if you want to get a bill through to do some good it might get through because most of the other people wont even read it and may vote it in for the reasons I hate it. But I hate it because were doing things the wrong way. I was taught to do things the right way and be honest. So by this way were getting things done but not in the right way.

    I have voted in the two elections I have been old enough for and I keep saying that I wont vote because they are all corrupt and lying to me anyway, but I will vote anyway and I donít know why.


    Please feel free to respond, but please do not attack me personally. This is just my opinion and I realize you may not agree with parts or all of it. I may add to this later if I forgot something.
    I'm going to wait and read this one when it comes out in paperback. Just kidding, I agree with much of that. The problem with abstaining from voting is that you perpetuate the system in place. If anything, this stuff motivates me to try to get the word out when I find someone I like.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 450,884, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,595
    Points
    450,884
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 27

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Rather than abstaining to vote you should find whatever candidate expresses your beliefs the best, no matter how crazy it is. Heck even if it is Ron Paul crazy, you should support them and let your voice be heard. Find a third party you like, and if you can get enough people to join you, you may make a viable party out of it yet. Having a third major party in this country could be one of the best things to ever happend to it.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Rather than abstaining to vote you should find whatever candidate expresses your beliefs the best, no matter how crazy it is. Heck even if it is Ron Paul crazy, you should support them and let your voice be heard. Find a third party you like, and if you can get enough people to join you, you may make a viable party out of it yet. Having a third major party in this country could be one of the best things to ever happend to it.
    Ron Paul is crazy! He has a few views that are WAY out there... but the rest are pretty much okay...



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 19,993, Level: 43
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wheels686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,192
    Points
    19,993
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why I hate politics

    I will vote, I have in every election, im just not happy about it. I feel I should vote but I hate the system. But I will continue to vote. Usually there is atleast one candidate I really hate and have to vote against them (I tried to write why I hate politics in article form



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 728,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,081
    Points
    728,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Why I hate politics

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    I will vote, I have in every election, im just not happy about it. I feel I should vote but I hate the system. But I will continue to vote. Usually there is atleast one candidate I really hate and have to vote against them (I tried to write why I hate politics in article form
    My suggestion would be to find every presidential candidate quiz that you can find on the internet which sorts your political views and matches them with candidates.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM