Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 118

Kansas Athletics and ESPN Announce Multiyear Rights Agreement

Press release from ESPN...

Kansas Athletics and ESPN have agreed to a seven-year agreement, beginning with the 2013-14 academic year, under which ESPN3 annually will carry a minimum of 70 live events distributed nationally, one of the largest deals the multiscreen network has signed to date.

Kansas Athletics announced recently an agreement under which Time Warner Cable will annually air 50 KU contests – including two exhibition and four non-conference men’s basketball games – exclusively on Metro Sports in Kansas City and in the state of Kansas. ESPN3 will deliver those 50 events nationally outside that territory. ESPN3 will also carry – exclusively – a minimum of 20 additional contests nationally, including in Kansas City and the state of Kansas. ESPN3 currently reaches more than 85 million homes nationwide to fans that receive their Internet or video subscription from an affiliated provider. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold Members and on Apple TV.

The 70 events include one regular-season football game, the football spring game, six men’s basketball games (including two exhibition games) and basketball’s Late Night in the Phog, as well as 16 women’s basketball games. ESPN3 will also deliver the Kansas Relays and multiple volleyball, baseball, softball and women’s soccer games.

“ESPN3 continues to serve as a destination for college sports fans, and our agreement with Kansas Athletics extends that commitment,” said John Lasker, vice president of programming and acquisitions, ESPN. “We look forward to delivering these live events to the KU fan base.”

“From the start of this process, our goals were to saturate the Kansas City market, distribute Kansas programming throughout the state and make our live events available nationally,” Kansas Director of Athletics Sheahon Zenger said. “We are meeting these goals through agreements like these with ESPN and Time Warner Cable. Both are significant steps for Kansas Athletics and we are excited about the future for all Jayhawk fans – wherever they may be watching.”

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,211
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 48

Re: Kansas Athletics and ESPN Announce Multiyear Rights Agreement

Interesting. So it is essentially Cyclones.tv except it is being carried nationally by ESPN3. Good outside the box thinking there.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Yeah...this is a great deal. I'm sure there will be those that don't have the right ISP to get ESPN3 but there are ways around that.

Good deal for KU and I'm sure the paycheck will be dandy.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,033
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 11

Wow, wish ISU had that. Cyclones.tv is all well and good, but being able to use various apps and other means to access ESPN3 would be a big advantage. Plus, we could reach a broader audience.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

How much $$$ will they get from it? Wish ISU had a brand they could air on ESPN3 like that....wow. Good thing KU football is such quality.

Legend
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 900

I'm sure this also means that ESPN will be carrying as many KU games outside of this deal as they are contractually able to carry. Big Monday will be even more KU-centric. ESPN has always gotta boost their brands...

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 339

Given the recent OSU president's statement that KU is one of, if not the top, target for further Big Cash Conference expansion this can only be good for the Big 12. It's hard to imagine they'd make significantly more than Big 12 payout + their own ESPN deal and they'd have to play east coast games in all sports.

It sucks but keeping Texas and KU thrilled in our conference are probably the two biggest lynch pins for long term stability. I seriously think KU would be idiots to ever go Big Ten or ACC when the Big 12 is rigged for them to win. No dead ball 3s are EVER going to count against Indiana or Duke.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    Wow, wish ISU had that. Cyclones.tv is all well and good, but being able to use various apps and other means to access ESPN3 would be a big advantage. Plus, we could reach a broader audience.
    Yeah, agreed. Cyclones.tv has its benefits, and being on a channel throughout iowa is good and all (though not for satellite customers and idiotically for a sports channel not in HD), but ESPN3 is a much better platform with nationwide distribution. Must notve offered competitive pricing (as i remember it was mentioned that ESPN3 came around as well but we went with mediacom)

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Interesting. So it is essentially Cyclones.tv except it is being carried nationally by ESPN3. Good outside the box thinking there.
    I thought I read that ISU had considered something like this for Cyclones.tv, before going with Mediacom.

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,211
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    I thought I read that ISU had considered something like this for Cyclones.tv, before going with Mediacom.
    You are correct I believe. I don't know all the particulars but as alarson said above, ESPN3 must not have been a competitive offer.

Although one facet that is not really mentioned...Kansas originally signed their distribution deal locally with Time Warner and ESPN3 is simply carrying these broadcasts.

Perhaps down the road Cyclones.tv could also be carried nationally by an ESPN3 type? Who knows.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 35

Fine as long as ISU doesn't have to play them on ESPN3........just like the LHN, a large % won't have access to it.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Given the recent OSU president's statement that KU is one of, if not the top, target for further Big Cash Conference expansion this can only be good for the Big 12. It's hard to imagine they'd make significantly more than Big 12 payout + their own ESPN deal and they'd have to play east coast games in all sports.

It sucks but keeping Texas and KU thrilled in our conference are probably the two biggest lynch pins for long term stability. I seriously think KU would be idiots to ever go Big Ten or ACC when the Big 12 is rigged for them to win. No dead ball 3s are EVER going to count against Indiana or Duke.
    Debatable about being the #1 target, and Gee is now gone (good riddance)...I still think it is overly optimistic to say that this deal will keep KU happy if BIG comes calling...unless ESPN is interested in fully owning our conference. If anything, I view this as a litmus test that potential suitors could put in their pro forma when considering KU. But, who knows what the state of college football will be if that ever happens...10 teams may be the best model...bigger might fail. The BIG's secrets are out, the field of potential target teams is limited, so there isn't much potential for sneaking around anymore. Realignment in the past was fueled by denial, narrow-mindedness and being blind-sighted...having that out of the picture now is probably our best defense.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Fine as long as ISU doesn't have to play them on ESPN3........just like the LHN, a large % won't have access to it.
    A % to be sure, but access to ESPN3 is very easy to get compared to LHN, at least as of last year.

For example I've been watching loads of content ESPN3 or 360 for practically a decade now with zero effort or expense, I couldn't even watch LHN by going to my local Longhorns sports bar that has every game watch. They couldn't get it through cable, satellite, or web.

I'd be shocked if ISU/KU were somehow on ESPN3 exclusively and people in Iowa who really want to watch can't find a way somehow. (not that I want that football game on ESPN3 either)

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I think the 4 other games that will be on ESPN3 will probably be meaningless non-conference games.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    You are correct I believe. I don't know all the particulars but as alarson said above, ESPN3 must not have been a competitive offer.

Although one facet that is not really mentioned...Kansas originally signed their distribution deal locally with Time Warner and ESPN3 is simply carrying these broadcasts.

Perhaps down the road Cyclones.tv could also be carried nationally by an ESPN3 type? Who knows.
    That would be the perfect solution. On mediacom in iowa for tv on ESPN3 for online\for everywhere else