Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 515

Happy Father's Day!

I hope everyone has a great day today!

What are some of your favorite dad memories either as one or with yours?

I always have fun remembering my dad teaching me how to drive. Especially his lecture about winter: always have a shovel in your trunk, scrape the windows, mirrors, and clean off the head and tail lights.

8/17/12

If you want something more sobering, feel free to visit this blog:
    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 2,112

Re: Happy Father's Day!

I'm at prairie meadows with my dad. First time at PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 138

When we started a family 10 years ago, neither of us imagined we would end up with four kids. And all four girls! Hubby is a great Dad who works hard and has passed his love of the Cyclones, St. Louis Cardinals, and Denver Broncos onto all of us. It may take a small miracle and lots of alcohol to make it through 17+ years of teenage girls.

My Dad was also a Dad of all girls. He is one of the most patient, loving, generous men I know. In my 38 years I have never heard him raise his voice, rather he disciplined us with soft spoken, logical advice. When I was at ISU I washed my car in the winter and leaving the car wash I thought I was driving over a pile of snow. Instead it was a cement parking slab with rebar sticking out under a layer of snow which ripped my brakelines. He wasn't mad when I called him and he came down to help me get it fixed. He simply said, "I bet you won't do that again". Sure enough, I always look at what I may be driving over to avoid that situation again.

He is also one of the biggest Cyclone fans I know. He has season football, wrestling, women's basketball and men's basketball tickets. All while living an hour away and farming until a few years ago. He travels to the NCAA wrestling tourney almost every year to support the Cyclones. He is helping to raise the next generation of Cyclones by providing all the grandkids with Jr Cyclone memberships. He truly bleeds Cardinal and has a heart of Gold.

Addict
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 103

My dad was a huge smart ***. He would always go on how about his mother would call him "Sonny" because he was so bright or brag about getting "☆+'s" when he was in grade school, which were apparently better than "A+'s". One of his favorites hobbies was giving someone a good teasing. When I got home from elementary school he would always ask me what I learned in school and would answer with a, "I don't know," to which he usually responded, "Sounds like you been climbing the stupid tree at school and hit every branch on the way down." Classic Dad.

My favorite story of Dad involves my sweet and loving Aunt C, whom he would relentlessly torment her any chance he could get as she was his favorite target. Some might say that at times would be a little mean spirited about it, but he would always swear his "intentions" were never to cause psychological damage. At the time my Aunt C was trying to find a good man to marry and one of my Dad's favorite jack *** remarks was, "C, by the time you get married, I'm going to be dead." We have heard this line so often that would grin and shake our heads every time he said it.

Well as this story goes my Aunt was lucky enough to find a man to marry and their wedding date was on September 6, 2003. At that point my dad was dead for little over three years. Now I never got the chance to ask him this, but I assume he placed more importance on being right rather than being alive, God rest his soul. But what do you expect since this was the guy that so bright he got "☆+'s" when he was a little kid.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

It was an early Father's Day present for my dad back in May of 2010, but my dad being a huge New York Mets fan (being a native Long Islander), I saw that the Mets were playing the Brewers in Milwaukee, so I bought a couple of tickets behind home plate (for an amazing price, really). Toured the Harley-Davidson Museum that afternoon, then went to Miller Park for the game. Santana pitched an amazing, scoreless 8 innings, but alas they lost in the bottom of the 9th. Kind of a continuation of a running joke, really - no one can recall the last time my dad saw the Mets win a game in person. Despite the loss, it was a great day, and Miller Park is one of our favorite ballparks (although living 20 miles from Comerica Park has its advantages and we can't wait for the day the Mets come to Detroit to play the Tigers - although I'll be a Tigers fan that day).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 312

So my soon to be 3 year old brought me breakfast in bed yesterday, (I had *my* father's day yesterday) and then we did exactly what I wanted to do all day, which happened to be catching up on housework. Today, I spent the day with my wife, 2 sons (3 years next month and 9 months), mom, dad, brother and his wife and 2 daughters (3 years and 3 months), and grandma. We walked to my cousin's house where he was hosting his family, so my uncle and aunt, several of my cousins and their kids. My dad took my son for a ride on his antique tractor, I took my wife for a ride in their convertible.

Honestly, the people who say that high school/college are 'the best years of your life' are giving up too early. There's nothing better than watching your kids run around. Really, though, I see future years getting even better.