Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 209

Credit Karma

I've seen ads for creditkarma.com to get a free credit score. Does anyone know if this site is legit? I assume they are since they're being advertised on TV, but I'm overly cautious about stuff like this so want to know for sure. Thanks

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

Re: Credit Karma

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    I've seen ads for creditkarma.com to get a free credit score. Does anyone know if this site is legit? I assume they are since they're being advertised on TV, but I'm overly cautious about stuff like this so want to know for sure. Thanks
    It's legit. Not a bad service at all.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,386
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 209

Not sure how accurate this site is. I just checked my credit score and it was 60 points lower than it was 8 months ago when I checked it with Experian. The only thing I have done since then is get an auto loan, but I have been current on it every month and have been paying more than the monthly payment, so I don't see how that would drop my score by that much

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 237

Its a great site! It will tell you what your weaknesses are in your credit score and what you should do to improve it. Also has a credit simulator which you put variables such as you pay your remaining debt, decrease your hard inquiries, and etc and it will say what your estimated score would be.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,430
    Given: 376

Not sure how accurate this site is. I just checked my credit score and it was 60 points lower than it was 8 months ago when I checked it with Experian. The only thing I have done since then is get an auto loan, but I have been current on it every month and have been paying more than the monthly payment, so I don't see how that would drop my score by that much

Not an expert, but I use credit karma...it looks to me like it's an 'estimated' credit score, and it can depend on when you check it. I have one credit card with an intentionally low limit, I use it for everything for the cash back, and pay it off with an autopay for the full amount. I checked my score just before the autopay dropped, it 'dinged' me for using too high of a percentage of my available credit. 3 days later, however, it would have been nearly zero.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

Yeah, so far I've found it to be a little low, but I think it's because it's just an estimate. For example, I had been subscribed for about a year, and it had continually shown one score. I didn't think much of it because I wasn't really doing anything that would affect it. But when we started applying for home loans this spring, I found that my actual credit score was significantly higher. Credit Karma's score adjusted up relatively quickly after that because I think they were able to factor in my recent hard inquiries into their estimate.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Not an expert, but I use credit karma...it looks to me like it's an 'estimated' credit score, and it can depend on when you check it. I have one credit card with an intentionally low limit, I use it for everything for the cash back, and pay it off with an autopay for the full amount. I checked my score just before the autopay dropped, it 'dinged' me for using too high of a percentage of my available credit. 3 days later, however, it would have been nearly zero.
    I've never used Credit Karma so I have no idea how accurate it is, but I've looked at a lot of personal credit reports and this is true on real reports as well. Depending on when your company reports each month, your credit cards can look a bit more used than they actually are.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

It's legit. It's been awhile since I started using it but I recall their methodology was to somehow use their own algorithms that mirror your credit score, as opposed to reporting it directly from a credit agency...or something like that. Whether that's changed or not, I don't know

They've since expanded into real-time credit monitoring and other useful services. As always, I take specific product recommendations with a grain of salt because if they're being compensated it can bias their advice. But the site is useful.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 193

Soft pull and hard pull will do that with the score. I have a service that monitors mine and the soft pull is always lower for some reason. Then i also have it happen quite a bit every time i pull a customers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

It's considered a "FAKO" score as compared to the FICO score many associate as their credit score.

It's a useful site however to use for basic monitoring and general score estimate. But be aware your actual FICO score may be as much as 20-30 points in either direction.

CreditSesame is another site that pulls Experian score.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 3

myfico is the only place I know where you can get your real fico score, but credit karma is useful for free monitoring.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.