Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

Breaking down the Iowa State offense (Video)

Spacing 101 With T.J. Otzelberger and Fred Hoiberg - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

With the talk of losing Amardi there has been some talk or questioning about how well our offense will work next year. Not just regarding losing a JUCO forward but graduating some great 3 point shooting guards. Some were stating that next year we won't be as good offensively which I don't agree with. I think we have very capable players to run Fred's system. Now we might not be Top 5 in points per game again, but our offensively efficiency will be the same.

We lose some very accurate 3 point shooters. 46%(McGee), 38%(Babb), 36%(Korie), and 31%(Clyburn). We return 39%(Niang) and 35%(Ejim). Monte Morris can shoot from behind the arc. Matt Thomas can shoot from 3. SDW is suppose to be able to bomb from 3. Bluford is a 3 point guy. Kane is also able to shoot from 3. I haven't heard or know about Hogue.

Do these guys need to replicate the numbers from last season? Nope. Not at all. If you watch TJ break down how our offense is run, we create space to do 1 of 2 things. 1) Get a guy open from 3, or 2) easy bucket in the paint. That is what we want our offense to do. To do that, we need guys on the floor that just have the threat to shoot from 3. Clyburn had the lowest 3 point shot of the graduating guards and he also took the least amount on the year of those 4. But still only at 31% he was still a threat to hit from 3. Defenses needed to respect that. And that is all that is needed to stretch the defense to get open looks.

Basically my point is that if the incoming guys can just be threats behind the arc, hitting anywhere from 36-31%, we will be fine.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 228

Re: Breaking down the Iowa State offense (Video)

I am very optimistic about our team next year to be honest. I think through the season, they will be trying to find their identity as a team with all the new faces and being a young team overall. No doubt in my mind that Ejim, an excellent representative of ISU and experienced senior will be the leader and voice of the team with Niang backing him up. Once the guards figure out where they stand, I think the constant competition to earn their spots will bring something great out in them. And mark my words, this team will be a tourney team yet again.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    I am very optimistic about our team next year to be honest. I think through the season, they will be trying to find their identity as a team with all the new faces and being a young team overall. No doubt in my mind that Ejim, an excellent representative of ISU and experienced senior will be the leader and voice of the team with Niang backing him up. Once the guards figure out where they stand, I think the constant competition to earn their spots will bring something great out in them. And mark my words, this team will be a tourney team yet again.
    Agree. I honestly think that a lot of the people really worried about next year are the same ones worried after Royce left saying next the following year would be a NIT team most likely. Had a shot not gone in on the last second a few times and a whistle gone our way a couple times, we could have been Big 12 champs and Sweet 16 bound.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 564

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Spacing 101 With T.J. Otzelberger and Fred Hoiberg - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

With the talk of losing Amardi there has been some talk or questioning about how well our offense will work next year. Not just regarding losing a JUCO forward but graduating some great 3 point shooting guards. Some were stating that next year we won't be as good offensively which I don't agree with. I think we have very capable players to run Fred's system. Now we might not be Top 5 in points per game again, but our offensively efficiency will be the same.

We lose some very accurate 3 point shooters. 46%(McGee), 38%(Babb), 36%(Korie), and 31%(Clyburn). We return 39%(Niang) and 35%(Ejim). Monte Morris can shoot from behind the arc. Matt Thomas can shoot from 3. SDW is suppose to be able to bomb from 3. Bluford is a 3 point guy. Kane is also able to shoot from 3. I haven't heard or know about Hogue.

Do these guys need to replicate the numbers from last season? Nope. Not at all. If you watch TJ break down how our offense is run, we create space to do 1 of 2 things. 1) Get a guy open from 3, or 2) easy bucket in the paint. That is what we want our offense to do. To do that, we need guys on the floor that just have the threat to shoot from 3. Clyburn had the lowest 3 point shot of the graduating guards and he also took the least amount on the year of those 4. But still only at 31% he was still a threat to hit from 3. Defenses needed to respect that. And that is all that is needed to stretch the defense to get open looks.

Basically my point is that if the incoming guys can just be threats behind the arc, hitting anywhere from 36-31%, we will be fine.
    Kane can't shoot unless something has changed.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,201
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 520

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Agree. I honestly think that a lot of the people really worried about next year are the same ones worried after Royce left saying next the following year would be a NIT team most likely. Had a shot not gone in on the last second a few times and a whistle gone our way a couple times, we could have been Big 12 champs and Sweet 16 bound.
    It's a lot of the same doubt (for different reasons) — loss of several key players and bringing in several unknown contributors.

Fred has been able to orchestrate significant progress by season's end the past two years, with similar sets of question marks, so I have confidence it'll happen again. I'm curious to see if he can get the train rolling out of the station a little sooner this time.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    What I saw had him at 27% at Marshall. We know Fred can teach guys better form. I remember reading how Niang wasn't great from 3 because of form and upon changing his form his percent increased.

While I know that doesn't mean Kane will or should be expected, the trend has been most of our guards increase 3 point percentage under Fred.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,130
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 0

Regressing to #3 from #1 in three pointers made is going to be the end of the world. I don't think our improved defense and further maturation from Niang and Ejim will be enough to overcome that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,130
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169

Kane also didn't have the three point openings like he will here, same with Bluford.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

I don't think that Kane, Hogue, or Bubu will be much of a threat from beyond the arc.

However, I just get the feeling that Matt Thomas is going to be a beast from 3. I'm not sure if he will be as good as McGee was last year, but he will be close IMO.

I'm hoping that SDW, Bluford, and Morris can light it up too.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 710
    Given: 1,237

He hasn't really shot much worse than Clyburn did for ISU this past year or Garrett did two years before. I think he will be fine.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 36

Weren't you also saying that Korie couldn't shoot before last season? He seemed to do pretty good.

Walk On
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    He hasn't really shot much worse than Clyburn did for ISU this past year or Garrett did two years before. I think he will be fine.
    The instant improvement of Diante Garrett's 3-point shot under CFH as opposed to what we saw from him under McDermott was uncanny. Although Clyburn shot a pretty modest percentage overall, I feel like he hit more clutch 3's than his percentage would seem to suggest. Korie turned himself into a better-than-average 3-point threat after being streaky at best from behind the arc in 3 years at Michigan St. I think hoping for a jump from 27% to 31% from behind the arc for Kane is a reasonable expectation given what we've seen in terms of the progression of less-than-pure jump-shooters under CFH.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 564

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Weren't you also saying that Korie couldn't shoot before last season? He seemed to do pretty good.
    I don't think so. I don't recall having an opinion one way or the other about Korie. Kane is not a good 3 point shooter per fan comments and statistics. I'm still damn glad we have him.

Kane shot 30% last year but he made hay in 3-4 games and the rest he was really poor. He just has to keep the defense honest, he doesn't have to be a sniper.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He just has to keep the defense honest, he doesn't have to be a sniper.
    Yep. Fully agree. Just make sure you are a threat to create space.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Main concern I've heard is "can we guard" people. I don't know if we'll need to score as much or not, but we lost some experienced, and physical defenders.