Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 216,418, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,170
    Points
    216,418
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 203

    Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Funny how these recruits think. He went to G Town because there was a KKK rally when he went ot Chapel Hill. Someone forward this story to Rashad Vaughn. J/KY! SPORTS


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 9,641, Level: 29
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    chadly82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,062
    Points
    9,641
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 125

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Funny how these recruits think. He went to G Town because there was a KKK rally when he went ot Chapel Hill. Someone forward this story to Rashad Vaughn. J/KY! SPORTS
    I like how he could have chosen another school as well and Dean Smith said....no if youre not going here, go to GTown. Unfortunately that reminds me of Tim Floyd all too much.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 726,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,845
    Points
    726,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 981
    Given: 521

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Hard to blame him. I would think that would create quite the negative impression.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 643,723, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,478
    Points
    643,723
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,199
    Given: 116

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Hard to blame him. I would think that would create quite the negative impression.
    Yeah I can't imagine that would give someone a warm fuzzy feeling, doesn't seem too funny.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 273,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,910
    Points
    273,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 900

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Don't give squawk fans attending ISU any ideas...


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 210,729, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,662
    Points
    210,729
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 708
    Given: 38

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Don't give squawk fans attending ISU any ideas...
    Or the racists on twitter threatening to kill EJ.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 154,067, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,359
    Points
    154,067
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 11

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Funny how these recruits think. He went to G Town because there was a KKK rally when he went ot Chapel Hill. Someone forward this story to Rashad Vaughn. J/KY! SPORTS
    I've always found it remarkable that talented young black athletes would chose programs like Ole Miss or Georgia (among some other SEC programs) where you so often see Southern Cross flags flying around. I know Athens is pretty progressive but man, Oxford, Starkville, Tuscaloosa? Call me an ignorant Yankee but it seems like football would have to be the absolute ONLY thing in your life to choose Oxford, Mississippi.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 85,096, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,104
    Points
    85,096
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I've always found it remarkable that talented young black athletes would chose programs like Ole Miss or Georgia (among some other SEC programs) where you so often see Southern Cross flags flying around. I know Athens is pretty progressive but man, Oxford, Starkville, Tuscaloosa? Call me an ignorant Yankee but it seems like football would have to be the absolute ONLY thing in your life to choose Oxford, Mississippi.
    I've always wondered what its said to a young African-American athlete when they visit Iowa State and realize Jack Trice is the ONLY Division 1 football stadium named after an African-American.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 51,925, Level: 70
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,265
    Points
    51,925
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I've always found it remarkable that talented young black athletes would chose programs like Ole Miss or Georgia (among some other SEC programs) where you so often see Southern Cross flags flying around. I know Athens is pretty progressive but man, Oxford, Starkville, Tuscaloosa? Call me an ignorant Yankee but it seems like football would have to be the absolute ONLY thing in your life to choose Oxford, Mississippi.
    Oxford, MS is a beautiful town, all the people are very nice, have a great school atmosphere and Saturday's there during football season kick-***!



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 56,392, Level: 73
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,530
    Points
    56,392
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 55

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I've always found it remarkable that talented young black athletes would chose programs like Ole Miss or Georgia (among some other SEC programs) where you so often see Southern Cross flags flying around. I know Athens is pretty progressive but man, Oxford, Starkville, Tuscaloosa? Call me an ignorant Yankee but it seems like football would have to be the absolute ONLY thing in your life to choose Oxford, Mississippi.
    Ironically enough most southern blacks seem to be less sensitive about racism. It is usually Northerners like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson (spent most of adult life in Northern sates) who like to beat the racism drum. If you grow up in Mississippi you don't even seem to notice.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 154,067, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,359
    Points
    154,067
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 11

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Oxford, MS is a beautiful town, all the people are very nice, have a great school atmosphere and Saturday's there during football season kick-***!
    Oh, I have no doubt...if you're white. I saw a piece on The Grove, it looked awesome...and completely white. I've also seen Southern Cross flags flying around in their nice stadium. I wonder if all those nice people in Oxford could tell you when Ole Miss was integrated and how that all went down.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 643,723, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,478
    Points
    643,723
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,199
    Given: 116

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Ironically enough most southern blacks seem to be less sensitive about racism. It is usually Northerners like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson (spent most of adult life in Northern sates) who like to beat the racism drum. If you grow up in Mississippi you don't even seem to notice.
    Racism: Eventually you'll just get used to it.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 51,925, Level: 70
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,265
    Points
    51,925
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Oh, I have no doubt...if you're white. I saw a piece on The Grove, it looked awesome...and completely white. I've also seen Southern Cross flags flying around in their nice stadium. I wonder if all those nice people in Oxford could tell you when Ole Miss was integrated and how that all went down.
    I lived just outside of Oxford up until this past January and there were just as many black people as there were white people in the Grove on Saturdays and at the games. Everybody was very nice to each other and there were no signs of racism on game day.

    Now, I am not saying there is no racism in the south, b/c there def is (as there is in the north) but to South, the Stars and Bars are not about racism but about Southern Pride and Heritage. That pride is for both blacks and whites b/c I saw black people also waving or wearing the Confederate flag in Oxford.

    It is just a different culture and way of life in the south.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 154,067, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,359
    Points
    154,067
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 11

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I lived just outside of Oxford up until this past January and there were just as many black people as there were white people in the Grove on Saturdays and at the games. Everybody was very nice to each other and there were no signs of racism on game day.

    Now, I am not saying there is no racism in the south, b/c there def is (as there is in the north) but to South, the Stars and Bars are not about racism but about Southern Pride and Heritage. That pride is for both blacks and whites b/c I saw black people also waving or wearing the Confederate flag in Oxford.

    It is just a different culture and way of life in the south.
    I'm sure this is all true but it doesn't make it less strange to me. Trust me, I've seen the "Heritage Not Hate" bumper sticker many times having lived in NC. To me the Southern Cross (which is the battle flag and not the same as the Stars & Bars, which is the national flag) is a symbol of the military actions of the Confederate Army which killed thousands of Americans including Iowans and had as its core purpose to facilitate the split of the Confederate States so that they could keep their slaves and continue slavery as a legal endeavor.

    Add that to the relatively recent and acrimonious integration of Ole Miss and it just seems to be an unsavory situation.

    But like I said, I'm an ignorant Yankee. My team struggles and our stadium is named after a black man...


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  15. #15
    Walk On
    Points: 8,844, Level: 28
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    182
    Points
    8,844
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

    Re: Patrick Ewing and the KKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    To me the Southern Cross (which is the battle flag and not the same as the Stars & Bars, which is the national flag) is a symbol of the military actions of the Confederate Army which killed thousands of Americans including Iowans and had as its core purpose to facilitate the split of the Confederate States so that they could keep their slaves and continue slavery as a legal endeavor.
    As you say, that's what it means to YOU but I would think your opinion matters much less than those who live there.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM