Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 313

Volleyball releases its 2013 schedule

The following is a press release courtesy of Iowa State athletics communications.

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State announced a 27-match schedule for the 2013 season on Tuesday that includes nine teams from last season’s NCAA Tournament, including two matches against reigning national champion and Big 12 rival Texas.

Iowa State will play 11 home matches during the season, including two Saturday matches at 4 p.m. CST against conference opponents. Two home matches will begin at times to be determined based on a Cyclone football home game on the same day.

The Cyclones begin the season on the road at North Dakota for three matches against South Dakota State, North Dakota and Texas A&M, who lost to the Longhorns in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. A contest at Northern Iowa, another tournament team from a year ago, ends the four-match road trip to start the season.

Returning home, Iowa State hosts the annual Iowa State Challenge Sept. 6-8 at Hilton Coliseum, hosting teams from San Diego and Illinois.

A road trip to Nebraska for the Ameritas Player’s Challenge, Sept. 12-14, will test Iowa State who will face 2012 tournament teams from Dayton, St. Mary’s and Nebraska. Iowa State defeated the top-ranked Huskers last season in Ames but is unfamiliar with Dayton, whom Iowa State has not faced since 1996, and St. Mary’s, a first-time opponent. Times for the tournament’s matches have not been announced.

Iowa State closes the bulk of its non-conference season at Iowa in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series match on Sept. 21. The Hawkeyes pushed the Cyclones to five sets last season at the Iowa State Challenge, but Tenisha Matlock’s career-high 20 kills led Iowa State to the 3-2 win.

The team returns home to open the conference season against Baylor on Sept. 28 before taking off for Texas Tech and Oklahoma. After hosting Kansas State and West Virginia, the Cyclones play back-to-back road matches at Texas and Kansas, two of the squads to defeat Iowa State on the road last season, both matches going five sets.

October ends with home contests against TCU and Texas Tech, and the Cyclones take to the road against Baylor before breaking from conference play for a meeting with South Dakota at Hilton on Nov. 5. Four days later, the Cyclones are back on their home court for a match with Oklahoma before traveling to West Virginia on Nov. 13.

The last two weeks of the season include road trips to TCU and Kansas State, for the Wildcats’ final home match of the season, and Iowa State will host Kansas and then close out the home season on Nov. 27 by celebrating Senior Night against the Longhorns, whom Iowa State defeated in the 2012 regular season finale.

The NCAA will announce the tournament pool on Sunday Dec. 1 before first and second round play begins at selected sites,Dec. 5-7. NCAA Regionals will be played Dec. 13-14 for the chance at spot in the NCAA Tournament Championship, Dec. 19 and 21 in Seattle, Wash.

All times listed on the schedule at cyclones.com are central and are subject to change.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,629
    Given: 1,569

Re: Volleyball releases its 2013 schedule

yay! excited for this year!

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 478

Darn, the closest they come to me this year is Iowa City and St. Louis. Maybe we'll have to make the trip to Ames this fall for a volleyball match. Even better, maybe setup a visit for one of the VB-FB double headers.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Darn, the closest they come to me this year is Iowa City and St. Louis. Maybe we'll have to make the trip to Ames this fall for a volleyball match. Even better, maybe setup a visit for one of the VB-FB double headers.

yeah no, Northern IL tournament this year. That was as close as they got me and that was still a solid 90 minutes away.

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    My favorite trip to Ames in years was catching the 2012 Oklahoma Football Game, Kansas Volleyball, a WBB game and MBB all in a few days. Yeah! Check the schedules, see what coordinates for you and pick up what you can in one trip.

Last edited by StClone; 08-21-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    yeah no, Northern IL tournament this year. That was as close as they got me and that was still a solid 90 minutes away.
    Gotta find a way to play in Illinois every year! So much talent here and it would be great for recruiting.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by ChiClones View Post
    Gotta find a way to play in Illinois every year! So much talent here and it would be great for recruiting.
    With as much as we recruit and have recruited WI and Illinois, I am surprised not to see anything East of Iowa City on the schedule.

Would also love to see us playing at least one Pac squad too, but guess that will have to wait until tourney time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    With as much as we recruit and have recruited WI and Illinois, I am surprised not to see anything East of Iowa City on the schedule.

Would also love to see us playing at least one Pac squad too, but guess that will have to wait until tourney time.
    With Jenelle being from San Diego, I bet CJ-L schedules something out there before she's done.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 13

We might satisfy our California obligations with a sand VB trip, but that would be a different season. The Nebraska tournament could be a nice road trip as they expect to play in their new home - a remodeled Devaney.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Saw this June 30 article and don't know if it was posted earlier. Refers to the schedule. Also, high praise from CJL on Hudson:

Big 12 Volleyball Previews - Sports Insider Today

"She is just a tremendous athlete," Johnson said, " ... and probably one of the best at the setter position that I have ever coached."She is such a nice player in so many areas," Johnson added. "She has great jump serve that is going to cause problems for opponents and it is fun to coach a player like her."

Hahn, Hurtt, Bigbee, Malloy and Hudson were highlighted.

Other quotes:

"We have a very tough early season schedule," said Johnson-Lynch, ..., "but we have the potential to be really good by November and December."

"(Texas) returns all but one player," the ISU coach said, "they are stacked. I think it is going to be a case of everybody chasing Texas."

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post

Hahn, Hurtt, Bigbee, Malloy and Hudson were highlighted.

Malloy's departure will have some impact on where we were picked to finish. With Andie we had the potential for a dominate front line. Now, we have more that has to be settled as we go into the season.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 204

Quote Originally Posted by StClone View Post
    Malloy's departure will have some impact on where we were picked to finish. With Andie we had the potential for a dominate front line. Now, we have more that has to be settled as we go into the season.
    I still think it's Texas and ISU - then a big gap. Of course, Texas will be ranked #1 in the first nationwide poll.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I still think it's Texas and ISU - then a big gap. Of course, Texas will be ranked #1 in the first nationwide poll.
    I don't think KU is that far behind.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I've seen multiple comments about KU and KSU finishing higher than us. I'm not sure that I buy that (though Pelger is returning for KSU, and Jarmoc for a senior-heavy KU), but I do not think it will be a cake-walk to 2nd place.

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 478

Losing Andie Malloy is a huge hit. She had an amazing freshman season for us last year. It really hurts to lose her from the front line.